Photo

A new direction for this blog, and future updates pending

Posted by Paranoid Android , 30 July 2013 · 1,405 views

dedicated to my father
Ok, as regular UM blog readers can tell, I haven't really been blogging that much.  However, from here this is going to change, and I hope to bring regular updates.  This is due to a new direction I want my blog to go.  I am now dedicating my blog to my father, who passed away on December 14, 2012 from an unexpected heart-attack.  My father was a complicated man.  He said very little, showed much love to all.  He wasn't socially active, he was shy and withdrawn, but at the same time he was a man with an immense desire to learn and give something to the world.  The internet was a great invention, it allowed him to share this learning with the world in a non-threatening environment.

So I suppose it should have come as no surprise when cleaning out his drawers to find a booklet filled with poetry.  I would never have pegged dad as an aspiring poet, though I guess deep down he did have the heart of a poet.  When I asked mum about the poetry, she said that this was work he'd down over 35 years ago, before they met (mum and dad celebrated their 35th Anniversary several months before his death).  My father had a spinal disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis that fused the vertebra of his spine together, meaning he was always walking with a bent back and thus incredible pain.  Though apart from uncontrolled yelps of pain I never once heard him complain.  He would go out and work as best he could, he'd take everything he could and gave everything he could.

As a young adult his way of controlling the pain was to use the English language (English isn't his first language, either, he was a Latvian who came over here as a 12-year old).  His suffering was his source of inspiration.  He stopped writing 35 years ago because he met my mother.  He had a new reason for living and poetry was not in it.  I suppose it's cliche for the writing industry, but some of the best authors pull inspiration from the greatest hurts in their life.  His inspiration for poetry was gone because it was replaced by my mother.  He could release his pain through love rather than through the power of words.

Ever since I found these poems I have considered starting a blog to commemorate and celebrate the remarkable talents of my father (and I may be biased, but I think his poetry is remarkable).  I feel I am now ready to share with the world what my father kept to himself.  I do intend to branch out into my own blog hosted by my own domain, but before I do that I would like to use my UM blog to do that - partly in thanks to the UM community for how they have been a light in life for so many years, and partly to ensure I learn what I can about blogging and avoid mistakes that might tarnish the memory of my father in a higher profile blog system (no offence to UM).  Depending on my time constraints, my ability to access a computer, and the length of poem in question, I may post one or two or three poems every 1-2 (maybe 3) days.  I appreciate the UM community for their support over the years, and I hope that this blog can now give proper memory to the man who raised me in love and understanding, and perhaps inspire others who have had a rough draw in life that there is hope and a bright future ahead, if you but look for it and have the courage to take it.

Thank you and best wishes,

~ Regards, PA

I lost my Dad just over eight years ago (aneurysm).

I'd like to know half of what he forgot.

Anyways, I look forward to your Dad's poems. :)

Daughter of the Nine Moons
Aug 06 2013 10:04 PM
Your dad was a special man PA how very fitting to honor him this way. I suspect he would approve.

Recent Comments