karmakazi's Blog

Photo

The Big Move

Posted by karmakazi , 29 November 2012 · 314 views

I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming cross country move, because it's getting really close!  Our lease runs out in January and I've sent notice that we will be vacating when the lease terminates.  I've made decisions as far as when I'm going to give notice to my employer and I've taken the first steps of setting up a post...

Photo

Choice

Posted by karmakazi , 07 November 2012 · 404 views

Yesterday, a thought happened upon me and I couldn't stop pondering it for some time...

What if everything we do, every choice, since the dawn of time, was predetermined by everything that has come before it?

I'm not talking about destiny, fate or god; I'm talking about something akin to the laws of physics - action and reaction, gravitation,...

Photo

It gave me pause

Posted by karmakazi , 07 September 2012 · 556 views

I read a brief synopsis of 1984 that made me pause for a moment...

It mentioned how Winston wrote in his journal because he wasn't certain that his memories of the past were accurate or that they would last, so he wanted to record them (despite it being forbidden) so that he would not "lose" the memories amidst the new history that was...

Photo

Plague of Consumption

Posted by karmakazi , 24 August 2012 · 334 views

In the many shows I've watched and discussions I've had about hoarding, it seems there is a component to the phenomenon that rarely comes up.  For the last century, we've been programed to be consumers.  Consumers have great potential to become hoarders.

How many advertisements have you seen in your life that suggested you "can't just...

Photo

Decision making and hoarding

Posted by karmakazi , 20 August 2012 · 510 views

In prior posts I mentioned both my family of hoarders and my own attempts to eliminate much of what I own... Today I was thinking about the psychology of it a bit more...

It is thought that there may be a genetic component to hoarding, and as scientists have studied the brains of hoarders, they are finding that a decision making center in the brain does...

Photo

Hot Potato

Posted by karmakazi , 06 August 2012 · 460 views

In reading a blurb about the influences behind Huxley's Brave New World, I realized something...

In the era in which he lived, society had this idea, this expectation, that as we developed society and technology, we would be able to conquer all of our ills...that modernized society and technology could trump the problems that plagued humanity, creating...

Photo

A Big Step...

Posted by karmakazi , 03 August 2012 · 380 views

A few years ago, I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment by myself, with:

1 couch
1 loveseat
1 papasan chair
1 lounge chair
1 entertainment center
2 bookcases
1 dinette set
1 room divider
3 desks
1 sewing table
1 freestanding wardrobe
1 coffee table
1 end table
1 night stand
1 bed
1 vanity
1 metal kitchen cart
1 chair (for computer desk)
1 freestanding cabinet

Photo

Psychology behind Majority Rule

Posted by karmakazi , 20 July 2012 · 648 views

Let’s imagine there is a group of 100 people in an auditorium, waiting for a performance to begin.  Going into the event, 90 of the people think the ticket price for the show was fair.  10 of the people think that the ticket price was unfairly high.  During the time before the performance, people are mingling and...

Photo

Debt and Standard of Living

Posted by karmakazi , 19 July 2012 · 437 views

I was thinking about this thread (http://www.unexplain...pic=229687&st=0) earlier, about debt in general, and I realized...

Photo

Money Money Money

Posted by karmakazi , 08 June 2012 · 357 views

Good old money... the thing everyone wants more of, can't get enough of, and can't seem to hold on to.

We know what money is... or do we? Even though we understand the concept of money, it's not something that stays in the forefront of our minds. We don't think about the implications of the money itself when we are deciding on a purchase......

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

• Photo
    The Big Move
    By _Only
    Nov 29 2012 05:55 PM
  • Photo
    Choice
    By The Mule
    Nov 13 2012 11:57 AM
  • Photo
    Choice