Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Lost City Of Atlantis

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,076 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 May 2001 - 11:14 AM

What do you all think about Atlantis ? Did it really exist - an entire civilization of highly advanced human beings living thousands of years ago, or is it just nothing more than a legend. There have been hundreds of suggestions regarding it's whereabouts - but to date, nobody has been successful in locating the site. Is this because it doesn't exist, or is it because it's secrets are still lying at the bottom of the sea somewhere, waiting to be found ?

#2    Jamie

Jamie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 May 2001 - 05:58 PM

This is one of my favorite mysteries.  I watched a very interesting show on the Discovery channel a while back saying that Atlantis could be South America.  From all the information I have heard and read about the subject I would have to go with the South America theory.  That is if it existed at all.  I believe it did.

Here is a site that has the same idea as the show I watched.
http://home1.gte.net/purcell9/atlantisone.htm

Jamie

#3    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 11 May 2001 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the site, Jamie, but my computer keeps taking me to Verizon/my account.  What am I doing wrong? Help! Nora

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#4    Jamie

Jamie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 May 2001 - 09:17 PM

I dont know what happened to the site.  I had it in my favorites and I just copied the address but didnt look at it.  Try this site.  I have been reading it all day and its very interesting too.  :D
http://www.humanrevelations.com/

Jamie

#5    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 12 May 2001 - 07:51 AM

Oh yeh, that's much better, thanks!! Really interesting!

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 14 May 2001 - 06:16 AM

Plato (lived about 427-347 B.C., although there is some uncertainty as to his birth and his death)was a Greek philosopher and a student of Socrates until Socrates death in 399 B.C. at the hands of the Athenian authorities. After his teacher's death, Plato traveled extensively, including journeys in Egypt. In 387 B.C. he returned to Athens and founded the Academy, a school of science and philosophy, that became the model for the modern university. Perhaps the most famous student of the Academy was Aristotle whose teachings have had tremendous impact on philosophy through today. Due to the Academy's safekeeping, many of Plato's works have survived. His extensive writings are in the form of letters and dialogues.

Timaeus and Critias, two of Plato's dialogues, are the only existing original written records which specifically refer to Atlantis. The dialogues are conversations between Socrates(Plato's teacher), Hermocrates, Timeaus, and Critias. Apparently in response to a prior talk by Socrates about ideal societies, Timeaus and Critias agree to entertain Socrates with a tale that is "not a fiction but a true story."
The story is about the conflict between the ancient Athenians and the Atlantians about 9000 years before Plato's time. Knowledge of the distant past apparently forgotten to the Athenians of Plato's day, the story of Atlantis was conveyed  by Egyptian priests to Solon. Solon passed the tale to Dropides, the great-grandfather of Critias. The dialogs were written about 360 B.C.

It said in part about a vast empire from islands in the Atlantic Ocean, spreading through Europe, Africa, parts of Asia. An earthquake, causing great floods, are said to have buried Atlantis under the ocean.

There was a few references to "straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles". Many people to this day believe the Pillars of Heracles are the Rock of Gibralter, making the mentioned strait the straits of Gibralter. And a vast ocean on the other side with Atlantis being an island in the Ocean. Must have been a big island, because its referanced more than once about the island being larger than Lybia and Asia. Obviously not refering to modern Lybia and Asia.

Jamie, I checked out the web sight you mentioned. Very interesting. Lots of compelling evidense backing Gilbert De Jongs theory. I strongly recommend the web sight for anyone interested in this topic, and please write back what you think, not just about Mr. Jongs theory but any other you might have, or have read about.

As for what I think. Im still not sure. I seen a few documentaries about Atlantis, and looked at various web sights. There is a lot of different theories, and some seem convincing. Anytime I see different theories about the same idea seem convincing, it leaves me unconvinced. Not that it happened at all, but as to which is the right theory. It just might be that the right theory hasnt been discovered yet.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#7    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,076 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 May 2001 - 03:50 PM

I have heard some suggestions that "Atlantis" refers to the Continent of America, back in the days of Plato. Being that America is a huge land mass in the Atlantic, it's possible that the legend may have stemmed from early explorers who had reached America long before Columbus. With there being no records of such explorers however, it is ulimately impossible to know how accurate such a theory might be.

#8    Lori Cordini

Lori Cordini

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 May 2001 - 11:53 PM

No doubt that it existed.  Have you seen the pictures of the pyramids and lost cities near Japan? Go to crystalinks.com and you will find a link there.  Fantastic stuff to think about.

But I believe, for course, that civilizations have come and gone on this planet...like the one we are now nearing the end of....it doesn't necessarily mean total anniliation, but a new beginning!

-watana

#9    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 09:49 AM

SaRuMaN

I have heard that American continent theory too. There is some credible evidence that Atlantis was the American continent. I dont read Greek, but I have read the whole English translation. Or was it an English re-translation? No telling how many times it was revised so we can understand it. But here is three FACTS about the American continent, and how it MAY relate to Atlantis:

1) Plato described Atlantis as a very large land mass in the Atlantic Ocean, and further describes Atlantis by stating that the surrounding land may be most truly called  the boundless continent. (like the Ameican continent)

2) The worlds land masses were closer together 11,000 years ago too, making the Atlantic Ocean smaller, and more navigatable.

