talking to myself

Photo

Trying to bring it all together

Posted by markdohle , 13 July 2012 · 447 views

Trying to bring it all together

There is always more than one side to any of us.  True we are each unique, but we share a common humanity and that is what allows us to communicate with each other.  Even with that however, we can only put before others a small fragment of who we are.  We each have deep inner lives, often much of it hidden,...

Photo

Thinking of God

Posted by markdohle , 12 July 2012 · 240 views

Thinking of God

I can  think of God as merely being some kind of super human being, more loving, and forgiving, but in the long run really not much different than I am. In other words I tend to make God into my image and likeness, which again can be hurtful to my prayer life, and my intimacy with God. When I
do this I take away from the...

Photo

True love cast out fear

Posted by markdohle , 12 July 2012 · 330 views

True love cast out fear

The first epistle of John states that “true love cast out fear”, that is my
goal, I cannot truly live a loving life, nor have a deep prayer life when
fear has a strangle hold on me.

Photo

Nothing to hide

Posted by markdohle , 11 July 2012 · 227 views

What, do you wish to know your Lord’s meaning in this thing?
Know it well, love was his meaning.
Who reveals it to you? Love
What did he reveal to you? Love
Why does he reveal it to you? For Love
Remain in this. And you will know more of the same
I looked at the hazel nut with the eye of my understanding and thought, what can...

Photo

It happens to just about everyone

Posted by markdohle , 11 July 2012 · 296 views

It happens to just about everyone

No matter what belief, faith or philosophical stance that is taken, the one holding it will one day be attack for being different from the attacker.  It is a sling fest I believe and perhaps it has always been so.  Today however it does seem to be more prevalent, no doubt because of our ability to...

Photo

Emotional states

Posted by markdohle , 10 July 2012 · 244 views

Emotional states

In order to grow in trust of God, and by that to deepen my prayer life, my emotional reaction to God, that is based on fear, has to be dealt with on a conscious level. What I have learned is that my emotional state is not a  true indicator of trust. Any emotional state that keeps me from approaching God  has to be resisted...

Photo

Divine Mercy

Posted by markdohle , 09 July 2012 · 257 views

Divine Mercy

It is easy to talk about the mercy of God, but difficult to understand the depth of the mystery that we are dealing with.  The human understanding of justice has to do with righting of wrongs, bringing the scales back into balance, which of course is impossible.  For justice and revenge are first cousins, often...

Photo

My own worst enemy

Posted by markdohle , 08 July 2012 · 394 views

My own worst enemy

I go through times of inner shattering, when everything seems to go in too many directions at once.  I feel tired, angry and have trouble praying or focusing on scripture.  I know much of it because of my sleep cycle.  I have always been a light sleeper and even as a young child and teenager, could never sleep in on...

Photo

Obstacles

Posted by markdohle , 08 July 2012 · 232 views

Obstacles

When I think about prayer, one of the first things that come to mind is the obstacles that keep me from entering fully into the prayer experience. More often than not my intellectual development will outstrip my emotional growth. For instance on an intellectual level, I can truly believe in the infinite love of God. I can tell...

Photo

Reward

Posted by markdohle , 06 July 2012 · 252 views

Reward

What is the reward for loving God and by that fact our deepening ability to love others?  The remuneration for love is too simply love more.  If God is love, infinite love as manifested to us in Christ Jesus, then our relationship is not static but goes deeper into this mystery of love.  Our movies, literature, art and our most...

Photo

Hearsay

Posted by markdohle , 06 July 2012 · 272 views

Hearsay

How much do we really know?  It is easy to take hearsay about some other person, or nation, culture or religion at face value, often without feeling the need to check up on it.  I know that I am guilty of it, more often than I would care to admit…. but here I am admitting it.  In this day and age, I would think that most of...

Photo

We need not be victims

Posted by markdohle , 05 July 2012 · 338 views

We need not be victims

When angry with someone from the past,
when energy is spent in reliving the event,
time is wasted on a memory,
something past and gone,
often giving power to those who hurt
whether it was intentional or not.

We need not be victims,
heavy chains that only we have the key for,
which is forgiveness,
hard to...

Photo

Breathe

Posted by markdohle , 04 July 2012 · 342 views

Breathe

In the worst of days, in the barest of times, when all seems dark, there is always something that we can be thankful for, to lift up our hearts and thank God for our life. For our past that has made us who we are today….for those who love us, and for those whom we love.  It can be hard when drowning, to fight for the surface to get a...

Photo

Freedom to believe

Posted by markdohle , 04 July 2012 · 303 views

Freedom to believe

There are many different ways to look at freedom.  One important freedom is right to follow one faith without interference from the government.  It is a freedom hard won by our founding fathers.  It also implies that respect needs to be accorded to all men no matter what their faith path is, or if they have none.  When...

Photo

Illusions

Posted by markdohle , 03 July 2012 · 268 views

Illusions

Security is an important for most people.  We long for continuity, solidity, we want life to run smoothly and in accordance with our wants and desires.  We take care of ourselves; try to protect and take care of those we love and to have a life that is filled with happiness.  I believe that clinging to anything, is how we live...

Photo

What we truly believe?

Posted by markdohle , 30 June 2012 · 308 views

What we truly believe?

I had lunch with a friend yesterday and he was talking about taking a trip, something he has discussed with me quite a few times.  He is a few months older than me, he is 64 years old.  I brought up the fact that, perhaps too bluntly, that he was running out of time, and that if he wanted to...

Photo

The path and faith I profess

Posted by markdohle , 29 June 2012 · 248 views

The path and faith I profess

I often wonder what life would be like if I were more stable in my efforts to follow the path and faith I profess.  I always hit ‘chaos land’ after a plateau of peace.  I come to an intersection with five points and it seems that my energy takes off into all of them at the same time.  I can’t...

Photo

Betrayal

Posted by markdohle , 28 June 2012 · 334 views

Betrayal

I was talking to a lady the other day.  She was talking about some struggles she was having with her relationship with her husband.  It was a typical problem, as common as green grass on a rainy day. Yet still painful, for each problem, no matter how common…. is still lived out one person, or couple, or family, at a time. ...

Photo

When we begin

Posted by markdohle , 27 June 2012 · 292 views

When we begin

When someone makes a choice to change, say for instance, a man decides to be more attentive to his wife, what happens is that he becomes more aware of ways that he was not attentive, hence a deepening of self awareness and perhaps inner...

Photo

Response and reactions

Posted by markdohle , 27 June 2012 · 297 views

Response and reactions

It is often hard to understand, that most people can actually steer their moods, though they can't be controlled.... unless it is tried by some kind of addiction or another.  Is the day a good one are a bad one? If it is bad, well, can some responsibility be...