Photo

Subway

Posted by CommunitarianKevin , 15 March 2012 · 2,987 views

Subway v. McDonalds
This is something I typed up a while back but I always feel the need to get the word out...
So here is my first post...

Subway is way healthier than McDonald’s.
I hear this all the time, especially from Subway employees and I want to kick people in the throat every time I hear it. First, a little about me…In the Air Force my job is Services. Services deals with food, fitness, lodging, mortuary, recreation, honor guard, and basically everything to do with moral. Our main job is food and that is where most of our training is at. On top of working in Services for 3 years I am a simple math class away from an associate in Hotel, Fitness, and Restaurant management. I also spent time working in Fitness in which we dealt with fitness and nutrition. I went on the economy and received a personal training certification from AFAA. I worked as a personal trainer from a year and a half after I got off of active duty…I am familiar with food…not that this all matters because I have the ability to read.

I will very rarely eat at Subway anymore because of the way they treated me. After months of looking for a job I finally got a job at Subway (Why is unemployment high? See my experience above. Apparently I am not qualified to do the job high schoolers do.) After I started they hired a new manage (he was 18) and decided to give me only 2 hours a week while having a sign out front saying “Now Hiring.” I gave him my 2 week notice because 2 hours a week is pointless. He said “Ok well I guess you can leave.” I laughed at walked out. May as well give a shout out…This is an ACR owned Subway in Apple Valley, Minnesota and the owner of this Subway is some elderly lady with billions of dollars but still calls every Sunday morning to see how much money they have made.

Anyways back to the question…Is Subway healthier? Subway is kind enough to list calories in their subs and the calories listed for the Big Mac and the Whopper on their napkins. All their sandwiches listed have less than 5 grams of fat. This is from Subway.com  “Subs with 6 grams of fat or less include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and green peppers.”
You can find that here…

http://www.subway.co...spx?id=breadtop

To be fair, let’s give Subway the benefit of the doubt and look at my personal choice for a sandwich. I would get a foot long Oven Roasted Chicken Breast on 9 grain wheat bread, with no cheese. I did put ranch on it…It was generally for 2 meals but I did occasionally make 1 meal out of it.

According to Subway.com the Oven Roasted Chicken Breast 6 inch sub contains 320 or 330 calories depending on whether you go by the napkin or the website. They claim this amount is WITH the cheese because it says this…All other sandwich values include cheese unless otherwise noted.

Well that is a flat out lie and here is why. It states, on their website, A 6 inch Black Forest Ham (without Cheese) is 290 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. A 12 inch is double that right? So a 12 inch Black Forest Ham with no cheese is 580 calories and 9 grams of fat. Under the foot longs it has a Black Forest Ham 570 calories and 9 grams of fat. American Cheese (2 triangles) is 40 calories and 3.5 grams of fat. 4 of them go on a foot long. Using simple math or a calculator we can figure out that a foot long Ham with cheese should total 660 calories and 16 grams of fat. How then does Subway manage to LOSE calories when compared to the 6 inch and gain no fat? For those of you who don’t know we make a 6 inch by cutting a 12 inch piece of bread in half.

Luckily for them, I don’t put cheese on my sandwich. So we are at 640 calories for a foot long Chicken Breast with no cheese. I put lettuce and spinach on mine, nothing added there. Finally, the Ranch I put on there…Subway lists their Ranch as 25 calories as “amount on wrap,” whatever the hell that means. Let’s call it 50 calories for my foot long. Best case totals…

Foot long-690 calories and that is with no cheese and on wheat bread.

6 inch-345 calories again with no cheese and on wheat bread.

The Big Mac (according to Subway) has 540 calories. My best case 12 inch sub can’t beat that.
Let’s take a look using a more fair comparison and more real world situations based on my brief experience at Subway. Since a Big Mac is made of ground beef I think a fair comparison would be the meatball marinara because meatballs are made out of ground beef also. Of course their fat asses are going to get the foot long. The 6 inch is listed at 580 calories. That is 1160 for our foot long. Also no one gets their meatball on wheat bread; they get it on Italian Herb and Cheese. That is 40 calories more and 4 grams of fat more per 6 inches, so 80 calories and 8 grams of fat on our foot long. They normally put the shredded cheese on it which (for a foot long) is 100 more calories and 9 grams of fat. No veggies on this sandwich of course but they do however love to add parmesan cheese. Subway does not list this so I had to Google it. Could we agree that 2 servings is fair? 2 servings is 40 calories and 4 grams of fat. And for some reason people also love the southwest chipotle on it which is 100 calories and 10 grams of fat on a 6 inch.
Foot long (as listed by Subway) 1160 calories and 46 grams of fat.

Additional 80 calories and 8 grams of fat for the bread.

Additional 100 calories and 9 grams of fat for the cheese (which I already proved was not added to their total.)

Additional 40 calories and 4 grams of fat for the parmesan cheese.

And finally 200 calories and 20 grams of fat for the dressing.

Foot long total on your typical Meatball Marinara-1580 calories and 87 grams of fat.

6 inch total on your typical Meatball Marinara-790 calories and 43.5 grams of fat.

Once again, according to Subway, a Big Mac is 540 calories and 29 grams of fat.

When looking at McDonald’s stuff at http://nutrition.mcd...ritionfacts.pdf
The worst thing I could find on their menu as far as burgers go was the Angus Chipotle BBQ Bacon burger and that is 800 calories and 39 grams of fat (or about the same as our meatball marinara from Subway.)
This is why I want to kick people in the throat every time they tell me Subway is healthier.
On a final note, I hate this one…”A Big Mac, fries, and a large DIET Coke? Who are they fooling? Just get the normal Coke!”

According to http://nutrition.mcd...ritionfacts.pdf a large Coke contains 310 calories and a large Diet Coke contains 0 calories. Who are they fooling? Obviously you, dumbass. Women buy different yogurts over 5 simple calories but you think 310 calories doesn’t make a difference?
The person getting a Big Mac, fries, and a diet coke is probably eating just as healthy if not healthier as someone getting a Subway sandwich, chips and a COKE. Why is America fat? Inability to read and do basic math obviously…

Wordless Wanderer
Mar 15 2012 01:27 PM
I am going to show your blog to my mother and take a trip to McDonalds. :P On a serious note, thanks for the enlightenment, I was ( up till now) someone who believed in the people you want to kick in the throat.  And the diet coke part is so true!! Sometimes I am not able to control myself and I actually ask people to order a normal coke. Of course I am shot down with a "I didn't ask you".

CommunitarianKevin
Mar 15 2012 06:08 PM
Hey thanks for reading. Hmm maybe I shouldn't have made it sound so much like a rant...I did type it up quite a while ago. Either way I'm glad you weren't too offended and found some good out of it. Now I'm not saying to eat McDonalds or any other fast food daily, I am just pointing out that places are only as healthy as you make them and subway is a fraud.

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    Hasina
    11 Jan 2013 - 13:35
  • Photo
    Mr.United_Nations
    11 Jan 2013 - 13:03
  • Photo
    Rlyeh