Photo

Why Me?

Posted by Ealdwita , 02 December 2013 · 351 views

So, the recession has finally hit the farm!

At least, I assume that's why someone tied a young, frightened, and very pregnant Equus africanus asinus to a fencepost in Foxen-Hill Toll field last night. It was only a matter of pure luck that she was found, as we don't use that field for much other than shooting parties in the nearby woodland, and I'd had a poke round down there myself only the day before, so the liklihood of anyone going down there before the next shoot in the middle of the month was pretty remote! But as luck would have it, Sue the stable-girl's car refused to start this morning so she cycled from the village via an old bridle path, and came face to face with the folorn waif in the mist. She could have stood there for days otherwise!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after finding a stall for her and coaxing some warm bran mash into her, I gave a police a call.

"Oh so you've got one now, have you?" says Sgt Wanhope, "There's been donkeys and ponies abandoned all over the county in the last few months. Best you can do is phone the Redwings Sanctuary, I reckons."

After thanking him and hanging up, I became conscious of a strange, powerful force boring into my skull.....I glanced up and met the combined glares of Sue and Mrs.E who had overheard that last sentence! I really must stop using the speakerphone!

So guess what? Another mouth to feed! I've kept her separate from the other two donkeys as I don't know just how pregnant she is. The Vet's coming tomorrow, (and I'm under strict instructions not to mention horse boxes and animal sanctuaries!)

I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime I'll leave the last word to  4yo granddaughter Emily who has Christened the new arrival 'Bertha'. I asked her how she knew her name was Bertha, to which Little Miss Precocious replied, "Because she told me, silly granddad!"

Oh well.

People are letting horses loose in the woods around here. Or they abandon their little yuppie "One Horse Farms" leaving dogs cats and sometimes even kids. I've been a holding farm for the SPCA and several other horse rescues and I am also a Great Pyrenees rescue and Pam, who lives with me is the Salem/Cumberland County SPCA "angry dog whisperer so I can tell you some stories.
Piney, it's people like you and Pam that restore my faith in human nature. Thank you.
My house is full of pets people no longer want, I am a sucker for abandoned or no longer wanted animals but we all get along really well.

Good call on your part Sir. Your a good man.

Ohelemapit, on 03 December 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

My house is full of pets people no longer want, I am a sucker for abandoned or no longer wanted animals but we all get along really well.

Good call on your part Sir. Your a good man.

Psst. Wanna buy a donkey, mate?

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tags

Categories

Latest Visitors

• Photo
      Mr.United_Nations
      24 Dec 2013 - 16:22
    • Photo