Photo

How my cats got their names.

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in My furry, purry friends 10 November 2006 · 107 views

I have noticed a trend with this blog. I get far more hits and more more comments when I post a story about my cats than I do when I post stories about me. I don't have a problem with that. They are more interesting than me and a lot cuter. I know my place in the pecking order. In fact I have half jokingly told my family that they only come to my house to visit the cats. They have told me that is true.

Those of you that have read my earlier entries will know that I have two cats, Zeta and Nyana. Perfect Imperfection commented that Nyana is a beautiful name, well it is but it is entirely inappropriate for reasons I shall get to later.

I shall start with the old girl, Zeta. How she got her name is very straight forward. Zeta was born in this house, daughter of my much missed moggy Tannoy (so named because she was so loud as a kitten). I thought she was an exceptionally beautiful cat so I named her Zeta after Catherine Zeta Jones who I thought was an exceptionally beautiful human being.

Nyana is named after another cat. In 2000 I went on holiday to South Africa and Zimbabwe. While in South Africa I visited the Cheetah Outreach centre in Stellenbosch, Western Cape Province (beautiful wine).

The Outreach Center educates people about cheetahs in an attempt to stop people killing them. They take tame cheetahs to schools, educational facilities shopping malls, anywhere that they can educate people about these fabulous animals.

The centre, for a small fee, will allow visitors into the cheetahs cages to stroke them. To stroke a big cat had always been one of my lifes ambitions so it had to be done. The name of the cheetah I stroked was Nyana-Spier.

Posted Image
Nyana-Spier, a keeper and yours truly

When Nyana was born the owners of her mum called her Smoky as she was virtually all grey. For some reason I didn't like the name and Nyana popped into my mind. As Nyana grew into the four-footed fur-ball she is now Nyana seemed a far more appropriate name. As she grew more and more ginger became visible in her fir and she became less and less smoky in colour. I patted myself on the back.

And then one day I looked up the Cheetah Outreach centre on the internet. This told me that the centre was built on land donated by the Spier Wine Estates. It also said that the first male Cheetah born their was called Nyana-Spier meaning son of Spier.

Oops! my beautiful female cat has a name that means "son of". I said it wasn't very appropriate. Still as long as she has food to eat, somewhere warm to sleep and strokes on demand she doesn't seem to care.

Beautiful.  I'd love to pet one of those majestic creatures.

Waspie_Dwarf
Nov 10 2006 03:29 PM
QUOTE(coldethyl @ Nov 10 2006, 02:09 PM)

Beautiful.  I'd love to pet one of those majestic creatures.

It was quite an experience. Unlike other big cats cheetahs can purr, and Nyana-Spier did just that. I would loved to have tickled him behind the ears but we weren't allowed to touch around the head.

It is a shame that these beautiful animals are on the verge of extinction. There is no recorded case of a human ever being killed by a cheetah yet we are wiping them out because they eat the occasional sheep.
Oh my goodness! You are so lucky to get up close to such a beautiful and elegant animal. I must put this on my to do list before I get too old.

Were you nervous at all when you got that close and was the cat very relaxed?

Waspie_Dwarf
Nov 11 2006 03:57 AM
QUOTE(Lottie @ Nov 11 2006, 03:51 AM)

Oh my goodness! You are so lucky to get up close to such a beautiful and elegant animal.

That's what I told the cheetah  original.gif

QUOTE(Lottie @ Nov 11 2006, 03:51 AM)

Were you nervous at all when you got that close and was the cat very relaxed?

I wasn't nervous, just excited. This was a life ambition and until that day I had no idea I was about to achieve it. Nyana-Speir was very relaxed at the time and was purring very loudly. A while after I stroked him he became a little cranky and one of the other cheetahs had to be used.

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image