Photo

Does God appear physically in the Flesh?

Posted by Jor-el , 09 July 2008 · 177 views

There is a big debate as to whether God with 2 Angels actually appeared to Abraham or whether it was simply 3 Angels, Let's find out...

Let me paint the big picture people seem to miss in this entire episode.

We have Abraham near the trees of Mamre when God appears to him. Then immediately we cut to three "human" figures approaching him.

No mention of God at this point but then why the 1st verse? Unless it was to contextualize the account that followed it.

We have the 3 men, one of which Abraham addresses as Adonai (Lord), which can be used of humans, but is indicative in this case that Abraham, no small figure himself, sees this persons stature as higher than his. No questions like, "Who are you?" or "What are you doing in my camp?"... that in itself is strange don't you think? No, he asks for their blessing... and then invites them to dine with him.

He then calls for food to be prepared, a feast actually, which again demonstrates the honour Abraham is giving these "men".

One of them asks for Sarah, without ever having been told by Abraham of her existence. Maybe they are telepathic?

He then proceeds without any invitation to tell Abraham that he will have a son by Sarah, at this same time next year.

Sarah scoffs at this and then suddenly we have Yahweh speaking to her and then to Abraham, yet we have these 3 men there. Are we to think that this was a mere disembodied voice Abraham and Sarah heard?, then why include the 3 men at all?

If they are angels, then why was it necessary for God to Speak at all, since his representatives were there?

It only makes sense if one of those 3 men was God himself in human form, exactly as he was in human form when he appeared to Jacob and fought with him.

This is the exact sense we get fom the following verses, where we have a conversation between God an God....

16 When the men got up to leave, they looked down toward Sodom, and Abraham walked along with them to see them on their way.

17 Then the LORD said, "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do? 18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him. 19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."

20 Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."

Notice Yahwehs question and then Yahweh answering the question asked by HIMSELF?

Unless we want to accuse Yahweh of not being altogether there, we must accept that the textual context refers to two entities called Yahweh (one visible, the other invisible).

Then the men leave, but how many left?

It doesn't say but it does say that Abraham remained with the Lord. So if we are to assume that God was one of the 3 men then we would only have two men leaving and one staying behind...

What is extremely interesting is that in the next chapter we have exactly 2 angels arriving at Sodom.

The text doesn't say, Now 2 angels arrived at Sodom it states:

1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening,

Which two angels?

THE two angels, which we would recognize due to the context of chapter 18. The two that left the presence of God and Abraham.

It is implicitely referred purposefully and is demonstrated categorically by context, otherwise we have a story that doesn't make sense.

We can further see this situation when God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah, where we have again 2 Yahwehs present, one visible, one invisible.

Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens.

Please note something else:

23 Then Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked?

Who was it exactly that Abraham approached?

God?

Then Abraham could see God.... wow it only makes sense if the above interpretation is taken into account.

Recent Entries

Recent Comments