Photo

B is for Bill Clinton

Posted by CommunitarianKevin , 04 January 2013 · 850 views

conservative comebacks liberal lies bill clinton

So with my gift card to Barnes and Noble I bought a book called Conservative Comebacks to Liberal Lies. I figured it would be an interesting read. I do like to read things from both sides of the argument...I try to be as non-biased as possible. I think it will be interesting to hear their "comebacks" and maybe I will learn something in the process. The book is structured so that it has a "lie" for every letter of the alphabet. The first is Abortion. I figured it would be fun to do a blog entry for every argument evaluating their case and seeing if I agree. If you are interested in hearing my opinion on it, check back.

B is for Bill Clinton

This chapter went a little more how I expected this book to go. They spend an entire chapter trying to smear Bill Clinton’s image, most of which is common knowledge to anyone that could read a news paper or turn on a TV. They paint him as one of the worse human beings to ever be in office. I am not going to say everything he did was correct, because you cannot make that claim about anyone, but they are trying to make him look horrible to cover up the wrong-doings of George W. Bush.

The lies start on the very first page. “Elected twice without ever achieving a majority of the popular vote…”

1992 Presidential Election-

Popular Vote-

Bill Clinton-44,909,806 (43%)

George H. W. Bush-39,104,550 (37.5%)

Ross Perot-19,743,821 (18.9%)

1996 Presidential Election-

Popular Vote-

Bill Clinton-47,401,185 (49.2%)

Bob Dole-39,197,469 (40.7%)

Ross Perot-8,085,294 (8.4%)

Contrary to how Conservative math works, 43% and 49% respectively were the majorities in those elections. If they mean a majority of the entire population, they are correct…but that number is pointless.

2000 Presidential Election-

Popular Vote-

George W. Bush-50,456,002 (47.9%)

Al Gore-50,999,897 (48.4%)

George Bush won the presidency with less than half of the country voting for him. On the same note, he did not even receive as many votes as Al Gore did. This is not even taking into consideration that Perot grabbed a large number of votes in both of Clinton’s elections. This is a meaningless stat to mention in the start of their bit.

The next claim is that Conservatives hate Clinton as much as Liberals hate Bush. Once again, this is not entirely true. According to a Gallup poll in 2012, Clinton’s approval rating was 66%. But this is not the whole story. His rating among Republicans was 44%. Nearly HALF of Republicans find Clinton favorable.

2012 Gallup Poll on Clinton’s Approval

(Favorable/Unfavorable)

Overall-66%

Republicans-44%/50%

Independents-62%/30%

Democrats-90%/8%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/156362/bill-clinton-popular.aspx

Now let’s compare those numbers to George W. Bush, the most disliked living president.

2008 Gallup Poll

(Only favorable was given)

Overall-28%

Republicans-60%

Independents-26%

Democrats-7%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107128/bush-approval-rating-down-60-among-republicans.aspx

Basically only 15% more Republicans find Bush favorable over Clinton. Independents strongly prefer Clinton and Clinton’s own party approval is off the charts compared to Bush. The fact is that most Republicans do not hate Clinton, as claimed. In fact, nearly half approve of him, which is very different than hate. This alone is almost enough to disregard this entire chapter, but I will continue.

Next they go on to list all of the bad things Clinton did, half of them involve the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Yes, I get it…he lied about it. And I am sure most men would if they were getting their dick sucked by someone that is not their wife. And let’s not pretend he is the only president to do stuff like that. He was the one that got caught. Judging by the number of Republicans that approve of Clinton currently, I assume most people are with me on this point…

There is a commonly held myth that they pointed out but they are only half correct. They say that there is no correlation between Clinton’s policies and the strong economy. They credit the technology boom for the economy. This is correct. This is why the economy of Europe and Asia was also booming. This is where their correctness stops. They claim that the strong economy and technology boom was a result of Reagan’s tax cuts. Just like the economy was not a work of Clinton, it was also not a work of Reagan. Reagan’s tax cuts somehow produced technology AND made the economies of other countries boom? Please, explain to me how Reagan made the economy of Taiwan thrive during those years. Many would argue that Reagan’s economics actually hurt us by putting more Americans into debt. This is not the place for that discussion, but to make a long story short, the President has no real effect on the economy. What Reagan did was simply manipulate exchange rates, prepared for American debt, and made rich people richer.

