Photo

A sting in the tail

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in My furry, purry friends 11 November 2006 · 94 views

This blog seems to be more about Nyana than me recently, not surprising really, she gets out more than I do.

Nyana has just returned home and, for the second night running, is soaking wet. No mystery tonight though as it is pouring down with rain.

As I have remarked before, Nyana has a particularly fluffy tail. This tends to pick up all sorts of detritus. Tonight she had a big leaf attached and so I removed it. I wish I had looked more closely first as it was a stinging nettle leaf.

When I was a small child I fell into a large patch of stinging nettles behind my great-grandmother's house. Ever since then I have reacted rather badly to nettles. The pain is beginning to ease now but the little finger on my left hand will be numb for at least 24 hours.

What thanks did I get for my finger being stung rather than her tongue? She shook herself dry in my face. That long fur of hers can hold a lot of water.

Stinging nettles were the biggest surprise about living in England.  Those things are truly evil!!  A plant that can sting and it looks fairly innocent!!  We had those growing along our fence line when we lived outside of Bury and they stung when you just looked at them wrong!!
Crikey poor you. If you have any in the house Calamine lotion normally eases the sting.
I can remember falling into stinging nettles when I was younger and dragging my sister into them too. I tried to grab hold of her to keep balance, it was not a pretty site and hurt so much. Ouch!

As for Nyana, she sounds like an incredibly charming and characterful puss! It's hardly surprising that you write about her so much.
Where I grew up (in the southern USA) there were no stinging nettles, only fire ant nests.  I had a cousin that fell into one of those once.  Pretty horrid.  Those buggers are mean.   yes.gif

Waspie_Dwarf
Nov 11 2006 04:05 AM
QUOTE(coldethyl @ Nov 11 2006, 03:55 AM)

Stinging nettles were the biggest surprise about living in England.  Those things are truly evil!!  

I think they are getting their revenge on me. For 14 years I worked for a weed killer manufacturer.

The good thing about nettles is nettle tea, delicious.

QUOTE(Lottie @ Nov 11 2006, 04:00 AM)

As for Nyana, she sounds like an incredibly charming and characterful puss!

She is that. She's usually called fur-ball, nutter cat or mental moggy.
Fire Ants? I have never heard of them. They certainly sound mean.... Do they bite?

Mental Moggy LMAO!!! laugh.gif

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

4 user(s) viewing

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image