Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oklahoma Cryptids

jedi_yarael_poof

I'm curious if anyone knows of any cryptids in oklahoma, since I live here. I'm having a hard time on google. I've heard of two: Bigfoot and Goatman. I know there must be others that may have relations with Native American legend/mythology/history, but I don't know of any recent sightings. Anyone know of anything?

• Like 1

There are some related to Native American Folklore.

Good luck buddy! =p

I used to live in Altus, near Lawton. Nothing. Absolutely nothing paranormal ever happened and I lived there for 6 freakin years. <_<

Only in 2005 when I was watching a show on National Geographic did I hear of Bigfoot sightings in Oklahoma. Fraid I forgot where they said the sightings were. It was a shocker.

The towns near the more forested and wild parts might have some local legends. Have you asked anyone you know? Maybe an old person who has lived there awhile if they have heard of something?

Been here 19 years, never seen anything weird, well scratch that, I saw a duck eat a snake once that's about it. Heard of sightings of a couple ufos. As for Bigfoot, sounds like he's down in south east OK in the mountains around Talahina. But supposedly, there's more spread around the state, but not anywhere around where I live. Wikipedia said Goatman was sighted in Ok. Supposed to be some Crybaby Bridges around to state and a haunted hill near ochelata and a few haunted places spread around. But that's all I know...never seen any of it, except the duck. Maybe there ain't really much that happens here.

Southeast Oklahoma has a ton of Bigfoot activity. I've seen tons of shows and whatnot of expeditions down there. If you're familiar with the BFRO people, they've taken a huge interest in the area, towards the end of this year they're doing an expedition that anyone can go on for a hefty sum of money haha.

BFRO Link

Lived in Oklahoma all my life. Ozark Howlers supposed to live up near the Mountains somewhere. I think I've caught sight of it once or twice. Supposed to look somewhat like a bobcat, or lynx, but, there are several things different about it. Some say its supposed to have two horns on its head, and its completely black. Its called the Ozark Howler, because it lives on the Ozark, and it lets out this screeching howl, that sounds like a scream or something. ^^

My husband is Cherokee and has told me stories of things that he calls 'skellies' or something like that. They are about 3 feet tall, human shaped but covered in fur from head to toe. They are supposed to be a bad omen if seen and bring bad luck. He claims to have been chased by one once when he was a teenager. I've never seen one but they are a very common legend in my area (eastern Oklahoma).

I've read in the newspapers of bigfoot sightings, and I found a reference in a book about strange occurrences in Oklahoma to some sightings of a sort of deer-like Canid.

:cat:

Yeah, mabey one of the many tribes there have Windego stories or ect.

I've heard a few stories about bigfoot and alot of ghost stories from relatives that live there but have any of you heard about a cult of devil worshipers that live at a place called Tator Hill by Madill/Lake Murray. I heard they caught a couple of hitchhikers one time and only one of them got away.

I've read in the newspapers of bigfoot sightings, and I found a reference in a book about strange occurrences in Oklahoma to some sightings of a sort of deer-like Canid.

Deer like Canid you say? I've seen pictures of what are supposed to be 'dead' baby Ozark Howler's, that look like small deer... The Ozark Howler looks like a dog and a cat, so, yes, it might be that.

I've lived in Eastern Oklahoma my whole life and have never heard of these Ozark Howlers or skellies. And I'm part Cherokee, you'd think this would have been brought to my attention.

I have heard a lot of bigfoot stories from down Southeast. Goatman here is news to me.

Deer like Canid you say? I've seen pictures of what are supposed to be 'dead' baby Ozark Howler's, that look like small deer... The Ozark Howler looks like a dog and a cat, so, yes, it might be that.

The "wolf/deer" was only mentioned in two sightings (in the book at least), and was not related to the Howler. I think it was brown or reddish in color. It's probably not a real cryptid for being very obscure and poorly documented, but it is interesting. I don't think the Ozark Howler is a cryptid either, from what I've read up on it I think it's probably a local folkloric creature based on the cougar.

I've heard of a few weredeer stories, though none from Oklahoma.

The "wolf/deer" was only mentioned in two sightings (in the book at least), and was not related to the Howler. I think it was brown or reddish in color. It's probably not a real cryptid for being very obscure and poorly documented, but it is interesting. I don't think the Ozark Howler is a cryptid either, from what I've read up on it I think it's probably a local folkloric creature based on the cougar.

