Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Street Light Interference Syndrome

Caesar

"Have you ever noticed that whenever a certain person is near electronic devices, that they seem to go out or malfunction? Or perhaps you have this problem with electronics yourself. Even streetlights seem to go out whenever a certain person is around them, especially when they’re giving off a lot of psychic energy. Why?

This phenomenon is called street light interference — SLI. Street lights, televisions, computers, cell phones, watches, etc. seem to have problems whenever a SLIder is near. Allegedly, this is some type of electromagnetic disturbance that their subconscious gives off. Those who have this ability seem to be unable to control it. They’re not like Carrie White, who can telepathically destroy everything in her path. No, street light interference and electro-interference appear to be triggered subconsciously by certain individuals."

Source and full article

Any members here have SLIders or know anyone else that does?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• DrunkDwarf

• digitalartist

• oldvanman

Street lights are designed to turn themselves off for brief intervals if the bulb becomes too warm.

I think this makes more sense when you find out how the light in most street lights work. An electromagnetic lever and light sensitive material. Then that over time the street lights may become worn, or more sensitive to interference.

This is the first time I hear about this. Mind you, I myself am a person that gives off static electricity quite easely. I keep zapping on anything that's metal, sometimes even laptops. I know this is due to us having carpet in our office and my long hair is most likely not helping either. Methinks static discharges could be the cullprit here.

My mother has always told me that she has had this effect on street lights from childhood. When she would walk underneath them in times of high emotion/stress, the lights would blink out as she passed below them. Ive never been able to witness this effect first-hand however.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

I have a friend who has real bad luck with electronic equipment, we joke about it when playing games over my LAN, but I am not so sure it really is him that is the problem. So many people in cities have wireless devices, modems, phones, walkie talkies even baby monitors it doesnt suprise me that equipment malfunctions from time to time.

The atmosphere is so flooded with multi spectral activity, this phenomonen is much more likely to be a coincidental effect, with the frequency of coincidences increasing tenfold as more and more things go wireless.

I have a friend who has real bad luck with electronic equipment, we joke about it when playing games over my LAN, but I am not so sure it really is him that is the problem. So many people in cities have wireless devices, modems, phones, walkie talkies even baby monitors it doesnt suprise me that equipment malfunctions from time to time.

The atmosphere is so flooded with multi spectral activity, this phenomonen is much more likely to be a coincidental effect, with the frequency of coincidences increasing tenfold as more and more things go wireless.

This is true but one to many impecable timing scenarios kind of makes you think? Especially driving down the highway and 3 or 4 of them turn off all in a row as your car passes. Kind of freaks you out. And those lights are designed to "cool down" every other light. Not more than one in a row.

I do not accept "this phenomenon" as legitimate, as at the very least, it is simply taking a chunk of one of a larger phenomenon's symptoms, and making it its own subject. If anything at all, if people really interfere with electromagnetic fields... then... doesn't it make sense it would be "EM Interference - EMI"? I believe this is the equivalent of calling a typical epileptic episode "Continuous Spontaneous Left Index Finger Movement Syndrome - CSLIFMS" - this interpretation is equally as valid as this internet fed SLI abomination.

However, at least internet-wise, I am outvoted, as depending on how you arrange the words "street", "light" and "interference" result in either 358,000, 134,000, 432, 269,000 or even Street Light Interference Syndrome, which has 13,200 hits in Google.

Edited by Paranormalcy

However, at least internet-wise, I am outvoted, as depending on how you arrange the words "street", "light" and "interference" result in either 358,000, 134,000, 432, 269,000 or even Street Light Interference Syndrome, which has 13,200 hits in Google.

I think more people call it "Street Lamp Interference". it makes sense that more people would notice a light going out, rather then it staying on.

I do not accept "this phenomenon" as legitimate, as at the very least, it is simply taking a chunk of one of a larger phenomenon's symptoms, and making it its own subject. If anything at all, if people really interfere with electromagnetic fields... then... doesn't it make sense it would be "EM Interference - EMI"? I believe this is the equivalent of calling a typical epileptic episode "Continuous Spontaneous Left Index Finger Movement Syndrome - CSLIFMS" - this interpretation is equally as valid as this internet fed SLI abomination.

My mother told me about her interference with street lights specifically well before she ever visited the internet.

I think it is a specific subset of phenomena as people seem to notice the street light interference more easily, quite often without causing any strange effects with other electronic components.

