Photo

With Regards to Assisted Suicide

Posted by Hugh , 23 September 2010 · 199 views

I think there are cases where it should be legally allowed.

If the person is aware that they are dying from a disease, and they are in a lot of pain, and there is no hope for a cure or turnaround, then they should have the free choice to ask for an assisted suicide from a willing doctor that has the means necessary to make it quick and as painless as possible.

I've often thought about my own demise somewhere in the future, and hope that if I'm in such a situation, that those around me would support me in my decision. I don't want to be a burden on others when it gets to that point, if it gets to that point, I would hope that others would see it as an act of mercy and love.

Just give me an extra dose of morphine and let me be at peace, thank you and bless you. :)

If abortion is legal than assisted suicides should be as well.

It makes no sense that a child can be aborted before they are born, and without any say in the decision making, yet an adult isn't allowed to prematurely end their life with assistance from another as a means of dying in a more peaceful and less painful manner than the alternatives of killing themself or simply existing and dealing with pain until they finally pass on.

With that said, I am against abortion and can certainly understand why others would frown upon making it legal for doctors to assist any individual in the taking of their own life. Since abortion is legal however, then I see no reason as to why assisting one in suicide isn't as well.

Reason alone tells me that the act of assisting someone who actually has a say in their choice to die should be legal well before the killing of a child who doesn't have any say in the decision making.

-Sliver-, on 23 September 2010 - 06:01 AM, said:

If abortion is legal than assisted suicides should be as well.

It makes no sense that a child can be aborted before they are born, and without any say in the decision making, yet an adult isn't allowed to prematurely end their life with assistance from another as a means of dying in a more peaceful and less painful manner than the alternatives of killing themself or simply existing and dealing with pain until they finally pass on.

With that said, I am against abortion and can certainly understand why others would frown upon making it legal for doctors to assist any individual in the taking of their own life. Since abortion is legal however, then I see no reason as to why assisting one in suicide isn't as well.

Reason alone tells me that the act of assisting someone who actually has a say in their choice to die should be legal well before the killing of a child who doesn't have any say in the decision making.

That's a good argument from the legal standpoint -Sliver-, I agree with what you've said.

-Sliver-, on 23 September 2010 - 01:01 AM, said:

[font=georgia]If abortion is legal than assisted suicides should be as well.

Logically you are correct. However, while I support the right to choose for women when it comes to abortions but still don't exactly cheer them on to get them, I feel the same way about assisted suicide.

This is a thorny issue... But basically while I think suicide is simply never the answer I guess I have to say that having that option has to be on the table.

Recent Comments

May 2015

S M T W T F S
24 25 2627282930