Photo

A superstar on the horizon

Posted by Waspie_Dwarf , in Sport 18 May 2007 · 148 views

Anyone reading my posts on the forum will know I have a passion for space and astronomy. I am, however, a passionate sports fan as well. I love cricket. I was brought up on rugby union (that tends to happen when you have Welsh grandparents). The rugby is the reason for my user name, I am a supporter of the London Wasps team (more about them very soon). However my first great passion was motor sport, more specifically Formula 1.

I know many people find F1 boring. I can understand that, the racing is not as good as it once was. F1 has always aimed to be at the pinnacle of technology and the result is that they have become so technologically advanced that only the very richest teams can afford to produce a car capable of winning the championship. Things are slowly improving but there is a long way to go.

This year the race for the world championship is looking good. The two best teams, Ferrari and McLaren both have two drivers capable of winning races. The pedigree of the Ferrari drivers was never in doubt. Both Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa were never in doubt, both are former race winners. The same is true of the McLaren driver Fernando Alonso, after all who can doubt the ability of the man that has been world champion for the last 2 years and who is the youngest ever world champion? Then there is McLaren's other driver, Lewis Hamilton.

Lewis Hamilton is a rookie and is just 22 years old. Those of us that follow motor racing knew he was good. He was the champion in the GP2 series last year. This is a series run along side Formula 1 and is the series that aspiring F1 drivers can show their stuff. However Hamilton has exceeded all expectations.

The Formula 1 started in 1950. Since it started no driver had finished on the podium in each of his first three races. Hamilton has done it in his first 4. He finished third on début and has finished second and each of the following races. By the third Grand Prix of the season he was joint leader of the championship in a three way tie. After four races he is the clear leader. He is the youngest driver ever to lead the world championship.

The last three young drivers to excite me this much were Ayrton Senna, Stefan Bellof and Michael Schumacher. Senna went on to win 3 world championships before his tragic death at Imola in 1994. Michael Schumacher won a record breaking seven world championships. Sadly Bellof was killed in a sports car race befroe being able to show how good he really was. If I am right and Hamilton is in the class of these men then he will become one of the true greats.

What really excites me about this is that Lewis Hamilton is British.

I can't say that I am a big Formula-1 fan, but my boss and several of my associates at work, 3-4 especially, are HUGE fans of Formula-1 racing. They stay-up late and then come into work bleary-eyed talking about how Kimi is a better driver than Massa and how this driver isn't aggressive enough and how this driver ran a bad race...etc. The debates have almost come to blows on different occasions, lol. I'll have to ask them about young Mr. Hamilton........

Apparently, according to the powers that be over here, he(Hamilton) the best thing since sliced bread, lol. When I mentioned his name, eyes lit-up and faces got animated, I diddn't dare push the issue further.

I'm only vaguely familiar with the rules of Rugby, but I am a staunch admirer of the sport and of it's athletes. Growing-up playing American Football my entire life and into college, I have nothing but respect for the toughness and fearlessness that must come with playing a sport like Rugby.

Waspie, are you familiar with the American Football game that is scheduled to be played at New Wimbley Stadium later this year?

Waspie_Dwarf
May 18 2007 07:13 PM
QUOTE(~Onyx~ @ May 18 2007, 07:45 PM)
Waspie, are you familiar with the American Football game that is scheduled to be played at New Wimbley Stadium later this year?

I am indeed, Giants v Dolphins I believe. If it had been the Seahawks I might have tried to get tickets. It should be quite a show, the new Wembley stadium is magnificent, mind you at a cost of £900 million ($1.8 billion US) it should be.

I'm quite a fan of US sports. I prefer F1 but I enjoy IRL and Champ Car (and NASCAR to a lesser extent) I prefer Rugby Union and football (soccer) to US football but I still enjoy it a lot and have been a Seahawks fan for years. I prefer cricket but I still enjoy baseball. I have really got into MLB in the last couple of years although I haven't got a team I support. I also enjoy Ice Hockey and I am a Canucks fan. I have never been able to enjoy basketball though so I don't watch any NBA.

The teams I support are:
  • Rugby Union - London Wasps,  England and the British and Irish Lions
  • Cricket - Kent and England
  • Football - Arsenal and England
  • American Football - Seatle Seahawks
  • NHL - Vancouver Canucks
  • MotoGP (motorbikes) - what ver team Valentino Rossi rides for (currently Yamaha)

The first team I ever supported in any sport was Lotus in F1. sadly they stopped racing at the end of the 1994 season.
For myself, it would go like this:

NFL: Miami Dolphins

NBA: Miami Heat(but I'm nowhere near as big a fan of the NBA as I am of the NFL)

MLB: The New York Yankees(originally) and The Florida Marlins(I was a Yankee fan until The Marlis came into existence in 1993, then I became a fan of the local team, they play their games in the same stadium as The Dolphins, which is only about a mile and a half from my house)

NHL: This is a tricky one, lol. I was(and still am to an extent) a Detroit Red Wings fan for many years...I also really enjoyed The Vancouver Canucks beacuse of Pavel Bure, Igor Larionov, and several other players that I really enjoyed watching on those Canuck teams...but I am a fan of the local team The Florida Panthers since the're inception in 1993. I still have a soft-spot in my heart for The Red Wings(Steve Yzerman has to be my favorite hockey player of all time) and can't help but see how they're doing when I check the scores.

I like The Seahawks, they're a very good team, and should contend for The NFC West title again this year.

It's been reported here locally that about 10-15,000 people from The States will be traveling abroad to support they're teams fromo New York and Miami, it should be a very good and entertaining game to watch.

Don't Panic

Posted Image

"It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day"
- Arthur Dent

Waspie_Dwarf is currently reading...

Mission to Mars

By Buzz Aldrin

and

The Eye of the World
Book 1 of The Wheel of Time

By Robert Jordan

What's going on in here then?

Posted Image

What I'm made of..

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have been warned.

IPB Image\
IPB Image\
IPB Image\

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

My parents

linked-image
Olive May Burns (née Williams)
(24th September 1939 - 30th May 2001)

linked-image
Charles Robert Burns
(4th April 1936 - 12th October 2005)

Life, the Universe and Everything

IPB Image\

Mother Nature - the great artist

linked-image
Click the above thumbnail for full size image

The view from my bedroom isn't usually a spectacular one, but every now and then Mother Nature dips into her pots of paint are produces a sky like this.

This was taken on 14th November 2005

London at Night

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

Things seen in my garden

Posted Image