Photo

A Night On The Town part 3

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in Good friends and jolly good c..., Photos 11 December 2006 · 132 views

It's taken a while to get around to writing this entry. By the time my head was working again the blogs weren't. So here is my account of Friday's drink in London.

After writing my bog entry "To London again" I decided to check my emails where upon I discovered that the meet time was an hour earlier than I thought. I rushed to Barnehurst station and (as usual) arrived just in time to be too late. By the time I had bought a ticket I had missed a train. As I had 15 minutes until the next one I decided to take some photos for this blog. I was rather pleased with this effort.

Posted Image
Barnehurst Station

When I arrived at Charing Cross I realised that I had just enough time to visit Trafalgar Square and take some photographs. Although I had taken pictures there on my last visit I wanted to go again. Every year the people of Norway send a Christmas tree to London as a thank you to the people of Britain for there part in the countries liberation in World War 2. The lights had been turned on on Thursday, so I wanted to get some festive photo's.

Posted Image
Trafalgar Square with Christmas Tree

Posted Image
Nelson's Column and Fountain

Photographs taken I walked to Charing Cross Road. We were meeting in a pub called the Montague Pyke. Before that it was called the Moon Under Water (as are the vast majority of Wetherspoon's pubs). Before it was a pub it was the Marquee, a very famous rock venue.

I was on time but the last to arrive. I was meeting three of my friends, Simon (co-conspirator on my previous 2 trips up town), Avick and Mike. I have known Simon and Avick for around 10 years. I met them through going to watch Wasps play Rugby. Mike I have known for considerably longer. We went to school together. We knew of each other when we were 11 and probably became friends a year or 2 latter (it is difficult to say when the friendship started). It was Mike that took me to Wasps for the first time.

It was good to catch up with Avick and Mike as I hadn't seen either of them for more than 6 months. It had originally been our intention to visit several pubs but the company was good, the beer was good, the conversation was good drunken and the pub was warm, so we ended up staying all night.

Posted Image
From left to right: Simon, Avick and Mike

I really can't tell you what the conversation was about, at that time of alcohol it was probably deep and meaningful. No doubt we put the world to rights, easily solving the problems of terrorism, poverty, starvation and the Middle-East. Like so many alcohol fuel conversations they are transient affairs, important at the time but forgotten in the morning. The conversations didn't matter, the company of good friends did.

Eventually we headed back our separate ways. Mike and I live only one stop apart so we travelled back together (after buying a Cornish Pasty at Charing Cross). I got off at Mike's stop as I needed to do some shopping on the way home (thank you the 24 hour ASDA).

As I had taken a photograph of the start point of my journey (Barnehurst Station) I decided it would be nice to finish off by photographing the end point. So I took some photographs of a dark and deserted Bexleyheath Town Centre.

Posted Image
Bexleyheath Town Centre

I had a great night out with great friends, who could ask for more?

There is only one sad foot note. The picture of Bexleyheath Town Centre was the last picture my digital camera will ever take. It has been suffering with an intermittent problem with the lens since November. It finally died after that picture.

The Marquee!! Ahhh those were the days... gosh I feel old!  laugh.gif

The train pic is very groovy. By the way my Dad used to watch wasps play alot. His ex company were one of their sponsors if I remember rightly. thumbsup.gif
Oh and I am happy but not deliriously so, that at least we drew 1-1 against Chelsea ( yukky team). Yes  I support the gunners. I was a little worried about our line up yesterday.

bLu3 de 3n3rgy
Dec 11 2006 01:42 PM
The Barenhurst station pic is amazing!

Waspie_Dwarf
Dec 11 2006 01:49 PM
QUOTE(Lottie @ Dec 11 2006, 01:18 PM)
The Marquee!! Ahhh those were the days... gosh I feel old!  laugh.gif

The train pic is very groovy. By the way my Dad used to watch wasps play alot. His ex company were one of their sponsors if I remember rightly. thumbsup.gif
Oh and I am happy but not deliriously so, that at least we drew 1-1 against Chelsea ( yukky team). Yes  I support the gunners. I was a little worried about our line up yesterday.

If your Dad was a corporate guest when Wasps were at Loftus Road then he would have sat right in front of me.

I didn't know you were a gooner. Lottie, you have taste.  thumbsup.gif

Simon is a Man City fan. I went with him to see the Man City v Arsenal game at Maine Road in 2003. I sat with him in with all the City fans (crowd segregation!! You don't need that with Rugby fans). Arsenal were 4 nil up in 19 minutes and won 5-1. As I was in with the City fans I couldn't celebrate any of the Arsenal goals. I waited until we got back to London the next day before I took the mickey out of Simon. I'm not stupid.. he had the plane tickets.

Avick is a football ref.. boo!

Waspie_Dwarf
Dec 11 2006 01:51 PM
QUOTE(Anvil @ Dec 11 2006, 01:42 PM)
The Barenhurst station pic is amazing!

Thank you.
I think all of the pics are brilliant...shame about the camera...we have scenery that's somewhat comparable to those great pics, but the main problem is the crime in those same areas. It looks like a great time was had by all!!!!

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 11 2006 11:16 PM
Hi Waspie, Just read back through all your previous blog entries. Love the photographs and the cats! What camera did you have till it died? (rest in peace camera)

Waspie_Dwarf
Dec 13 2006 03:15 AM
QUOTE(Gavsto @ Dec 11 2006, 11:16 PM)
What camera did you have till it died? (rest in peace camera)

It was a Canon Powershot S50. I have rather a lot of expensive accessories for this camera so I would like to replace it. I think it has been discontinued so it may be a job for ebay.

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image