Yes. People have been saying that. Though, sightings do occasionally pop up. I've seen it a few times myself. Though, the Howler, doesn't look anything like a cougar. More like a Bobcat or Lynx, which, I think you might find, if I remember correctly, don't live anywhere near this area. Rather, they live up farther north. Cougar, do, however, live in this area.

Yes. People have been saying that. Though, sightings do occasionally pop up. I've seen it a few times myself. Though, the Howler, doesn't look anything like a cougar. More like a Bobcat or Lynx, which, I think you might find, if I remember correctly, don't live anywhere near this area. Rather, they live up farther north. Cougar, do, however, live in this area.

I think that the bobcat's range includes much of the Ozark region. A large bobcat, melanistic (black) or seen briefly in low light conditions could be misinterpreted as a very large black panther like animal.

Also, as far as cougars are concerned, I think it is very common for legends or mythology to be drawn from what people are most familiar with. Many folkloric creatures are a construction of features of local wildlife and things added to make them scarier or more interesting. In the Howler's case, this may be a combination of traits from the cougar (large cat, terrifying scream very unique and characteristic of the species) and things that got added on over time (glowing red eyes not found in any cat species, scary black color and horns, ect.).

The Howler definately sounds like something out of folklore to me. Simply because there's no good reason for a creature like that to exist.

Im from Idabel, and there are quite a few tails of bigfoot in this area. A guy by the name of Skippy Smith was out hunting and happened upon one on two different occasions. Also, my college professor was talking about a friend that works for the forestry department who spends his spare time tracking them.

In the Smithville area there was a couple who shot at one that came up on their porch and the FBI came out and took blood and hair samples. Havent heard how the sample turned out. The couple moved immediately after the incident.

There are also numerous hauntings in the area such as Wheelock Church that has reports of children haunting the place.

A hill going toward Dequeen, Arkansas is supposed to have some type of force that you can put your car in neutral and it will roll "UP" the hill. Never tried it though.

A hill going toward Dequeen, Arkansas is supposed to have some type of force that you can put your car in neutral and it will roll "UP" the hill. Never tried it though.

I've heard of the same thing, but in Ochelata (sp?) once (not sure how credible the story is). Supposedly some guys were strung up there and push your car up a hill. Hmph, I guess the story itn't true, unless some other ghosts think it's fun too.

Anybody ever hear of the "Deer Woman?"

Yes I've heard of that one too. Also supposedly a bad omen if you run into her in the backwoods of eastern Oklahoma.

• 3 years later...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A hill going toward Dequeen, Arkansas is supposed to have some type of force that you can put your car in neutral and it will roll "UP" the hill. Never tried it though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've heard of the same thing, but in Ochelata (sp?) once (not sure how credible the story is). Supposedly some guys were strung up there and push your car up a hill. Hmph, I guess the story itn't true, unless some other ghosts think it's fun too.

To be more accurate the road is between Bartlesville and Ochelata. it's known as Gap Road. The hill you're talking about is Gravity Hill. As local legend has it during the race riots of the mid 20's there where a group of men hung up along the Hill as a display. (extremely racist. But hey it's Oklahoma.)I've personally been up and down Gap road and all of it's hills in both daylight and Night. I've tested every method including peppering my cars trunk with flour to catch the ghostly prints. Did I succeed? No. but I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility that the story isn't true. As for other strange things in north east Oklahoma. We have quite a few bigfoot sightings in the Osage National Park. There have been reports of Catman. A local Half man half cat. (unlikely. probably some hicks drunken drug induced hallucination.) There are a ton of ghost stories including a Ghost Train and a Female Ghost on Old Highway 66.

There is also a haunted Steel Mill said to be in Dewey. My friends and I have actually checked into that and we heard strange things like children playing. to be honest I never heard it my self but my friend is adamant about it. One personal experience I had one night as I was driving eastbound on Highway 60 connecting Bartlesville and Pawhuska. I saw an extremely large creature hunched over something in one of the Northern fields.It was covered in hair. Had long arms and muscular legs. It's head kinda looked like a Coyote. It looked like it was crouching in a three point stance. I slowed down to get a better look at it and it started running right at my car.I freaked out I floored the gas petal and drove away. I then looked in the rear view mirror and saw it leap across the highway and continue chase after my car. All I can say is I'll never drive down Highway 60 alone at night again.