It could be that Street Lights are just more sensitive in general, either to very slight "psychic" or "electromagnetic" ability, or more likely to vibration through the ground due to heavier stomping when in a highly emotional state.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

I am highly skeptical of this. I've known a few people who claimed that streetlights would act erratically when they got near them, turning off, flickering, etc., but not one has ever been able to affect a streetlight while I was watching. It's also difficult to gauge this sort of thing because street lights tend to flicker and turn on and off anyway.

I watched one of those cheesy TV shows not that long ago that present a few baffling cases and then you're meant to decide if they were real or not, and there was one on this phenomena. That guy could not make it happen for the cameras either.

I honestly believe that people who think that they can interfere with street lights are really only taking notice of the coincedental flickering/turning off of a street light when they are near it and not the other times when nothing happens.

There are cases of people getting ill from electromagnetic radiation so some people are more sensitive than others. As for the other way round I'm not sure... A friend of mine once demonstrated he could make a street light blink while walking under it. Funny it only worked on one street light ^_^

A friend of mine jokes and says that when I'm in her car the lights tend to go out a lot more. Though, I partially think she's being serious- because they did tend to go out frequently. For a few months I had serious static shock, and would have to touch my car's roof when getting out to pump gas because I would generate a shock while sitting in my car.

I'd also somehow generate one while in my room that has wood flooring and no carpet. I hadn't really thought about it until now, but strange nonetheless.

I don't believe there's really a phenomenon though. They tested a man for the EMFs and what not on one of those old SciFi channel shows- and found that he was no different than anyone else. I believe they also showed that not all the lights when out when he walked under or near them.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a perfect example of a thinking trap IMO.

Now, I'm sitting next to a window, and from it i can see around 8 streetlights, one of these doesn't work. Infact, when walking at night, it's rare not to come across atleast one broken streetlight.

So it stands to reason that street lights brake often.

I can also say with certainty, that people often walk underneath said streetlights.

So the chances of these happening together are more likely than they appear. I mean, it's happened to me several times and at the time, it seems miraculous. But when actualy put into perspective. It not all that unlikely that the thing just happened to brake whilst you were near to it.

:hmm:

• 4 months later...

G'day

I seem to knock out street lights when I drive past them at night. It happens fairly regularly, like 2 or 3 times a night, but only if I am not thinking about it. If I consciously think about the street lights then none will fail.

It has been happening to me for many years and I thought it was a commonplace random event due to unreliable lighting systems, until recently a friend was traveling with me and commented about the number of lights that failed as we drove past them.

It doesn't matter what sort of vehicle I am driving or what town I am in. It usually happens on corners but can happen at any time.

Last year I even had a large halogen flood light in a machinery yard fail as I went past.

Recently I backed out of my daughter's driveway and as I stopped under the streetlight, it went out. My grandson who was with me said he had never seen it go out before so I don't consider it was a faulty unit, or near the end of its working life.

On New Years Eve I was driving home from a job and a light failed as I drove past. There were a group of New Year revelers standing under it and I noticed them get animated as if they were surprised. My thoughts were that they should get used to it.

I have found that if I regularly meditate, it stops happening. When I don't meditate for a couple of weeks it starts happening again.

I am an electronics technician and I understand how lighting systems work, including mercury vapour street lights. I am at a loss to rationally explain what is going on. I don’t seem to adversely affect any other electrical or electronic items. I know about reliability issues as the lights age, however I have had lights fail on new roadways. If it is a random event then why is it that as I drive along a lighted street, I can see many street lights, but they only go out as I drive past them? Surely if it is a random event I would regularly see street lights going out that are not in close proximity to me. I have seen lights that go off and on and are obviously faulty; however this is a rare event.

Regards

Chris

I had a friend who was convinced he had the same effect on street lights. So we were walking along and as we passed a light it went out. He said see, and I replied lets try an experiment. We walked about half a block and waited an watched. In about 10 minutes the light went out again with no person or vehicle near it. Can I say that it's not a real phenomena? No I can't however I do believe that sometimes coincidence can convince us that there is something there that isn't.

Why is it that people who have this ability can write emails without the computer turning off or getting zapped? The cars also seem to be safe. If this is real then we need to focus on the light bulb, why is it so sensitive and can we use a similar design to detect other things unseen?

this happens to me sometimes but i think alot of people have had this happen to them walkin down the street and the light up ahead flickers and your like "did i do that" but most of the time its the same light everytime and its just a bad bulb or wiring problem, for awhile when i was young and would touch the radio attenna and it would get a better signal i would think i had some special power...things are lame when you get older

My brother jokes that I kill technology whenever I use it, I'm a jinx.

Given that I managed to break a brand new digital projector at work year before last could be evidence for that...