Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

6 year old talks about end of the world

Amariel

When we try to force the situation into a framework that we're comfortable or familiar with, we end up being the illogical and crazy ones; every bit as bad as your average mainstream "science" professional. We don't know what she's tuned into. We don't know her source. Without that knowledge, to make declarations or judgements about the validity of that source is every bit as irrational as any label we could slap on her. THAT is nuts. Children are notoriously tuned in to things we can't remember being tuned into ourselves. It would be far more logical (indeed, Captain Kirk) to create some kind of foundation for any decisions you're going to make about how valid her source is. It's kind of silly to use our emotions to declare something as real or not real; to make something up and use that as the basis for declaring she's making stuff up. "Show me, don't tell me" would be a good approach. Get some details from her, as short term as possible, and see how things pan out. Don't just stop with one event, but continue doing this ongoing. Who is going to die and when? And how? Who's the first to go? What else happens in the world? This could be your survival: that child. At least, by doing this, you'll have some kind of realistic foundation for deciding whether this is all just in her imagination. Also she could be tuned into some "woo-woo source," but that doesn't mean that source is flawless, just because it's not in physical form. Probe, dig, push, see what's there to be seen in terms that can be recorded and tracked. What's there is there; reality does not adapt itself to our fears.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amariel

• Rosewin

• skya

• HerNibs

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude there is no use for FBI tactics to get to the truth. It could just be fantasy.

Also supporting KennyB. The media always uses scare tactics. It was bread and circus regardless. There were many close calls during the Cold War but none were hyped up in the press. This one was but it was exactly that...hype and saber-rattling.

Edited by Rosewin

It's hard to talk to her about 'the book' - she acts like someone who has been sprung doing something they know they shouldn't and just refuses to say anything else. I've tried asking her in different ways about it, I've asked her if she can show me the book, but she either ignores the question or tells me that I'm not allowed to see it. Dad has basically told the family to just act normal around her (so we don't freak her out, or encourage it) and I'm pretty sure he said he's booked her in to see a counsellor or something in a few weeks.

As a side note, in my opinion 'the book' isn't a physical thing, I think she thinks the information has come from a book.

Actually a very intersting topic.

I'm intersted to see if you get any more info from her. Sounds like a great movie plot too.

PS Start your own Cuba missle crisis thread. The military members that were actually on alert and sitting in idling aircraft (including troops and intel people that spoke Russian) would disagree with the assertion that it was "sabre rattling".

Hi Amariel. I think it's a bad idea to take her to a counselor about it. Who knows if what she is "reading" is true or not, but in any case, I think getting psychologists involved is a bad idea unless you're looking to get her a prescription. I'll say it again, though I suppose it would depend on who you took her to, bad idea!

As far as the content of this mysterious "book" she's reading, it could very well come true, it also might not.

If it was me, I would tell her not to worry, and that someday, each and every one of us will die,(most likely) however sooner or later all depends on fate, and that no matter what, we'll all make it through somehow. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe just take note of it, and then get on with life, and see what happens next.

Edited by skya

Hi Amariel. I think it's a bad idea to take her to a counselor about it. Who knows if what she is "reading" is true or not, but in any case, I think getting psychologists involved is a bad idea unless you're looking to get her a prescription. I'll say it again, though I suppose it would depend on who you took her to, bad idea!

As far as the content of this mysterious "book" she's reading, it could very well come true, it also might not.

If it was me, I would tell her not to worry, and that someday, each and every one of us will die,(most likely) however sooner or later all depends on fate, and that no matter what, we'll all make it through somehow. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe just take note of it, and then get on with life, and see what happens next.

We're not looking to get her a prescription, that's why we're taking her to a psychologist (psychiatrists prescribe medication, psychologists are like counsellors and analyse if there isn't an underlying problem, like nightmares due to stress over exams or something along those lines). Dad just wants to find out if there is any other explanations for her behaviour.

I don't know what it's like in Australia, but as far as the US goes, psychology in current practice = psychiatry. Just be careful who you're sending your sister to with "psychological" concerns. These would be more spiritual in nature? Do you think something is wrong with her? Does she seem to need help dealing with what she's "seen"? Is it affecting her functioning or emotional state?

There's nothing wrong with seeing a counselor, it doesn't mean anything bad, and though it can be scary before the kid goes, as it was for me when I was taken to one, there wasn't a lot to it, some weird questions for reasons I could only guess at, kinda knew what it was about but not what in particular I had done that was wrong or weird, and still don't, but went ahead with everything since it didn't seem threatening.

It really depends on the level of intensity going on with this subject going on - it is hard to tell on the internet if it's a wacky "hey my sister is talking about stuff she read in a book nobody can see lol" or "my sister is seeing things that aren't there, including books which she can read that talk about the end of the world!" One I would laugh off, the other I wouldn't necessarily "worry" about, but I can see if it were significant enough in the stir it causes, I also would probably check with a counselor just to get it resolved, whatever it is - seems prudent.

But it is of course up to the family, the parents, and such so we'll wish them the best whatever they decide and a nice resolution to things.

Whatever dude. The prudence can go either way. What exactly needs to be "resolved"? Fact. Psychology is a science. It is taught as a science. Her words will have no meaning until either it happens or doesn't happen. Until then, she is either "making up stories" or "having psychic vision". If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. Two years doesn't seem like that long to wait.

We're not looking to get her a prescription, that's why we're taking her to a psychologist (psychiatrists prescribe medication, psychologists are like counsellors and analyse if there isn't an underlying problem, like nightmares due to stress over exams or something along those lines). Dad just wants to find out if there is any other explanations for her behaviour.

