talking to myself

Photo

The First Step

Posted by markdohle , 22 December 2015 · 258 views

The First Step

O will of the Omnipotent God, You are my delight,

You are my joy. Whatever the hand of my Lord holds out to me

I will accept with gladness, submission and love. (Sr. Faustina’s diary...

Photo

Our deepest longings to be seen and loved

Posted by markdohle , 21 December 2015 · 230 views

Our deepest longings to be seen and loved

God with us is not some abstract theological theory,
but a lived experience if we do not fear the process
needed in order for that to become a reality

The season of Advent brings to the fore the importance of waiting, patience and endurance.  We all have rites of passage in our lives, some we...

Photo

The Lord is near, even in darkness and dryness of spirit (A quote and meditation from the Book He and I)

Posted by markdohle , 19 December 2015 · 349 views

The Lord is near, even in darkness and dryness of spirit

(A quote and meditation from the Book He and I)

“Don’t grow weary of me”…..I go away and come back to you.  And when I go away, you remain close to me.  Don’t be like the people who, in a season of dryness, flee from me and abandon Me. ...

Photo

The Middle-Coming of the Lord (Advent 2015)

Posted by markdohle , 18 December 2015 · 301 views

The Middle-Coming of the Lord
(Advent 2015)

“The Word became flesh and dwelt among us”.  This is the meaning of the season, for the Word that became flesh was from the beginning, as is stated in the commencement of the Gospel of John.  So if the above is true, then all of human history has been a time of waiting and of...

Photo

Being open and honest about what one can do (growing healthy boundaries with prisoners)

Posted by markdohle , 17 December 2015 · 319 views

Being open and honest about what one can do
(growing healthy boundaries with prisoners)

I am very serious in seeking out others who would be willing to write to prisoners.  However being a caregiver, I do have to work with boundaries. I am also aware that if someone starts to write prisoners because of my recommendation I have a...

Photo

Writing prisoners (pitfalls and dangers)

Posted by markdohle , 17 December 2015 · 296 views

Writing prisoners
(pitfalls and dangers)

When I got back from my trip I had a small pile of letters waiting from the prisoners that I write too.  One of the prisoners made a remark that made we wonder about him.  So I looked him up and was surprised...

Photo

Complete trust

Posted by markdohle , 02 December 2015 · 365 views

Complete trust

+Most Holy Trinity, I trust in Your infinite mercy.   God is my Father
and so I, His child, have every claim to His divine Heart;

and the greater the darkness, the more complete our trust should be.

(357 Sister...

Photo

Deep connection with the past (A surprise meeting in our retreat house)

Posted by markdohle , 01 December 2015 · 239 views

Deep connection with the past

(A surprise meeting in our retreat house)

Though I do think of my past and its affect on my life, I still underestimate its pull on my inner life.  Last Friday afternoon a couple checked in to our retreat house.  The husband’s name was Mike.  I was at my desk and he asked me if I was the...

Photo

The Infinite's embrace

Posted by markdohle , 30 November 2015 · 238 views

The Infinite's embrace

357+Most Holy Trinity, I trust in Your infinite mercy.  God is my Father and so I, His child,
have every claim to His divine Heart; and the greater the darkness, the more
complete our trust should be. (St. Faustina’s diary)

What if we had a human friend that responded by...

Photo

January 8-10 (Weekend) Good Grief—Moving from Loss to New Beginnings (Br. Mark)

Posted by markdohle , 30 November 2015 · 202 views

January 8-10 (Weekend)
Good Grief—Moving from Loss to New Beginnings
(Br. Mark)

Grief can help us move from the pain of loss into new hope and trust.  One door is closed, and the window of fresh air blows into our lives.  We can get stuck in the mud of endless tears, or we can look up to God, who is waiting to draw us up on...

Photo

Thinking about being a pilgrim (Journey at the end of life retreat 11/17-11/20/2015)

Posted by markdohle , 28 November 2015 · 368 views

Thinking about being a pilgrim
(Journey at the end of life retreat 11/17-11/20/2015)

I remember when I was around 10 or 11, watching a movie with my mother way past my bed time.   In the movie one of the actors greeted a friend by saying “hello pilgrim”.  It was an old film from the 30’s.  I thought about that word...

Photo

Journeying at the end of life (Retreat 11/17-11/20/2015)

Posted by markdohle , 27 November 2015 · 256 views

Journeying at the end of life
(Retreat 11/17-11/2015)

This weekend we are having a retreat about care-giving those who are entering the last stage of their lives.  My talk will consist of the actual relationship that is developed as well as the inner dynamics that are always present.  If there is a royal pathway towards self knowledge,...

Photo

Alteration/Thankfulness

Posted by markdohle , 26 November 2015 · 239 views

Alteration/Thankfulness

I would say a lot of the emotion in what I do is a sort of a thankfulness for those energies being around, because there's been points in my life when they weren't around, and it's a real sort of miserable...

Photo

Lighter moments in liturgy (yes they happen)

Posted by markdohle , 25 November 2015 · 215 views

Lighter moments in liturgy

(yes they happen)

I am the mass reader this week.  This morning we had a reading from the book of Daniel. It was a story about King Belshazzar asking that the vessels that where taken from Israel be brought in so he and his court could drink from them.  So as  I was reading along, as usual...

Photo

The deepening of our faith and trust

Posted by markdohle , 24 November 2015 · 307 views

The deepening of our faith and trust

The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say,
'O God, forgive me,'...

Photo

A place to stand from to be rooted in

Posted by markdohle , 23 November 2015 · 216 views

A place to stand from to be rooted in

24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is...

Photo

Personal freedom is not easy to contemplate

Posted by markdohle , 22 November 2015 · 289 views

Personal freedom is not easy to contemplate

No matter where one lives, be it in a big city, or a small town, or a monastery or yes in prison, the day to day living is not that  much different.  Life is life, and I don’t know of anyone who can escape its struggles and absurdities.  As well, thank God, for some...

Photo

What is practice?

Posted by markdohle , 21 November 2015 · 245 views

What is practice?

In seeking to live deeply ones spiritual path it is best to keep it as uncomplicated as possible.  Have a practice that is simple to do, because effort is needed in keeping one foot in front of the other.  Not to think of two steps forward or obsess on what happened two steps back, but to simply start where one is at.  In...

Photo

Faith and the unconscious

Posted by markdohle , 21 November 2015 · 259 views

Faith and the Unconscious

The truth is that our unconscious minds are active, purposeful, and independent. Hidden they may be, but their effects are anything but, for they play a critical role in shaping the way our conscious minds experience and respond to the world.---Leonard Mlodinow

In order to grow in self knowledge the unconscious...

Photo

Chains of oppression and mercy/justice

Posted by markdohle , 20 November 2015 · 295 views

Chains of oppression and mercy/justice

The belief that God is merciful is often hard for many to accept or to understand. Mercy is often thought of as something for another, a wrong doer, someone who has caused personal harm. To let the one receiving mercy off the hook. Which is a dangerous illusion to actually believe, forestalling...