talking to myself

Photo

Lectio Divina

Posted by markdohle , 13 May 2014 · 190 views

Lectio Divina

Anything that we consider worthwhile pursuing takes focus, discipline and a willingness to do what is necessary to acquire what we are seeking.  We see it all the time.  People will sacrifice all that they posses for the accomplishment of one goal in their lives.   We see it in athletes’, the...

Photo

Learning to listen

Posted by markdohle , 12 May 2014 · 212 views

Learning to listen

When thinking of Lectio Divina, the focus is usually on the Scriptures and reading from it on a regular basis in a disciplined manner.  It is a relationship with a book, a holy book, one in which we learn to listen to what the Holy Spirit wished to impart to us as we slowly...

Photo

An encounter with a possum

Posted by markdohle , 11 May 2014 · 187 views

An encounter with a possum

I get up early, not too early for those of us who live here, but it gives me enough time to make coffee for our retreatants, as well as to do my Lectio and devotions.  Yesterday when I opened up the front door of our retreat house I noticed how pleasant it was, so I decided to go for a...

Photo

Simeonís yes and ours (Our brother along the way)

Posted by markdohle , 10 May 2014 · 190 views

Simeon’s yes and ours
(Our brother along the way)

Mary and Joseph took Jesus up to Jerusalem to be dedicated to God; Jesus being their first born son.  Simeon, an old man, who had spent his life seeking deeper communion with God, as well as understanding the mysteries of his faith; was present that day...

Photo

The shadowy land

Posted by markdohle , 09 May 2014 · 185 views

The shadowy land

(The soul being the one pursued by God,
filled with God’s life and healed and loved,
is for both men and women,
feminine)

I found myself in a place of sadness, on a road of stone in a cold dark world…. on my left was a great chasm wide and deep and...

Photo

A man with a problem and a gun

Posted by markdohle , 08 May 2014 · 181 views

A man with a problem and a gun

When I was guest master for a short time from late 1990 to early 1992 I had some interesting experiences with different types of visitors.  The vast majorities were of course no problem, from different religious traditions and here seeking quiet and a time to reflect….or...

Photo

Working with the public

Posted by markdohle , 07 May 2014 · 192 views

Working with the public

Working with the public everyday is quite an experience.  The “public” can be interesting.  A constant flow of people coming through, talking with them, getting to know many of them, and becoming friends with a few of them and liking most of them.  

It is amazing what is hidden...

Photo

Invisible

Posted by markdohle , 06 May 2014 · 181 views

Invisible

If we think of ourselves as an introvert or an extrovert it does not really matter.  In the end we are all inward beings with a deep, rich, painful and complex life that is hidden from those around us.  The most outgoing of persons interprets, reacts, and speaks from their...

Photo

We all have those moments

Posted by markdohle , 05 May 2014 · 182 views

We all have those moments
(one moment from Panama)

All kinds of funny things can happen to us.  When they happen they can be embarrassing.  Like the time I got mustard in my beard in a restaurant.  I tried to wipe it, it spread, I went to the ‘rest room’ to...

Photo

A lousy shopper in a guayabera shirt

Posted by markdohle , 04 May 2014 · 227 views

A lousy shopper in a guayabera shirt

We have a Publix near us.  I can only say that the store does give good service.  I am not a good shopper.  I almost always get lost in stores, and wander about looking for ‘things’; getting upset that they arrange things is such a manner that ‘I’...

Photo

Memories of Panama, Midway Island and homesickness and nostalgia

Posted by markdohle , 03 May 2014 · 184 views
and homesickness and nostalgi

Memories of Panama, Midway Island
and homesickness and nostalgia

Memories are very interesting, giving both pleasure and pain.  The pleasant ones, those based on our past can bring out a sweet melancholy that for me can’t quite be pinpointed.  Thoughts and pictures from the past that can be wiped clean, leaving only what was good,...

Photo

Panama, Gulick Heights and the Lord of the Flies (the book)

Posted by markdohle , 02 May 2014 · 194 views

Panama, Gulick Heights, and the Lord of the Flies (the book)

When I was a young man I remember reading the book “The Lord of the flies”.  It is a story about a group of children of all ages trapped on an island with no adult supervision.  It is not a pleasant read, but one that should be read for its understanding of aspects of...

Photo

Rehashed Jesus

Posted by markdohle , 01 May 2014 · 327 views

Rehashed Jesus

What is it about Jesus that everyone has to have some sort of theory seeking to debunk his reality?   I think one reason for some, though not all, is fear.  Jesus did talk about our freedom, how in the end we become something.  Either we become like God, or we become though our own choices eternal horrors.  The last judgment scene in the...

Photo

Fatigue, inner conflict, creativity and other sundry stuff

Posted by markdohle , 30 April 2014 · 204 views

Fatigue inner conflict, creativity and other sundry stuff

Many people suffer from one from of fatigue or another.  Even when I was young; when I was in good shape in my 20’s, 30’s and 40’s,  I lifted weights, ran, though I was never that good at running…..swam, danced and did lots of walking and power...

Photo

A muddle of perhaps confused thoughts

Posted by markdohle , 30 April 2014 · 167 views

A muddle of perhaps confused thoughts

We live in a world that is not cruel, or out to get us, yet things are set up wherein one day something will ‘happen’.  For many there will be more than a few days when the ‘happening’ comes into the picture.  The saying “that life turns on a...

Photo

Beauty and destruction

Posted by markdohle , 29 April 2014 · 214 views

Beauty and destruction

I went outside around 4:15 this morning to look at the sky.  It just started to rain, a very light drizzle, but I could hear some thunder in the background.  It sounded far away.  Then some lightening flashes, one was tiered three up, beautiful and scary.  It took the...

Photo

Our inner drama

Posted by markdohle , 28 April 2014 · 218 views

Our inner drama

It is self-awareness, the ability to step back and simply observe our inner drama, that is often projected on to the movie screen, or played out in art, and books, that can give the key to dealing with the inner chaos and not allowing the ‘self’ to be swallowed up and cut off from the ‘outer’ world.  Since we are...

Photo

What if St. Thomas did not see and touch the Risen Lord?

Posted by markdohle , 27 April 2014 · 204 views

What if St. Thomas did not see and touch the Risen Lord?

St. Thomas would not believe the 10 apostles when they said that they saw the risen Lord.  He demanded proof.  He did not trust the word of his fellow disciples of Jesus.   What if Jesus did not come and appear to him?  Would be right?  Did the apostles see the Risen Lord, or would...

Photo

Mercy Sunday (2014)

Posted by markdohle , 26 April 2014 · 243 views

file:///C:\Users\BR6594~1.MAR\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.jpg

Mercy Sunday (2014)

If there is a bottom line to “Divine Mercy Sunday”, it is about relationships, how we live out our faith with others.  This applies to how we relate to ourselves, as well as...

Photo

What is Mercy?

Posted by markdohle , 25 April 2014 · 199 views

What is mercy?

Mercy for others can often be difficult to understand, in particular when it comes to heinous crimes.  The abuse of children comes to mind, especially when it is sexual in nature.  There is much in this world that cries out for justice and this desire is the strongest when a loved one is wronged, hurt,...