Photo

Chapter 4

Posted by Xanthurion2 , 16 January 2013 · 762 views

hospital story chapter four

All I did was stand up and every eye in the room focused on me. It's just one of those things that happen. It's human nature. If someone is walking down the road and they see something move in the corner of their eye, they look. Simple human curiosity. So let them look, I thought. I have to do something, besides my left leg had begun to fall asleep again.

"I'm going to have a look around." I said. I wasn't even sure anyone had heard me. And why had no one thought of giving the place a once over? Maybe they were all as reluctant as I was. After all, who knows what is really going on behind all these doors? I started to walk left towards the door Dr. Haxon and the killer headache guy went through right before all this started, when I was interrupted.

"I'm coming too." It was Tim. Of course.

"No. You stay here, guard the women and the boy."

"Guard them from what?"

"I don't know! They don't just trigger these lockdowns for nothing. Something is going on. Something bad. And you need to stay with them to protect them from whatever this is."

"Well, why can't you do it?"

"Because you have two arms."

"What difference does that make?"

"It's easier to fend off a murderer with two arms."

That was enough to shut him up. He slowly sat down. I looked at everybody once again. They all looked surprised and a little bit nervous after the whole 'murderer' comment. I walked to the door. Grasped the knob and twisted. 'Tried to twist' would be a more accurate description.

"It's locked." I told them. No reply. Just blank looks of hope mixed with fear and what might have been relief.

"I'll see if I can find some more doors." A nod of approval from Tim. Nothing from Mrs. Hickory. The little boy was awake. We probably woke him up with all of our almost shouting. He was sitting on the floor asking his mother when they can go home.

Ms. Santos was informing her son about what was happening. "The nice man is going to find a way out of here and then we can go home."

As I walked past them, towards the reception desk and the glass window behind which Jane had disappeared, Ms. Santos looked up and smiled at me. It was the most beautiful thing I saw that day. So full of hope and radiance. In that instant, her beauty rivaled that of Mother Nature herself. I smiled back. It was automatic, uncontrollable. It was the only thing I could do to reassure them.

I walked on. Past the empty receptionist's desk was another small waiting room. It was empty. The room was almost a mirrored image of the waiting room on the other side. Two big differences were: this room had an extra door and a hallway. Some smaller things I noticed as well: the stereotypical hospital paintings of waterfalls and rolling hills were different. This room had at least two extra chairs. And I'm pretty sure, the fake trees were a different species. After spending an hour in a waiting room, how could I not notice such trivial details?

I tried the first door. The door Haxon would have went in, had he been on this side of the hospital. It was also locked. The other door led to the receptionist area. Beyond the pane of glass. I gazed through the glass. I couldn't see anything suspicious. Just sheets of stacked paper, a computer, a bottle of water, and other miscellaneous items one would expect to see on a desk. I tried the knob. It didn't turn. I guess when a place locks down, they really mean it. Now there was only the hallway. I took a few steps down the hallway when I saw the door to the restrooms on either side of the water fountain.

StarMountainKid
Jan 16 2013 06:47 PM
Do they still have unisex restrooms? I would think it would be against some law these days. Nice building up of tension in this chapter.

Xanthurion2
Jan 17 2013 12:41 AM

StarMountainKid, on 16 January 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Do they still have unisex restrooms? I would think it would be against some law these days. Nice building up of tension in this chapter.

in certain places. it's a small town.

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Categories

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    StarMountainKid
    17 Oct 2014 - 00:32
  • Photo
    illuminated_Harmonist