In this part they mention that the economy thrived in spite of the higher tax rates. This again is a total lie. The economy thrived and the rich lived lavish lifestyles earlier in that century when many rich people were taxed at 90%. Taxes on the rich have nothing to do with the economy as a whole and rich people do not need help in the money department. You do not have to take my word for it, you can ask Warren Buffet.

Another claim is that Clinton weakened out military and people of all branches hate him. America had and has the strongest military in the world. End of discussion. You know who a lot of military members hate? George W. Bush. We do not very much like dying in places like Iraq, which we had no business in being there.

Clinton’s impact on the Federal government is criticized next…”There were more federal regulations and bureaucracy after his presidency, including thousands of regulations on individual small business and large corporations.” They say this as if it is a bad thing. Regulations are good. They keep people safe from money hungry corporations. Regulations keep people safe and keep our air and water clean. It is not just some way to screw businesses.

Apparently there is a claim that Clinton is America’s first “black” President. I have personally never heard this but they say this is because he helped out black people. Well, of course, they say this isn’t true and here is their support…”The GOP House and Senate passed legislation which took hundreds of thousands of blacks off the government welfare rolls, giving them incentive and opportunity to work, but President Clinton only reluctantly signed it into law.” Here comes the conflict. Republicans read “giving them incentive to work” and Democrats read “took hundreds of thousands of blacks off the government welfare rolls.” Of course he was reluctant to sign a bill that took government aid away from hundreds of thousands…That is because he cares about them. To Republicans, “welfare” is any type of government assistance. The vast majority of people getting government assistance (the majority is food stamps) are hard working Americans. Their problem is they do not have a livable wage that allows them to support themselves and their kids. It’s not that they do not have a job; it’s that the jobs they can get do not pay enough. Slaves had jobs…the problem was wages…

Finally they go on to talk about how Clinton caused the forest fires, put things in motion to allow 9/11 to happen, and finally a list of all the people he murdered. This stuff is too stupid and hypocritical for me to even respond to…

Ironically, they do not mention the actual bad things that Clinton did. There are things Clinton did that Liberals do not agree with, yet they get no mention. Here are a couple of things that Clinton did that set us back.

Don’t ask, don’t tell

Clinton campaigned in 1992 to allow citizens to serve in the military regardless of sexual orientation. Unfortunately, he caved under pressure from the right and “compromised” with Don’t ask, don’t tell. Basically this did nothing and many gays were kicked out of the military because of their sexual orientation.

Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)

As anyone who is reading this probably knows, DOMA is a federal law that defines marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman, which makes gay marriage illegal or not recognized. Obviously Liberals are against this notion but Conservatives should be also. Conservatives should be against this because this is the government telling you what you can and cannot do, which is a major issue on the Conservative side. Oddly enough, they have no problem with the government telling people what to do when it is in their favor…and their favor is oppressing gays…

Genocide in Rwanda

Bill Clinton calls the Rwanda Genocide his biggest regret, and it should be. His administration knew of the genocide going on and stood by and watched while 500,000 to 1,000,000 people were killed. Currently Clinton does work there and in other countries in Africa setting up roads and schools. I know it isn’t quite as glorious as sitting at home on ones ranch enjoying their oil money…but to each their own…

There are many things Conservatives can gripe about, but ragging on Bill Clinton, when Bush followed him, is really a losing battle…

spartan max2
Jan 04 2013 04:33 PM
just so you know iv been reading your comments about the book ;) lol

CommunitarianKevin
Jan 04 2013 07:08 PM
Thanks, good to know :) I hope you find them usefull...or entertaining at least.

Supersquatch
Jan 04 2013 10:17 PM
I actually know people who tried to blame the bad economy and the deficit on Barack Obama, then I disproved them. They admitted it and said the real problem was Bill Clinton. *facepalm*

CommunitarianKevin
Jan 04 2013 10:30 PM
The problem is greedy corporations, banks specifically, getting deep into our government.

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    Hasina
    11 Jan 2013 - 13:35
  • Photo
    Mr.United_Nations
    11 Jan 2013 - 13:03
  • Photo
    Rlyeh