Photo

The Gas Man Cometh

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in General waffle 15 December 2006 · 182 views

It was the annual check-up of my gas appliances today. Once a year my landlords send an engineer around to check whether I am going to die from carbon monoxide poisoning or cause a small explosion which will require the re-writing of the local map (and cost them money).

It's the same every year. The engineer will come in with his tool box and ask, "Can I have a look at your heating system please". I will take him into the kitchen where he will remove the cover and see the big red sign saying "This appliance has been disconnected". "Oh", he'll say, "when was this disconnected?" "I'm not sure exactly", I'll reply, "but it was before my father stopped living here." "When was that?" he will ask me, feigning interest. "1990" I will tell him. This was the seventh or eighth consecutive year I have had this conversation. As in the 7 or 8 previous encounters the engineer (it has been a different one each time) will make notes and tell me that the land lords will be informed. I can almost guarantee that I will have the same conversation in 12 months time (check back in December 2007 folks).

After the farcical part of the check the engineer checked that may gas cooker wasn't going to kill me (it isn't but my cooking might). He then checked my gas meter which is a nice new shiny one, The gas company retired my old one on it's thirtieth birthday (very Logan's Run {ignore the film, read the book}). That isn't going to kill me either.

I then signed a piece of paper (which I think contractually obliges me not to die as a result of my gas supply for the next 12 months). The engineer then went to pick up his tool box. He was rather surprised when he saw Nyana (my furry, purry, long haired, mental moggy) sitting in the middle of his tool box looking as if this was the natural habitat of the long-haired nutter-cat. We final persuaded her that it was a naturally tenable place for her to be and the engineer departed.

So next year I expect a different engineer but the same old conversation.

snuffypuffer
Dec 15 2006 06:54 AM
I.... liked the movie of Logan's Run.

Waspie_Dwarf
Dec 15 2006 07:12 AM
QUOTE(snuffypuffer @ Dec 15 2006, 06:54 AM)
I.... liked the movie of Logan's Run.

It's OK but the book is so much better. The book has a much better ending. You've got to love a book that starts at chapter 10 and ends on chapter zero.

GreyWeather
Dec 15 2006 04:57 PM
laugh.gif  Your cats could make a good comedy show  tongue.gif
I think you should just place a copy of this blog just under the "This appliance has been disconnected" label, not that it would keep the nuclear engineers that come there from asking you questions that have already been answered, but so you'll have to waste as little constructive breath on them as possible.

Waspie_Dwarf
Dec 15 2006 08:04 PM
QUOTE(Onyxdk @ Dec 15 2006, 07:36 PM)
I think you should just place a copy of this blog just under the "This appliance has been disconnected" label, not that it would keep the nuclear engineers that come there from asking you questions that have already been answered, but so you'll have to waste as little constructive breath on them as possible.

Nuclear engineers  w00t.gif

It isn't the engineers fault, it is the management that have known for years that there is no heating in this house but have done nothing about it. Every engineer that has visited so far has been very pleasant.

Several years ago all the houses on this estate that remained housing association property had new heating fitted... except mine. By one of those loop holes in the regulations if the housing association make improvements that can not raise the rent of the sitting tenant as a result (although they can charge more for future tenants). However if the improvement is requested by the tenant they can charge. As my heating wasn't upgraded at the time it I now request that they do it I will be charged more, even though it was their fault it wasn't done in the first place.

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

1 user(s) viewing

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image