Photo

It gave me pause

Posted by karmakazi , 07 September 2012 · 581 views

I read a brief synopsis of 1984 that made me pause for a moment...

It mentioned how Winston wrote in his journal because he wasn't certain that his memories of the past were accurate or that they would last, so he wanted to record them (despite it being forbidden) so that he would not "lose" the memories amidst the new history that was constantly being published.

I paused because I know that my memory isn't that great, and there has been many a time that I thought I had remembered something I learned previously or that had happened in the past, and when I looked it up again (online) I found that it was not the way I had remembered it.

Normally, I'd pass it off as my own memory failing me.  But, just for a moment today I wondered if there has ever been something I remembered accurately, but records of the event as available today are inaccurate, whether deliberately or in error.

I don't really care about the conspiracy theory aspects of this concept, but I am continuously facinated by the idea that thing we did not experience ourselves might never have happened.  We trust the sources that tell us about them, but unless you were there, how can you really, really, I mean really know that it happened?

It's the difference between knowing and accepting, I think, and the line between the two is quite often blurred.

Another good entry miss karma

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

• Photo
    The Big Move
    By _Only
    Nov 29 2012 05:55 PM
  • Photo
    Choice
    By The Mule
    Nov 13 2012 11:57 AM
  • Photo