Photo

A battle of wills.

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in My furry, purry friends 17 November 2006 · 102 views

For some strange reason my cats seem to be ganging up on me. We are currently in a battle of wills and I'm not sure that I am winning.

It is all to do with sleeping places, theirs rather than mine. Zeta seems to have decided to put me in my place. There are plenty of places for here to sleep and until a few days ago she was satisfied them. Now she has decided there is only one place she wants, my chair. She can have any chair she wants except one, the one I am sitting in now, but none of the others will do. The moment I get up she will leap into the chair, curl up and go to sleep. She then complain vociferously when I return and turf her out.

Nyana too has decided on an inappropriate sleeping place, on top of my cooker. I have one of those with a closing glass lid. If the lid is down she will jump up and sleep on it. Apart from the hygiene issues I am worried that she will jump up there when I am cooking. I don't want a burnt cat.

For nearly a week now this battle as been ongoing. Past experience with cats tells me that, unlike a dog, you can't teach a cat not to do something, but they do learn not to get caught.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Zeta (top) and Nyana asleep in less irritating places.

Those cats are so cute you have to let them sleep wherever they want.   yes.gif
Why am I reminded of the Quote from the book Animal Farm?

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

laugh.gif

QUOTE(coldethyl @ Nov 17 2006, 04:35 AM)

Those cats are so cute you have to let them sleep wherever they want.   yes.gif

I agree! They are simply too cute not to rule the world. devil.gif

However, I understand your position (especially the cooker issue). My solution: remove cooker from her access (put it in the cabinet or in a box).

As for the chair stealer, I'd simply keep removing her (yeah, it's a pain), but I have a feeling that if this *power play* doesn't pan out then she'll eventually just leave your chair be.

Now, one other thing occurred to me about the chair issue, that being, 'warmth'. Is it possible that she's seeking the warmth left when you get up? Could getting her a nice fleece chair pad (for whatever chair you designate as being hers) be a solution?

Waspie_Dwarf
Nov 18 2006 11:57 PM
Well this battle seems to be over (or at least there is a truce). Nyana has kept off the cooker for 2 days and Zeta has returned to being perfectly happy with the chair next to me. How long this truce will last is anyone's guess.

Lilly, I don't think the chair issue is a warmth thing, I think it is power play. Zeta would often wait until she knew I was about to sit down and then jump on my (cold) chair. She just wanted to prove she was boss. She used to do something similar to her brother when he was still alive. Whenever he found a nice place to sleep, after about a week, she would start sleeping there and prevent him from doing so. He would find a new place to sleep and she would kick him out of it again.
Yes, it does indeed seem to be a power play. Just keep firm and don't let Zeta get the upper hand...er...paw in the situation and all should be fine.

IPB Image\

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image