Country Days

Photo

Busy Christmas!

Posted by ealdwita , 23 December 2013 · 161 views

Who ever said that being a farmer was easy?

The gales brought down two large ash trees this afternoon...one of which has destroyed about 10 feet of fencing and damaged one of the stalls.  Several hawthorn branches are blocking the ditch which drains Lower Field, and now the field is flooded across the lane! To cap it all, every one of the dozen or so...

Photo

Why Me?

Posted by ealdwita , 02 December 2013 · 229 views

So, the recession has finally hit the farm!

At least, I assume that's why someone tied a young, frightened, and very pregnant Equus africanus asinus to a fencepost in Foxen-Hill Toll field last night. It was only a matter of pure luck that she was found, as we don't use that field for much other than...

Photo

Old Twelvey Night

Posted by ealdwita , 17 January 2013 · 627 views

Our Anglo-Saxon forebears used to greet each other with the words wæs þu hæl (good health, or “be you healthy”). This salutation has evolved down the years to become ‘wassailing’ and gives us Traditionalists an excuse to wander around town and village, banging on doors and singing...

Photo

Night Sounds

Posted by ealdwita , 27 May 2012 · 451 views

I love these long summer evenings. I’ve just spent an hour or so sitting on the porch with a mug of coffee laced with Navy rum,  just listening to the sounds of the night. I caught the sound of the last fifteen minutes of bell-ringing practice from the little Norman church in the village,  and the melodious ‘rounds’ and...

Photo

The New Arrival

Posted by ealdwita , 18 May 2012 · 610 views

We had some heavy rain last night, the track leading up to the paddock is a mass of puddles, and water still drips from the long fronds of white willow that grows on either side of it. 7am – much earlier than I usually greet the day, but this morning is special. We are expecting a new arrival! The sun is just beginning to disperse the ground mist...

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tags

Categories

Latest Visitors

• Photo
      Yes_Man
      24 Dec 2013 - 16:22
    • Photo
      Taun