talking to myself

Photo

A conversation with a very humble woman (Breaking family cycles)

Posted by markdohle , 02 April 2016 · 564 views

A conversation with a very humble woman

(Breaking family cycles)

I was talking to one of our retreatants last evening.  A very nice lady in her 40’s, who has been here a couple of times, has like most of us had some rough times in her life.  She talked...

Photo

Flight from no one to nowhere

Posted by markdohle , 30 March 2016 · 546 views

Flight from no one to nowhere

It is hard to know when to let someone go,
their road they must set out alone,
to have faith in God’s regard and love,
and presence within their often shattered hearts.

I don’t know often what to do,
perhaps nothing is the answer,

Yet this woman came by this week,
people were after her
watching from every exit as...

Photo

Jesus shows us the Father (The Model of Peter and Judas)

Posted by markdohle , 29 March 2016 · 527 views

Jesus shows us the Father
(The Model of Peter and Judas)

When reading the ‘Last Discourse’ in the Gospel of John, there is a very interesting dynamic in how Jesus related to Peter and Judas.  Jesus was greatly distressed over what Judas was about to do and I would believe over Peter as well.

With Judas...

Photo

Easter Sunday 2016

Posted by markdohle , 27 March 2016 · 184 views

Easter Sunday 2016

How strange it is that our faith often has so little impact on our lives.  On Easter Christians celebrate the resurrection of Christ Jesus.  Yet the fire, the passion of this day is often reduced to a lukewarm assent and then life as usual.  We can live in such a way as to make our faith a lie.  The Fire of the Holy...

Photo

Holy Saturday 2016

Posted by markdohle , 26 March 2016 · 186 views

Holy Saturday 2016

This morning I got up at my usual time, made coffee for the retreatants and then did my morning Lectio.  I went up to the abbey church a little early to sit.  The church at this time has no sanctuary light, and the Eucharist is absent.  I guess you would have to belong to a Christian denomination that places the...

Photo

The face of Christ (Good Friday 2016)

Posted by markdohle , 25 March 2016 · 198 views

The Face of Christ

(Good Friday 2016)

In life there is joy and peace, health and posterity.  Yet all things end and loss and suffering enter into all lives.  Jesus was hailed and loved and followed, and then he was cursed, hated and abandoned, even by his most trusted disciples.  Betrayed by one, denied by another, the...

Photo

The mystery of Christ's humanity

Posted by markdohle , 19 March 2016 · 247 views

The mystery of Christ’s humanity

(How do we meet Jesus when we travel with him during Holy Week?)

My daughter, My pleasure and delight, nothing will stop me
from granting you graces.  Your misery does not hinder my mercy.  My daughter, write that the greater the misery of a soul, the...

Photo

Meeting Jesus during Holy Week (Thoughts for this weekends retreat, rough draft)

Posted by markdohle , 18 March 2016 · 382 views

Meeting Jesus during Holy Week
(Thoughts for this weekends retreat, rough draft)

People will often seek knowledge about Jesus, which is important.  They will study, write papers go to conferences, give talks on Jesus etc., yet that is not the same as meeting Jesus.  Study is important, necessary in...

Photo

Thoughts on the book “The Great Divorce” By C.S. Lewis (Not a book review)

Posted by markdohle , 17 March 2016 · 389 views

Thoughts on the book “The Great Divorce”
By C.S. Lewis
(Not a book review)

C.S. Lewis thought that hell was in the minds of those who are there, while heaven is actual reality since it is union with God.  Many atheist say they are realist, I guess that means that those who believe in the Transcendent are not.   I think it is a...

Photo

My talk with a Hospice Chaplain

Posted by markdohle , 15 March 2016 · 421 views

My talk with a Hospice Chaplain

One of our retreatants that are here this week is a Hospice Chaplain and has been so for 13 years.  Since I worked with the elderly here and was with many of the monks in their last moments, we had something to talk about.  He shared some of his experiences with me about the dying...

Photo

Why I am a Christian /Catholic

Posted by markdohle , 14 March 2016 · 395 views

Susan Smith is one of our regular retreatants here.  She comes two or three times a year.  She has a wonderful way expressing herself about her faith and I want to share something that she has written to me.  She is very intelligent and a very delightful person to meet.  This is her take on being Catholic.  She is a very open person and respects all faiths,...

Photo

Our support in our struggles

Posted by markdohle , 13 March 2016 · 380 views

Our support in our struggles

There is one word I heed and continually ponder; it alone is everything to me; I live by it and die by it, and it is the holy will of God.  It is my daily food.  My whole soul listens intently to God’s wishes.  I do always what God asks of me, although my nature often quakes and I feel that the...

Photo

Our hiddenness from others

Posted by markdohle , 12 March 2016 · 406 views

Our hiddenness from others

How could you every count my sacrifices?  The stars witnessed My nightly prayers; the cold, My frozen limbs; the earth, my broken feet. --- 5/11/48 paragraph 6

He and I (Pauline books)

We all live hidden lives.  We can talk about ourselves, our joys and sufferings, our...

Photo

“I am so agitated all the time”, he told me (You can’t heard cats or people if you try your head will explode)

Posted by markdohle , 10 March 2016 · 320 views

“I am so agitated all the time”, he told me

(You can’t heard cats or people if you try your head will explode)

Just about anything that is discussed that has to deal with relationships can sound so like a cliché, but none-the-less can be true.  A cliché...

Photo

The Illusion

Posted by markdohle , 08 March 2016 · 344 views

The Illusion

(You do not know what tomorrow will bring.
What is your life? For you are a mist that appears
for a little time and then vanishes.)---James 4:14

+++++

When in the moment, is seems solid,
something enduring, real, rooted,
then you blink, and something else arrives.

Do we ride over a void which this illusion hides,
our essential emptiness,...

Photo

Shame and Guilt

Posted by markdohle , 05 March 2016 · 322 views

Shame and Guilt

Shame and guilt can be a powerful force in the beginning of ones spiritual path, for if based on truth it is the beginning of self knowledge.  However it needs to be let go of as one progresses on the spiritual path.  The more we trust, the less hold our past has on us.  The less self centered we become and the more other...

Photo

Left holding air Faith/Surety)

Posted by markdohle , 04 March 2016 · 301 views

Left holding air
Faith/Surety)

Becoming a disciple takes time. Sometimes I think I am just beginning to get it.  Not even sure I’ve got it now, but certain things make more sense...years intervene while the convert (monk) struggles to become what he is.” Michael Casey in an...

Photo

Politics

Posted by markdohle , 03 March 2016 · 320 views

Politics

Politics is important but the availability of coverage and the preponderance of negative campaigning during the fight for nomination, actually leave me totally confused…I like the word ‘confuded’..  It would seem that they are all dishonest, only in for themselves and will do anything to get in office, even if...

Photo

Trump Rap

Posted by markdohle , 02 March 2016 · 312 views

Trump Rap

I know this is not a good place to play, but I decided write some
"Trump Rap". It is both in fun and serious. I get confused over politics, but can't say I trust this guy.

Trump Rap

Yo Yo,

Gather round friends and listen to me

I from the billionaire...

Photo

The Little Way

Posted by markdohle , 01 March 2016 · 267 views

The Little Way

In sum, then, the little way is often is often a little way of darkness. It’s about accepting that we are to put with ourselves---with all the darkness of our weakness, brokenness, and sin---without getting discouraged.From the book:  33 Days of Merciful Love
by Michael E. Gaitley. ...