Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past hour
  2. ChrLzs We all have our biases. If Laplace was right, then we all ought to have our biases. Bias, or the assessment of prior plausibility, is integral to the 'Bayesian' approaches to evaluating evidence which Laplace pioneered. One of my biases is that if I read something ambiguous, then I will 'bend over backwards' to pursue an interpretation that is coherent and meaningful. So, indeed, what could a word like inclusive mean in science? Personnel? There are underrepresented groups in the ranks of scientists and especially in particular branches of science. That is a fact, and that interpretation would be coherent, but it doesn't seem to be where this author is headed. Amateur vs. Professional? (as in your remarks about the Average family, and Sheldrake's term 'inexpensive.') That's coherent, too. Lots of people enjoy stargazing with their backyard telescopes, for example. I think that interpretation is getting warmer - an amateur spots some interesting phenomenon (her dog knows in advance when she's arriving home), and teams up with a formally trained scientist (like Sheldrake or Bem) to explore the phenomenon. I am also open to another interpretation: receiver operating characteristic (ROC). That's a formal model of a hard fact: there's always a trade-off to be made between the two fundamental kinds of error in uncertain inferences: - "detecting" something that isn't really there (false alarm) - missing something that really is there (failed alarm) Sheldrake's inclusive may mean changing the trade-off that (reputedly) prevails in science, that science is exceptionally "skeptic-friendly," that it is far more concerned with avoiding the false alarm than avoiding the failed alarm. In the skeptical imagination (a borderline oxymoron ), science is like the memorable Mikey, who won't like anything, because he hates everything.
  3. The way I have seen it is you only have beaten yourself. You just seem very robotic in your conversations so you just remind me of a bot. It seems you are run by some type of program which you can't veer from. So that's why I think of you as a bot.
  4. Actually, it does snow in the Middle East http://www.timesofisrael.com/worst-storm-in-decades-continues-in-jerusalem/ Though, of course, the story was largely invented in Medieval Europe and has no reflection at all on any events that may or may not have happened in reality.
  5. Former Blink-182 member Tom DeLonge hints Pentagon UFO disclosure is only the beginning: 'There's a lot more s--t coming' http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tom-delonge-hints-pentagon-ufo-disclosure-beginning-article-1.3705817
  6. Perhaps it might be time to consider the effectiveness of NATO, much like those other sacrosanct multinational institutions the EU and UN, and whether it does in fact deliver value for money or whether in fact it has any use at all since its major constituent, the US of A, does whatever the hell it damn well likes and its NATO "partners" have the choice of going along with it or, er, being tonally ignored and treated with disdain by Washington. This "all for one and one for all" business might be all well and good, but if Washington, as it dearly wants, was to rope in places like Montenegro and Georgia and, God help us, Ukraine, then NATO members would in theory have to be ready to go to the aid of those places in whatever little territorial squabbles Washington may be able to engineer with the current Big Bogey, Big Bad Vlad.
  7. I thought once you crossed the goal line it didn't matter if you fumbled? Did the Steelers get robbed on a controversial non-catch call? It seemed like the Pittsburgh Steelers won and tight end Jesse James would be the hero with a game-winning touchdown catch in the final minute against the New England Patriots. But if you’ve watched the NFL long enough, you know that a catch is often not a catch. The NFL’s oft-criticized catch rule might determine where the AFC championship game is held. In the final seconds of a thrilling game Sunday, James caught a pass just short of the goal line, and as he was going down he crossed the goal line for what looked like a touchdown. Read more: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steelers-get-robbed-controversial-non-catch-call-003343632.html
  8. to be fair that is not one case I looked at in any depth. Phoenix lights is one that definitely had plenty of in depth discussions....... The problem is that people cannot even get the basic first step right of it being two separate incidents.....or at very least should be treated in that way. There are even suggestions we could look at separating it into three incidents. There were even emails dug up relating to Mitch....as I said lost of in depth discussions, but once reading them you will be left being less conclusive about your conclusion than you were prior to reading.... my head hurts just thinking about it!
  9. What are you guys having for Christmas? I'm putting our menu together in addition to the traditional sauce, meatballs, sausage and pasta.
