Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombieland

Corp

Bit surprised there's not a thread already...

Anyway normally I have no interest in zombie movies, or horror films in general, but after hearing good things I went and saw Zombieland last night. Loved it. Funniest movie I've seen all year. Woody Harrison is amazing and should be considered the number one zombie killer in movies. It was also nice to see people being smart in a zombie movie and learning from their mistakes...though the girls were rather stupid. Also like how they did the opening credits and how the 'rules' would pop up every now and then. However the very best part is the cameo in the middle of the film. Pure gold. Also if you do go see it stay after the credits. Don't make my mistake :(

So big thumbs up on this. Even if you don't really like zombie films (there is the standard gore) you should see this movie.

Bill Murray!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wookietim

• _Only

• kreestar

• Corp

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite liked it. The plot feels more like 2 or three episodes of a TV show strung together than an actual coherent movie plot (Which makes sense since it was originally intended as a TV show)... But it's a really good TV show, so that's okay. "Shaun of the Dead" it isn't - "Shaun" had a coherent plot and was able to use that coherency to enrich it's jokes. "Zombieland" has a tendency to tell a joke and then move on... But then again, those jokes are good, so one doesn't really need to worry too much on that score.

If one doesn't like Woody Harrelson, they won't suddenly start liking him after seeing this movie... He plays the same exact character he always plays ("Redneck with a heart of gold" - which has become just as cliche as "Hooker with a Heart of Gold"), but Micheal Cera is a nice balance to that character.

The situations are fun - the last time I saw a zombie movie throw this many different ideas at the screen in one movie was "Dead and Breakfast" (Which, unfortunately, was a bad movie as opposed to Zombielands goodness)... Interestingly, that movie also starred a "Arrested Development" Alumnus - I wonder if we can now expect Jeffery Tambor to show up as a zombie killing machine?

Overall a very good little movie. Not quite a classic, but it misses that level by a hairs breadth.

I quite liked it. The plot feels more like 2 or three episodes of a TV show strung together than an actual coherent movie plot (Which makes sense since it was originally intended as a TV show)

That explains a LOT.

I loved it, **EDIT** and Woody Harrelson re-enacting a scene from Ghostbusters is quite possibly the greatest moment ever captured on celluloid. However, I thought the third act was pretty weak, especially that lame excuse for an "ending".

**Let's not throw in spoilers without warning.**

Edited by aquatus1

Best zombie movie I've seen in awhile, and I've seen them all. Somehow they've taken the same overused story every single zombie movie ever made has used and made it interesting once again. I even allowed the cliche agro streetwise "grrrl" with an attitude pass my viewing banhamma. And a good 1-2 punch when first B.M. shows up out of nowhere, then gets pwned. :w00t: Fried twinkie anyone?

BTW Jesse, yeah the ending was weak, but keep in mind it's a zombie movie. I don't think any zombie movie ever made has been able to wrap it up well by the time the credits roll.

Edited by Jerry Only

If one doesn't like Woody Harrelson, they won't suddenly start liking him after seeing this movie... He plays the same exact character he always plays ("Redneck with a heart of gold" - which has become just as cliche as "Hooker with a Heart of Gold"), but Micheal Cera is a nice balance to that character.

By the way, that wasn't Michael Cera, it was Jesse Eisenberg. You had me scratching my head wondering "how did I not realize that was Michael Cera?", until I did a quick Google image search of "Michael Cera Zombieland", and oddly enough found this pic. At least you're in good company comparing them, heh.

425.eisenberg.cera.lc.032509.jpg

This film is pretty good...saw it friday with a girl...she didn't like it but who care ?? i slept with her anyway...

That explains a LOT.

I loved it, **EDIT** and Woody Harrelson re-enacting a scene from Ghostbusters is quite possibly the greatest moment ever captured on celluloid. However, I thought the third act was pretty weak, especially that lame excuse for an "ending".

**Let's not throw in spoilers without warning.**

I sort of went through the movie thinking "This act would be the pilot episode, this one is the 'Special Guest Star' episode, and this one is the Season finale"...

By the way, that wasn't Michael Cera, it was Jesse Eisenberg. You had me scratching my head wondering "how did I not realize that was Michael Cera?", until I did a quick Google image search of "Michael Cera Zombieland", and oddly enough found this pic. At least you're in good company comparing them, heh.

