Photo

My posts and why I do it.

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in General waffle 26 October 2006 · 108 views

Anyone that has read any of my posts will probably have realised that I am fanatical about spaceflight and astronomy. I love to post space related news stories here.

Although all I am doing is a cut and paste job I am very particular about the look of the posts. In many cases the original writer of the article has gone to a lot of trouble to make their post look good. The least I can do is try to preserve that look as much as possible. I try to format the post as close to the original as possible and retain any illustrations. I find it very satisfying if I end up with a good looking post.

Maybe this attitude is the result of my career. I worked for 20 years in quality control laboratories. Although the contents are the most important thing you soon learn in QC that appearance is important too. This is the first impression a customer gets of your product and it can leave a lasting impression. It's strange then, that in real life, I am a rather scruffy individual!

As to the contents of the posts I like to make sure that any links that appear in the original article are reproduce in my post. This can be frustrating and time consuming at times. The European Southern Observatory press releases are the worse for this. They tend to have lots of links and also frequent use of italics (which I like to reproduce too).

As I type this I am starting to wonder if I may not showing a hint of obsessive compulsive disorder in my posting? Oh well, who cares? I like the way they look.

So these posts are time consuming and sometimes frustrating so why do I bother? Because I am so obsessed by spaceflight I sometimes find it hard to understand why other people aren't. If, as the result of my posts, one person decides to learn more then I feel it will be a job well done. The first human to set foot on Mars has probably already been born. Maybe they will read one of my posts and get bitten by the space bug, after all we all have to start somewhere.

You've been doing a great job with your posts. Great content, and by making them more presentable they're much more appealing to read. You've definetely helped keep my interest in astronomy alive. thumbsup.gif

Now, to get to Mars...

Waspie_Dwarf
Oct 26 2006 09:37 PM
Thank you for those kind words Raptor. Astronomy is a great hobby and one of the very few areas of science left where amateurs can still make a valuble contribution.
My hubby is a huge astronomy buff.  Our dog is named Sagan, after Carl.  I'm always going outside and looking up and saying, "my God, it's full of stars" thanks to hubby.

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image