Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Living Dinosaurs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Isanguard

Isanguard

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 137 posts

• Yesterday is history,Tommorow is mystery,Today is gift

Posted 21 March 2003 - 12:44 PM

The most dramatic prospect must surely be the existence of living species of dinosaur,and the enigmatic animal currently attaracting most ettention with regard to this possibility has already inspired several recent scientific expeditions to the immense Likouala swamplands in the People's Republic of the Congo (formerly the French Congo), where it reputedly dwells.It is known to the pygmies and to western settlers there as the mokele-mbembe.
    Eyewitnesses describe it as very large aquatic beast,approximately 9meters(30 feet) in total lenght and reddish-brown in color,with a burly elephant-sized body,relatively short,thick legs,a lenghty tail,a slender elongated neck terminating in a small head,and very characteristic three -toed foootprints.This discreption is irresistibly reminiscent of a sauropod dinosaur,like the famous Apatosaurus (previously called Brontosaurus) and Diplodocus.Indeed,when scientists have shown illustrated animal book to native observe of the mokele-mbembe,who have no palaeontological knowledge, they have unhesitatingly selected (and without ant prompting) picture of sauropods as the closest portrayals of this mystery beast

Do you guys think that dinosaurs still living  mellow.gif                                                  

"Life is infinitely strange than anything which the mind of man could ivent."          

~ Sherlock Holmes ~

#2    emmy

emmy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 01:18 PM

I found this about supposed living dinosaurs Isanguard:

Ever since the 19th century when the first dinosaur fossils were identified by scientists, stories and rumours suggested that the extinction of the dinosaurs was not as complete as it seemed, and that at least one species of these great reptiles survived, living in the swamps of central Africa.

The tales told of a creature living in the swamps and rivers. The animal was called, "Jago-Nini" which meant "giant diver." Although the actual creature had never been seen by western eyes, explorers were told that it, "Comes out of the water and devours people." Footprints were examined by western scientists which were, "about the size of a good frying pan in circumference and three claws instead o'five."

Many tribes were familiar with this elusive animal so the creature goes by a variety of different names including "dingonek," "Ol-umaina," and "chipekwe." Dispite great efforts explorers never saw direct evidence of the creatures existence for themselves, only hearing the tales from the natives

An exception was when, in 1932, British cryptozoologist Ivan Sanderson was traveling in Africa and came across large hippo-like tracks in a region with no hippos. He was told by the natives that they were made by a creature named the "mgbulu-eM'bembe". Later Sanderson saw something in the water that seemed too large to be a hippo, but disappeared before he could investigate further.

Perhaps the best known reports about this kind of creature came out of the Congo after the turn of the century. Captain Freiheer von Stein zu Lausnitz, a German explorer, heard stories about an animal that was "brownish gray with a smooth skin, its size approximately that of an elephant, at least that of a hippopotamus." The creature had long flexible neck and had a vegetarian diet. The natives called it mok'ele-mbembe.

As more and more of Africa was charted and explored the dinosaur tales faded away. However, in 1980, Dr. Roy Mackal, a biologist at the University of Chicago and James Powell, a herpetologist, decided to go and take another look at the source of the mok'ele-mbembe tales. As with earlier explorers they failed to see the creature themselves. However, they did interview several people who had, and also heard about a creature with a long neck and tail that was killed along Lake Tele in 1959. According to the story, anyone who ate of the creatures meat, died. Witnesses said mok'ele-mbembe was about thirty feet long. Of that, ten was head and neck, the rest body and tail. Mackal and Powell suspected that the creature was a small relative of the Apatosaurus, but gathered no proof. A second expedition the next year added nothing but some strange footprints.

Shortly after Mackal's second expedition a group from California, led by Herman and Kia Regusters, reported seeing and photographing a large creature in the Lake Tele area. While the descriptions matched those heard since von Stein, the photos turned out to be inconclusive.

James Powell, an American explorer visited the area and showed pictures of various known animals to the inhabitants which they correctly identified. When shown a picture of a sauropod dinosaur they identified it as Mokele M'Bembe the large animal living in the nearby swamps and river systems.

Other creatures fitting the description of the Mokele M'Bembe type of animal have been sighted in Lake Victoria, Lake Tanganiyka, Lake Albert and Lake Tele. Both the indigenous African population and the foreign settlers have seen what seems to be some sort of relic from the primeval past. The eyewitnesses have carefully described animals that are nothing like the known animals of Africa, but very similar to dinosaurs known to have lived in the past. Whatever is lurking in the jungles is most likely to be shy and wary of humans and is said to shun any contact with our species, making further proof very difficult to come by.

The idea of a living breathing dinosaurian relic from pre-history surviving and thriving in modern times may seem more than improbable at first sight, but it must be noted that the Congo Basin in Africa has remained largely unchanged and undisturbed both in geography and climate since the days of the dinosaurs. Reports of sightings continue to this day.