425.eisenberg.cera.lc.032509.jpg

Wow. If those two are not fodder for a "Separated at birth?" thing, I don't know who is...

I actually didn't find the movie that funny at all and was quite annoyed that it was labeled as better than Shaun of the Dead by one review I read. I though other than Tallahassee (who was over the top but decent), the characters were horribly annoying, especially the boy—Columbus. His character was written exactly like a character that Michael Cera would play; that is why it is so easy to mix them up.

Basically, I was just disappointed. But perhaps my humor is just skewed, because everyone else in the theatre seemed to enjoy it.

However, I do have to say the cameo was funny. And definitely the best part in the movie...

Did anyone else feel let down that we didn't see the zombie in the gas station/supermarket get chopped with the hedge clippers? After the not so subtle homage to Deliverance, I was expecting some carnage.

Edited by kreestar

I actually didn't find the movie that funny at all and was quite annoyed that it was labeled as better than Shaun of the Dead by one review I read. I though other than Tallahassee (who was over the top but decent), the characters were horribly annoying, especially the boy—Columbus. His character was written exactly like a character that Michael Cera would play; that is why it is so easy to mix them up.

Basically, I was just disappointed. But perhaps my humor is just skewed, because everyone else in the theatre seemed to enjoy it.

I do agree with you on that - "Shaun of the Dead" is much better and funnier than "Zombieland". That said, I found Zombieland to be an amusing way to spend 2 hours.

I do agree with you on that - "Shaun of the Dead" is much better and funnier than "Zombieland". That said, I found Zombieland to be an amusing way to spend 2 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I relatively enjoyed the movie and it was probably the best thing out at the theatres when I saw it; I was just expecting more I suppose, that's all.

Don't get me wrong, I relatively enjoyed the movie and it was probably the best thing out at the theatres when I saw it; I was just expecting more I suppose, that's all.

Actually, the best thing in theaters right now is the Micheal Moore movie... But I am smart enough not to go on a internet messageboard and prod that topic no matter what I think!

Actually, the best thing in theaters right now is the Micheal Moore movie... But I am smart enough not to go on a internet messageboard and prod that topic no matter what I think!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that movie. Not sure they are showing it where I live mate.

Edited by kreestar

Shaun Of The Dead is a funny zombie movie. Zombieland is a funny movie that happens to have zombies in it. :tu:

ZOMBIELAND was great!!!!!

i loved it 10/ 10 hilarious , so great, better then "Sean of the dead"

The sequel next year !!

Is this a confirmation or prediction?

I saw this last night... not the kind of movie I'd choose to go see either... but my daughter and boyfriend just had to see it. Ok, I have to admit, I laughed my a** off! And I agree, it played out like a TV series of sorts, it's exactly what I thought when I left the theater... but Harrelson was a riot, and WAY over the top, but funny over the top. The whole thing just worked and it was worth the $10 a ticket for an hour and half of laughs.

Shaun Of The Dead is a funny zombie movie. Zombieland is a funny movie that happens to have zombies in it. :tu:

Actually, "Shaun of the dead" was a romantic comedy that used Zombies as the hurdles to the relationship... Zombieland was sort of like three episodes of a really fun Zombie TV show.

Both were good, I just feel that "Shaun of the dead" made a better movie since it's plot was a little more consistent. "Zombieland" would have (And still would if there are any TV execs reading this messageboard, hint hint nudge nudge) made a great TV show whereas "Shaun" couldn't have worked as a weekly show... That was the main difference.

I hope theres not a sequal, but the talahasse character is used in a different movie...

Also, yes, I enjoyed it a bit more than shaun of the dead only because its a different type of humor..

However, If michale cera was in it I would like it less..

This movie was hilariously awesome. One of the better movie-going experiences I've had in awhile. It had a surprising amount of character development for being only 80 minutes, but then again, there are only 4 characters to care about, and you do really end up caring about them. I thought it got a little slow in the middle, but the ending more than made up for that. Overall, it was consistent enough to where I never got bored.

Shaun of the Dead is still way better.

• 3 years later...

Loved Zombiland! Personally, though my favourite funny zombie movies in order:

Fido

Shaun of the Dead

Zombieland