Photo

Ghost Memory Analysis

Posted by karmakazi , 27 April 2012 · 1,290 views

I have this memory from when I was a kid, probably 6-7 years old.  I was walking past an open door with a closed screen door - so I could see outside through the screen.  It was night and with lights on inside the house, and everything outside looked completely dark.  In the doorway, just outside the doorwas the  figure of a very short (maybe 3 foot tall) woman, who looked very old, kind of dressed in gypsy like garb and completely white and seemed kind of see thru.

Not only do I have the memory, I remember periods in my life where I remembered and thought about it, or told other people about it.  So I am certain I've had this memory since the age I recall it happening.  I recall that at the time it happened, I was fully awake and going about my day.  I do not remember mentioning what I saw to my mom or specifically what I was doing before or after the event.  

There are a few points I cannot remember for certain:  whether there was storm glass in the door or only screen (which would have caused a reflection); if the woman appeared the same height as me; and if I was in the middle of walking when I saw it or standing still (I am almost 100% certain I was walking and what I saw was motionless).  I do recall that everything besides the woman was very dark, as if I was not seeing the rest of the room behind me reflected which leads me to think this was not a reflection - but I cannot be sure of that.

It appeared she was standing outside the door, facing in.  I was walking past with my head turned facing the door, so my gaze was roughly perpendicular to the glass and had it been my reflection I would have seen my face towards the glass but the rest of my body would have been sideways, not face forward in the reflection as I recall the woman's body being face forward.  there is also that she looked very old and ... frankly kind of like a cartoon.  That last bit is most likely an embellishment of the memory because I can't fully recall the details of her face.

As I walked past, I glanced at the door, saw her, glanced away, realized what I saw and looked back, and she was gone.  When I looked back I was still walking past the door, as it was as quick as you'd expect a double take to be.

I've self-analyzed the memory and come to the conclusion I can't know for certain if I saw a genuine ghostly figure, if it was a dream that I think is a memory, or if I was awake but only seeing my reflection.

I don't really believe in ghosts... I'm basically undecided and skeptical on the subject, I just happen to have this one weird memory.

White Crane Feather
Apr 28 2012 03:30 PM
I used to think I saw a tiny fat man dart across the road stop look at me, then run off again. I was about 6. Upon being more interested in this encounter as an adult I meditated about it one day. Regressed myself through the incident. Then I realized I had seen a shadow probably of a large bird. Then I had embellished on it to friends, siblings, and parents  to create a false memory that I believed whole heartadly until I regressed myself.

A good friend of mine ( we were haveing a similar discussion) told all his friends when he was about 10 years old that he had had sex. He told it so many times, that he forgot that it was a childish lie. He was 16 years old in a youth group at a Christian church and broke down in tears that he was a sinner and was rejecting his sexual actions.... On the drive home he cheered up finally remembering that he had made it all up. The drama of his confession shocked him because he realized he had come to beleive his own lie.

Quite interesting.

I work with children, and they are very susceptible to this. A simple mis placed question can implant a memory that does not exist.

"Johnny, did your brother hit you?" if asked forcefully enough a young child will almost always say yes if they think that is what you think. a few days latter it will be truth for them complete with details.
"Joe Citizen, did UBL hit you!?"

...i see what you mean
LOL if UBL is who I think it is, that's a good one :)

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

• Photo
    The Big Move
    By _Only
    Nov 29 2012 05:55 PM
  • Photo
    Choice
    By The Mule
    Nov 13 2012 11:57 AM
  • Photo
    Choice