  10. I think you'll find your wrong. I stick with the same line of thinking as Rear Admiral Lane Nott. All you have to do BRD is explain how members are going to be able to contribute both financially and in assets to NATO and at the same time build, maintain and increase assets to meet the new demand of PESCO. Brussels wants a common foreign policy, with all the machinery to run it. PESCO/EUMU is that machinery. Some posters have stated PESCO is to rival or emulate NATO. so a duplicate organisation. and so duplicate financial/defence spending. consider this 18 members of NATO who are also EU members don't meet the minimum 2% of GDP on Defence spending. These countries have a decision to make do they up defence spending or do they choose between NATO or PESCO/EUMU. remember the later EU members are treaty bound to enact EU foreign policy. food for thought. PESCO/EUMU will eventually see the end of NATO in its current form.
  11. The rarely seen Mrs Mork is a dab hand int kitchen onnit. Thee be stuffed good after tackling the festive grub lad. Just abit worried abowt the cleaner. See, she`ll defo start singin Tom Jones songs once shes been on the babyshams!
  12. I got a PM from our friend Bama13 to post this. "Well I easily disposed of that POSER ExpandMyMind without even updating my team.
  13. OK try this, with any famous ufo or alien case....try first to google its debunk, ie: "Betty and Barney debunked".....or "Betty and Barney Hill...criticisms"...that way you wont have to read endless threads here looking for answers....google will take you right to the key info for example, by reading just ONE page at wiki we see that
  14. Manfred von Dreidecker

"Crystal Palace footballer Jason Puncheon charged with assault after street fight". 

:hmm: 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  15. Just as an dditional fun-fact. The brightlz coloured panther is breathing out technicolor smoke because several Medieval Bestiaries claimed that the breath of the panther smelled extremely sweet and pleasant. It would just sit somewhere, open it's mouth and let it's sweet smelling breath drift on the wind. Nearby animals (and people) would be attracted to the smell and gather around the panther. The panther would then abruptly close it's mouth and grab and cunsome the nearest tasty looking animal, with the others fleeing. It being Medieval times they of course interpreted it as an allegory for Satan deceiving the people of the world with false promises and pleasure only to destroy them. Because back then people thought God had created nature just as a giant live Public Service Anouncement for the benefit of humanity.
  16. Up next on Tuesday the Boca Raton Bowl with my Alma Mater FAU taking on Akron. One-stop guide to all 41 bowl games http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21747907/ultimate-bowl-guide-all-41-games
  17. Beware! Beware! The glowing dust orb of doom!
  18. Works for self
  19. Maybe Maxwell Smart's "Cone of Silence" ....lol
  20. You can't trust personal experience either. Especially in the spiritual context, due to the possibility of it being nothing more than a fabricated experience(it is). Strange. I think you should listen to your own subconscious. The more I listen to mine the better things have been. Just we wary of certain trains of thought that might crop up. You'll need to figure those out on your own.
  21. Today
  22. Definition of Fantasy 1.imagination, especially when extravagant and unrestrained. 2.the forming of mental images, especially wondrous or strange fancies;imaginative conceptualizing. 3.a mental image, especially when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy. 4.Psychology. an imagined or conjured up sequence fulfilling apsychological need; daydream. 5.a hallucination. 6.a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar fantasies.
  23. Some recent work on vitrified forts in Scotland, and a late 1980s paper.
  24. I tried to do this with the Betty and Barney hill incident, but it was literally pages and pages of off-topic posts, jokes and personal attacks. That's great! I am sitting on the fence also as to what they are. I'm even up for the hallucination hypothesis.
  25. It’s a blob. a blob that the fighter crew could keep pace with. A blob that is hot but appears to have a colder field around it. A blob that, as far as the recorded image showed, could rotate inflight. my question rests on that final change - could rotating the camera lens produce a similar effect?
  26. Fila, may I suggest you search for some in depth threads with detailed discussions/debates on Phoenix and a host of other famous cases. I assure you we have been over them in great detail.....I fought the side of 'believers' but could not make a case for ET, at times I felt I was able to cast some doubt over the accepted debunks but certainly could not go any further than that. In summary the best I could do was go from explained to unknown...
  27. decides its time to pick up the subject again......5 threads in and I quickly remember why I needed a break. goes back into the shadows in the hope something new is posted that can help. Not one case I have looked at can prove ET. Many cases that are claimed to be debunked are not debunked if investigated in detail. where does that leave us.....confused as ever with lots of unknowns.
  1. Load more activity