I'm in northeastern Oklahoma, and there are actually Bigfoot hunters that eat at a restaurant in Green Country here early in the morning, then head out on their expedition, at least a couple times a year, supposedly the area between Claremore and Vinita have had such sightings (triangle UFOs too), including one that allegedly turned cars over in the parking lot of a bingo game in the 80's (my mom was a bingo caller), there are also supposedly bears, cougars, white wolves, panthers, mountain lions and a colony of monkeys living in a copse of trees somewhere around here, as well as your typical giant black dog that runs alongside your car on the open highway and jumps fences; there is the Winganon Swamp Monster, that supposedly breaks the tops of and tears fence posts out of the ground, and actual police officers reported what they call "orcs" in the Chelsea cemetery, about three feet tall, dark figures that move around among the tombstones - supposedly the police won't go into the place alone on foot without two or more people, or being in their car. Phantom hitchhiker, couple of spooklights and an attached bit of land of all albino animals, an invisible giant with thundering footsteps that knocks over saplings and small trees from its passing, at least two independent reports of bipedal werewolves, including a man that shot one with a rifle and drove it out of his barn, giant owls, apparently the Oklahoma Octopus, Lizardman (hangs out in a cemetery near Stillwater).

Now if you want my GRAMMA's stories of what she claims she's seen or encountered - well, there are aliens, little red men with pitchforks, a bipedal armadillo man that can change its size, flying opossums, shadow people, shadow spiders that creep up and down walls like shadows, but they're alive, super spiders that are immune to crushing and fire, invisible fleas, door-opening ghosts, phantom guests that somehow just come into your house and basically make themselves at home and visit and eat and relax, robotic dogs, a friend of mine who "can turn into other people", and best of all, a man that lives in a house, but that is not actually a normal man, but is made up of smaller men in the shape of a man, that kidnaps little girls.

I'm in northeastern Oklahoma, and there are actually Bigfoot hunters that eat at a restaurant in Green Country here early in the morning, then head out on their expedition, at least a couple times a year, supposedly the area between Claremore and Vinita have had such sightings (triangle UFOs too), including one that allegedly turned cars over in the parking lot of a bingo game in the 80's (my mom was a bingo caller), there are also supposedly bears, cougars, white wolves, panthers, mountain lions and a colony of monkeys living in a copse of trees somewhere around here, as well as your typical giant black dog that runs alongside your car on the open highway and jumps fences; there is the Winganon Swamp Monster, that supposedly breaks the tops of and tears fence posts out of the ground, and actual police officers reported what they call "orcs" in the Chelsea cemetery, about three feet tall, dark figures that move around among the tombstones - supposedly the police won't go into the place alone on foot without two or more people, or being in their car. Phantom hitchhiker, couple of spooklights and an attached bit of land of all albino animals, an invisible giant with thundering footsteps that knocks over saplings and small trees from its passing, at least two independent reports of bipedal werewolves, including a man that shot one with a rifle and drove it out of his barn, giant owls, apparently the Oklahoma Octopus, Lizardman (hangs out in a cemetery near Stillwater).

Now if you want my GRAMMA's stories of what she claims she's seen or encountered - well, there are aliens, little red men with pitchforks, a bipedal armadillo man that can change its size, flying opossums, shadow people, shadow spiders that creep up and down walls like shadows, but they're alive, super spiders that are immune to crushing and fire, invisible fleas, door-opening ghosts, phantom guests that somehow just come into your house and basically make themselves at home and visit and eat and relax, robotic dogs, a friend of mine who "can turn into other people", and best of all, a man that lives in a house, but that is not actually a normal man, but is made up of smaller men in the shape of a man, that kidnaps little girls.

Sounds like a pretty good roundup of mountain stories, actually, though the armadillo man and the robotic dogs are new on me.

I've read a few things on the internet about the Oklahoma octopuss.

Did you read that the lake it's reputed to inhabit is completely manmade, less than fifty years old, and that the lake has no real connections to other bodies of water to allow anything in? 'cus for some reason, man-eating octopus supporters always forget to put those in the story. :P

Edited by Drago