3) 11,000 years ago was the end of the pleistocene period. Plato wrote about Atlantis 9000 years before his time(about 11,000 years ago), during the final years of the Atlantis Empire, when they invaded, and were beaten by the Athenians(modern day Greece). If that was near the end for Atlantis, than that means they were around well into the pleistocene period. Plato's story spoke of the many animals that were on Atlantis, including elephants. During the pleistocene period, mammoths and mastadons were in abundance on the American continent.

Like SaRuMaN stated, it may be impossible to know how accurate any theory can be.

Homer

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#10    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 16 June 2001 - 10:40 AM

I found this picture titled 'Edge of Atlantis'.
It might of been what Atlaitis look like but probably without the UFO. original.gif

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#11    Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2001 - 01:54 AM

I currently read in a Polish magazine, which is dedicated to these kind of mysteries, that about a year ago scientists discovered underwater ruins of a great civilization that lay peacfully on the sea bed off the coast of Japan. Columns and buildings revealed an ancient alphabet, which sadly couldn't be translated. We may never know what kind of people inhabited the area, but many historians and scientists researching this anceint city have few doubts that this is a piece of the puzzle of Atlantis.

#12    Mr-X

Mr-X

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 08:56 AM

I am new here but i would like to share my thoughts on the lost city of atlantis. After reading many books i came to the conclusion that atlantis really did exist,some say that it lays sunken under the atlantic others say it is South America,but no body knows, i believe it could of have been Antartica. Plato writes that atlantis was bigger than Asia and Libya put together if you grab a map and put those two together thats huge. You might be thinking "Antartica!" its too cold for any civilisation to live there. Antartica was supposedly discovered in 1818 but a map from the 1500's called Piri Reis map clearly shows the northen coast of Antartica. Geological evidence suggests that the latest date it could have been surveyed and charted is in an ice free condition 4000 B.C to be exact. This map was discovered in constantinople Turkey and researches believe it was passed down through the ages from the Minoans and Phoenicians the great sea people. Anyway this map shows a continent that had plant life, animals and human beings Antartica seems to be the right size if you take platos description into consideration.

Who were they? I believe that the Atlanteans came from the stars, they are the so called sky gods that many cultures talk about. They were advanced in technology, there descendants were responsible for the Pyramids at Giza, South America and other continents. The lost civilisations of Mu and Lemuria were also descendents of this great civilisation. A great catastrophe destroyed the city and others of its kind, this was the great flood of the Bible or the last ice age. This is why Antartica is full of ice. It destroyed Atlantis and the survivors went all around the world thats why we have pyramids in the middle east and south america and other areas of the world.

This is what i Believe.

"To only believe in what is commonly accepted is blatant ignorance"

Oh, you should never doubt what no one is sure about.
- Willy Wonka

#13    Jamie

Jamie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 07:07 PM

MrX,

Thats a very interesting debate you have there.  I never thought about Antartica.  And if it was thousands of years ago, all the continents were closer together.  That would mean Antartice would be farther North and it wouldnt have been so cold.  Ill go do some research on this and if I find anything good Ill post it.

Jamie

#14    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 22 June 2001 - 08:57 PM

Jamie,

I'll help you along in your investigation. The Piri Reis map, although quite old, isn't all that mysterious. Most of today's speculation is based on one mans interpretation ( a Dr. Hapgood in 1966) of the map, and one which has been proven to be frought with errors. Here's a quote;

"There may, in fact, be an even simpler explanation of the presence of "Antarctica" on the Piri Reis map. To start with, as Hapgood admits, about 900 miles of South American coastline are missing from the map: below the Rio de la Plata the coast simply turns eastward. And, interestingly, if this eastward section of coast is looked at vertically--that is, as continuing south instead of east--it does bear a remarkable resemblance to the actual east coast of South America from below Rio de la Plata down to Tierra del Fuego. Some of the smaller coastal features, moreover, jibe with a modern map as well, and the small group of three islands (Isla de Sara) could then be identified as the Falkland Islands, and the wedge-shaped projection at the most easterly point of the line could correspond to the tip of South America.

To put it more simply, Piri Reis, or the scribe who copied his work, may have realized, as he came to the Rio de la Plata, that he was going to run off the edge of his valuable parchment if he continued south. So he did the logical thing and turned the coastline to the east, marking the turn with a semicircle of crenelations, so that he could fit the entire coastline on his page."

Here's a link to a more detailed study of the Piri Reis map and the error's and misrepresentations caused by Dr. Hapgood;

http://www.intersurf.com/~heinrich/FOG9.html

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#15    Mr-X

Mr-X

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 June 2001 - 04:27 AM

There isnt only one map out there there is the The Oronteus Finaeus map in which shows the Antartica with ice free coasts, mountains and rivers there is an early nineteenth century russian map showing the existence of Antartica, at that time unknown to the world so people were navigating the seas more than 4000 years ago and had knowledge to do it. Civilisation they (say)began 2000 years ago crap hey.his map also shows Australia.

Oh, you should never doubt what no one is sure about.
- Willy Wonka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users