Photo

Hair cuts.

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in General waffle 11 June 2008 · 173 views

Today I had a hair cut. Not that dramatic an event, but I absolutely hate it. I always have. For some people it is the dentist they hate, for me it's the barbers.

It's not really a phobia, I'm not scared of getting my hair cut, I'd just rather not.

I have wondered why I hate it so much. Partly, I suspect, it is because I'm a naturally scruffy individual, but there is more to it than that.

I suspect my dislike of getting my hair cut goes back to early childhood. My father would take me to one of those old fashioned barbers with the red and white pole out side. It was called, Peter's and had a huge red barbers chair. For the small kids a padded plank would be placed across the arms of the chair and I would sit on that.

Peter (for, unsurprisingly, that was the owners name) would chat away as he cut my hair. He would always say the same thing to the kids, "don't move, stay very still, because I don't want to cut you". He would then add the bit that, he no doubt thought of simply as a joke, " don't sneeze or I might cut your ear off". Even this didn't send chills down my spine, it's what came next that did, "I feed all the ears I've chopped off to my cat". Now even that might not have worried me too much except that Peter's cat was very, VERY fat. My childish logic told me that a lot of kids kust have lost their ears in that shop. I never twitched a muscle whilst I sat on that plank.

More than 30 years later I still don't like having my hair cut, but at least at Michael's (and no the owner isn't called Michael, it's Glenn), where I have it done now there isn't a cat.

Enigmatic Ghost
Jun 11 2008 02:25 AM
My Phobias are of Ants, Crazy Women, Tornados, and Chiggers.... and if yah shave your head, you don't need to ever again go to the Babers...

I Lost all my Hair one day when I became a Vegan... laugh.gif

Pavot

distortedpandy
Jun 11 2008 03:27 AM
I'd be frightened too. Geez.

I've been cutting my own hair for a while - it works well for me.
You to? I used to get the same "cut your ear off" garbage, as well. What the blooddy hell made those idiots think that would actually HELP THE SITUATION!!?? As a child your already filled with anxiety over this "event" that you, as said child, already think is frivolous and irrelevant, but the adults seemed to deem wholely necessary. This particullar instance is one reason I try to approach things...when it come sot my children....from a childs perspective, when I can.
So Sweeny Todd's decendent was your barber, huh.  My Aunt use to cut my hair with a bowl and a straight razor.  You think you have issue's, hummph. tongue.gif

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image