A piece of video footage filmed by a Japanese film crew supposedly showing the creature in Lake Tele is disputable as evidence of the animal's existence. The video is indistinct, grainy and could show anything and is possibly just two men in a boat with one of them standing upright in the front of the vessel as is common in Africa. This has been interpreted as a head and neck, but this interpretation of the videotape is purely speculative at best. However, there are two interesting photographs in existence obtained by British explorer Rory Nugent which deserve further study as they show something most unusual in Lake Tele. One may actually show the head of a Mokele M'Bembe.

#3    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 08:25 PM

The Mbembe one, there was a new expedition a few months back to try and find it, the team came back saying that they saw something but were not prepared to say what it was, as it could have been anything                                                  

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,811 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 March 2003 - 02:14 PM

The idea that there is a live dinosaur roaming the swamps of Africa is certainly an interesting one, it would be amazing to see a living species of Dinosaur that somehow escaped extinction.

The problem with it however, as with most claims of cryptids such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, is lack of solid physical evidence. Tribesmen's claims and a few footprints are little to go on, and it's likely that DNA evidence will be required before the general scientific community will believe that the creature exists.

There would also need to be a considerably sizeable population of them to have survived this long, one or two individuals would be impossible.

Incidently, how do you pronounce 'mokele-mbembe' - I've never been quite able to work out how to say it  rolleyes.gif                                                  

#5    Tioria

Tioria

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 03:14 AM

Actually I did research on them, I would have to scroll back through old school work to find it though. I got an A does that count?

I believe them to exist as well.                                                  

Posted Image

#6    Tioria

Tioria

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 03:20 AM

http://cryptozoo.monstrous.com/crypto_ency...m#_Toc524971100

Here is some info. Not much.                                                  

Posted Image

#7    Hobo

Hobo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 01:56 PM

i wont dismiss this as a flight of fancy, while finding a living dinosaur would be improbable lest not forget the celocanth[sp?] or the Pseudoryx nghetinhensis.                                                  

#8    Mutant Snake

Mutant Snake

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Isanguard @ Mar 21 2003, 12:44 PM)
9meters(30 feet)

30 feet is 10 meters                                                  

#9    Naveed

Naveed

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 12:20 AM

I've always found this mystery intriquing...I've been a a dinosaur fan since I was a kid and it just blew me away the first time I heard about mokele-mbembe. Awhile back I was looking at some sites about it and read that there is a possibility it's a pygmy elephant, a known species that ihhabits the area. The trunk would kinda explain the long neck, but the fact the natives say that a picutre of a sauropod dinosaur is what they are seeing proves otherwise imo.                                                  

#10    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• 1,384 posts

• Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:22 AM

I am not sure of how to write down all the pronuciation marks, but I will give it my best try

Moe-kay-lay Em-bem-bay

I hope that helps.

Also, has anyone heard anything about supposed raptor like dinos running around in the Amazon?

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#11    CrazyHarry

CrazyHarry

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

• Crazy Harry plays with Electricity!

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

Well... look at birds, BEHOLD! It's done, living dinosaurs.

Crazy Harry plays with Electricity!-Crazy Harry

#12    Shadowsleet

Shadowsleet

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

• I don't care about breeding. A sword doesn't need a fine lineage, it just needs to be sharp.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

Incidently, how do you pronounce 'mokele-mbembe' - I've never been quite able to work out how to say it

Mock-elly   Mek-bembay.

But anyway...

There won't be any place in the world were a species of dinosaur that we would know exists today. Although it's possible that dinosaurs (or at least something very similar) are wandering around somewhere, evolution will have carried on, and they would be remarkably different from anything from the Mesozoic era.

"In battle, no move your opponent makes is trivial."

#13    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:44 PM

i believe the Apatosaurus was not previously known as Brontosaurus. Apatosaurus was named. they then found remains which they thought was a new species, so called it the Brontosaurus. they then realised the error of their ways, but it was too late. too many people knew the name Brontosaurus and not the correct name Apatosaurus.

the end.

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#14    Pilgrim Shadow

Pilgrim Shadow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• Language is a virus from outer space
    --WSB

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:23 AM

Why would all the other megafauna of Africa be discovered, but this dino-thing remain undiscovered for centuries?  Doesn't make sense.  It supposedly lives in close proximity to people.  I just think the whole idea is silly.  Then there's the question of evolution someone else brought up.

Why did they change the name from "Brontosaurus" to "Apatosaurus" anyway?

A functioning police state needs no police.
--William S. Burroughs

Posted Image

Who are the brain police?
--Frank Zappa

#15    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:46 AM

pilgrim, they discoverd a species and called it "Apatosaurus". then they found other bones which they thought were a different species and so the called it "Brontosaurus", but then they realised their mistake and discarded the name "brontosaurus" because it was infact an "Apatosaurus".

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users