Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Donnie Darko

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Dysmorphia

Dysmorphia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 10:51 PM

I don't know if this has been posted before but what are your opinions on this movie?
It's one of my favorites actually. To those who are wondering, it deals a lot with time travel.                                                

#2    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 08 February 2003 - 11:43 PM

Not so much 'time travel', more of a specific 'rift' in time and the consequences therein. Great movie, though, I enjoyed it thoroughly. It does take a little getting used to, it is a strange film. wacko.gif

Magikman  smile.gif                                                  

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#3    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 12:17 AM

i remember a film that delt with timetravel and fate....it was called "Twelve Monkeys"                                                

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#4    Test_Bear

Test_Bear

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 01:40 AM

"Donnie Darko" is a great film. I'm a film critic in real life (outside of the Internet), and I regard it as the best film I've seen.

Then again, I also enjoy black coffee straight and hot peppers with pineapple.

"12 Monkeys" is pretty damn good too.

"If I laugh at any human thing 'tis so I do not weep."     -Lord Byron

#5    CASTOR

CASTOR

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

• "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." -George Bernard Shaw

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:18 PM

i am a studying Psychologist, and i see it as all the symptoms of Schizophrenia. i do agree that it was a great movie, but these people really believe these things are happening. they hear,see, and feel all kinds of things that arnt there. im not saying the end of the movie doesnt hint that he did travel in time, i am just questioning that it all could have been a hallucination. Good movie though.                                                  

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

#6    Ronin6th

Ronin6th

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:22 PM

I saw and almost understood some weird films in my life, but Donnie Darko was one of the strangest, I couldn't grab the end of the story...

Lilo and Stitch was less difficult!  wink.gif                                                  

If you cannot be the First, be the One.

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#7    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:51 PM

Oooohhhh I agree with you Ronin  biggrin.gif  I loved Lilo & Stitch  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif                                                  

#8    loganXman

loganXman

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 314 posts

• I go or i wanna go..

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:22 PM

so y was he laughing when he knew he was goin to die? and was he goin to become like Frank?  what was Frank? and how did everything rewind? im with Rac. im confused a bit as well?  Can anyone please answer me these questions.                                                  

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand.
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We shall flow a river forth to Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomie Partris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."
-Boondock Saints

#9    Dysmorphia

Dysmorphia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 01:37 PM

There could be two reasons why he's laughing at the end.
1) He thought it was all just a dream. Just like when the pre-manipulated living wake up from their dream.
2) He knows he's dying, but he knows that everything will be fine. A good laugh he has.

There were two versions of Frank. The Manipulated Dead version and the Manipulated living version. In a Tangent Universe, somehow they know that if they don't do these things to Donnie then they will die, the world will end.
So, everything that has happened to Donnie lead him to Roberta Sparrow's cellar door, lead to the death of Gretchen, and then finally him killing Frank.
So basically it's a tale of fate.
When Donnie was jabbing the knife into Frank's eye in the bathroom, it was foreshadowing the death of Frank. Rent or buy the DVD, it explains a lot with the Jake Gyllenhaal and Richard Kelly commentary. Read the philosophy of time travel too, it's helpful.

I hate how some film critics don't understand the movie. I guess a good film nowadays has to be watched once in order for you to take everything in.

I love this movie so if anyone else has any questions it certainly wouldn't be a bother for me to answer them!                                                  

#10    djdodo

djdodo

Poltergeist

• 2,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 04:53 PM

Havn't seen it sad.gif                                                  

<span style='color:pink'>Luv is unpredictable. luv's Blind!
Luv is like a Diamond, when it brakes it turns in to dust.
Dont buy luv with money, it never works</span>

#11    Burgundy Johnson

Burgundy Johnson

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 01:27 AM

Pretty disturbing movie. That damn bunny suit gave me nightmares. It was good and all, but a little too much on the strange side for me! sad.gif  unsure.gif                                                  

#12    Ronin6th

Ronin6th

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:42 AM

I usually enjoy the strange side, but only when I can grab it...that's why I agree with you Joe, and why my impressions about this film are not determined... smile.gif                                                  

If you cannot be the First, be the One.

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#13    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:13 AM

I actually watched this the other night and what a good film.
Spent ages afterwards thinking about it and all the things it meant.
I will be watching it again this weekend to see if there was anything I missed...I love films that make you think.

#14    Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• This is what I want to be
    And this is what I give to you,
    because I get it free.

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:31 PM

I found DD confusing, but i guess that's why it's such a great movie. bounce.gif   It's one of those flicks that you need to watch again, discuss it, watch it again, give the ol grey matter a workout, discuss it some more and then finally, you find that DD has overtaken blink.gif  your life the universe and the entire cosmic plan we dwell on. You finally start to have visions of Frank (the rabbit) yourself, from there Frank tutors you on Quantum Physics, the space time continuium, and WHY we only have a 2 day weekend crying.gif......Well........., maybe I was exagerating over the Cosmic Plan bit. wink2.gif  

BTW -  Does anyone else think that Jake Gyllenhaal (DD I think) is a dead ringer for Toby Maguire (The Spiderman Dude). Or am I just working to hard at the mo..disgust.gif.!!!!!

Also i was thinking of posting a topic " Films that make you think" just pinched the idea of Ms Jones...sorry dontgetit.gif !!

gunsmilie.gif

#15    ambyglam

ambyglam

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• When in disgrace with fortunes and mens eyes,
    Be glam!

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (Blue_Moon @ Mar 8 2004, 03:31 PM)
[BTW -  Does anyone else think that Jake Gyllenhaal (DD I think) is a dead ringer for Toby Maguire (The Spiderman Dude). Or am I just working to hard at the mo..disgust.gif.!!!!!

i thought the same thing they are very alike, both quit fit!

that film has lead to many debates in our house actually, and no-one agrees!

thats y its so great because it can be interprited so many ways.

ph34r.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users