Photo

Weekend Update from Yuppie Central

Posted by , 17 January 2005 · 47 views

Helloooooo, y'all...  I've been outta town for anyone who likes to keep tabs on my jet-setting lifestyle.  This weekend's adventure took everyone's favorite brunette southbound to Atlanta, GA, home of the Ted Turner mega-Empire, the most effed-upped Olympics of modern times and deep-fried Snickers bars.  Oh, and a big Falcon's football game that screwed traffic up royally (and making Atlanta traffic worse is a task of genuinely Herculean proportions).  But hoorah they may make it to the Super Bowl, so no hate mail, please.  original.gif

I was down visiting a dear friend of mine, Kristin, who I met working one summer in Yellowstone Nat'l Park.  Since she and I were both Georgia Peaches we've kept in contact pretty well over the past few years.  She is now in her 2nd year of law school in the lavish southern city, so I got a chance to experience a fo' real honest to God deep-South law student par-TAY.

Can I just preface this next paragragh with the fact that my friends and I are poorly dressed hoodilums, who like lots of beer and hot wings?  Remember the very beginning of Animal House?  When Flounder and the skinny kid go to the upscale frat party and are forced to sit in the rejects corner?  That's kinda how I felt walking into this party.  Not forced into the rejects corner, mind you (because I am, of course, a goddess and the people weren't nearly the same sort of pricks as in the movie), but just felt horrifically out of place and blue collar (I'm a Delta House gal at heart).  The host owned the penthouse flat we were "partying" in, and it was just a few block up from Elton John's Atlanta digs.  (I use the term "partying" loosely here, because this was not the sort of bruhaha that the cops will be busting up, whereas with my normal crowd that is always a very distinct possibility.) Now Elton J. is not one to live in the ghetto, so we'll just leave it at the fact that the neighborhood was pretty fancy-smancy.

The guys were all ironed and tucked-in and khaki'ed with big, toothy sh**-eating grins, while the girls were all perfectly high-lighted and bronzed (it is January, right? isn't it considered normal to be pale and pudgy in the dead of winter?  perhaps it's just me) in leopard print low-cut blouses with pointy-toed shoes that perfectly matched their purses, which in turn perfectly matched their belts.  (I think I own 2 belts-- one brown and one black.  Anyway, back on board here...)  I live in a world of just-outta-college poorness.  It's pretty much an extension of college poorness, it's just 40 hours of job a week rather than 30 hours of classwork.  These people, who are my age (and still in school for Christ's sake!!) drive shiny BMW's and have Neimen-Marcus hand-bags.  Hmm...I've been saving for a month to buy a pair of New Balance running shoes to replace my disgusting delapidated pair that smell like a long dead horse.

I suppose I am jealous.  I guess this is a long-winded rant of "I wanna's".  But I swear, I don't feel jealous, I feel bemused.  I kinda enjoy saving up for a big celebration dinner or to go on a weekend gettaway.  To sit at my friends' rented houses with mis-matched furniture and to rejoice at fifty cent raises. I suppose I write all this to end with this thought: I would hate to start out with everything, because then where do you go from there?

Disinterested
Jan 17 2005 03:46 PM
Sounds like an interesting weekend!

Good for you, not being jealous. It often bugs me when I see people who don't really need to work hard for anything, and get everything.  disgust.gif

snuffypuffer
Jan 17 2005 09:52 PM
You had a perfect chance to crash this "party," yet you didn't take it.  I am very disappointed, I think... dontgetit.gif
Well, I was daring the guys on the balconey to try and hit cars down below w/ their bottles, but they didn't tak me up on it.   disgust.gif   I mean, we were on the 23rd floor, plenty of room to escape the cops.  

snuffypuffer
Jan 18 2005 12:58 AM
Well, at least you tried to corrupt them.  It's not your fault they don't understand.

Just Like...

Sweet Melinda
The peasants call her the goddess of gloom
She speaks good English
And she invites you up into her room
And you're so kind
And careful not to go to her too soon
And she takes your voice
And leaves you howling at the moon

We've got Armadillos in our trousers.

user posted image

Like...yum...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Pinkola

We choose a thing because it just happened to be beneath our noses at that moment in time. It is not necessarily what we want, but it is interesting, and the longer we gaze at it, the more compelling it becomes.

user posted image

It takes spirit, will, and soulfulness and it often means holding out for what one wants.

My Heroes

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image