Children often understand and pick up on things more than we imagine or realise. It might just be her mind trying to deal with concepts and ideas, that re still quite new to her or to foreign for her. Lets face it, the 2012 hype is everywhere in sight, same as the Mexican flu, children are exposed to a myriad of flows of information. Of course as said before, one cannot rule out the intervention of an older kid or an adult.

But in itself, seing a councelor is not a bad idea, they often have ways of getting the child to talk, that we would not think of. Just make sure it is not one of those pill pushers, medication is not the answer to every problem.

Edited by TheSearcher

Whatever dude. The prudence can go either way. What exactly needs to be "resolved"? Fact. Psychology is a science. It is taught as a science. Her words will have no meaning until either it happens or doesn't happen. Until then, she is either "making up stories" or "having psychic vision". If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. Two years doesn't seem like that long to wait.

Two years is a long time for a six year old to be afraid.

Advocating NOT getting professional help is dangerous.

Nibs

Searcher- What is it that you feel she needs to "fess up?" Getting her to talk? She's already said it. Probing for further investigation or information doesn't appear to be necessary. She's six. her language skills probably just aren't that developed. In this situation, I don't see how counseling would be helpful. I mean, if your looking for some kind of behavior modification.. The "restricted section" book thing sounds pretty Harry Potterish. She didn't happen to watch that did she? Even as a toddler, the subconscious mind supposedly picks up on like everything.

And Nibs, do you have children? Is she even afraid? I didn't read the entire thread, but I didn't catch on that she was. The family honestly seems more afraid. I'll just quote one of the Essene Gospel of Peace's books and say "Do not prophecy." And those are supposedly Jesus' words. What can a counselor do for her that her family can't? I'm sure though, they'd be thrilled with their fees.

You take her and you risk altering her self esteem, how she relates to the world and others. I suggest you examine your motives Amariel. For good or bad. We often come with both, but it's up to us to choose carefully when we can.

Searcher- What is it that you feel she needs to "fess up?" Getting her to talk? She's already said it. Probing for further investigation or information doesn't appear to be necessary. She's six. her language skills probably just aren't that developed. In this situation, I don't see how counseling would be helpful. I mean, if your looking for some kind of behavior modification.. The "restricted section" book thing sounds pretty Harry Potterish. She didn't happen to watch that did she? Even as a toddler, the subconscious mind supposedly picks up on like everything.

And Nibs, do you have children? Is she even afraid? I didn't read the entire thread, but I didn't catch on that she was. The family honestly seems more afraid. I'll just quote one of the Essene Gospel of Peace's books and say "Do not prophecy." And those are supposedly Jesus' words. What can a counselor do for her that her family can't? I'm sure though, they'd be thrilled with their fees.

You take her and you risk altering her self esteem, how she relates to the world and others. I suggest you examine your motives Amariel. For good or bad. We often come with both, but it's up to us to choose carefully when we can.

Yes, I have several children. All grown up now. The child is exhibiting fear by not wanting to speak about this any more.

Yeah, families generally don't have professional training. I won't comment on the quotes from your book. Means nothing.

The child is worried about people dying and obviously has come into contact with a strange and scary idea of the world ending. From the OP's posts I would say that the child's behavior has changed as well.

Obviously the child's self esteem has already been "altered" and her perception is changed.

The love of the family is a support system, NOT a solution.

The situation needs to be discussed with a doctor. A counselor would be great.

Young children often become interested and sometimes obsessed with death. If the child exhibits fear and shame then SOMETHING needs to be done.

Nibs

Yes, I have several children. All grown up now. The child is exhibiting fear by not wanting to speak about this any more.

Yeah, families generally don't have professional training. I won't comment on the quotes from your book. Means nothing.

The child is worried about people dying and obviously has come into contact with a strange and scary idea of the world ending. From the OP's posts I would say that the child's behavior has changed as well.

Obviously the child's self esteem has already been "altered" and her perception is changed.

The love of the family is a support system, NOT a solution.

The situation needs to be discussed with a doctor. A counselor would be great.

Young children often become interested and sometimes obsessed with death. If the child exhibits fear and shame then SOMETHING needs to be done.

Nibs

My bad. You having children really doesn't matter and I shouldn't have asked. My apologies.

I don't know if this is an Australian term, but really, I'd just pooh pooh the situation and let it pass. (Of course, I'm not there, and I don't know the whole situation, and though it does seem like it could be a bit frightening, I'd let your little sis take the lead on this one.) And I truly hope whatever happens, it's in accordance to her highest good and may she be carried by God's grace.

Edited by skya

A reluctance on the part of the child does not automatically convey fear on their part. Only their family can know if the child is truly fearful and disturbed, in which case seek help, but it seems like they are already going to seek help so...it seems like a closed matter. It would be nice for updates but it looks like our part is mostly done and what happens next is really none of our business.

Edited by Rosewin

Everyone seems to keep wondering if she is actually scared or fearful, and she really hasn't appeared so, but yes HerNibs her behaviour has changed - she is more withdrawn with both family and at school (based on reports from her teacher). This is the main reason my dad wants to take her to counselling because a sudden change in her behaviour like this we feel is not normal. She was such a bubbly and loud little girl and now she sits alone in her room, not even playing with her toys. And the sudden change occurred over a period of about a week at maximum. Dad just feels it's related to this 'end of the world' stuff because it started happening around the same time. There may be no connection what so ever, but we're hoping a counsellor or psychologist will be able to tell us that.

Everyone seems to keep wondering if she is actually scared or fearful, and she really hasn't appeared so, but yes HerNibs her behaviour has changed - she is more withdrawn with both family and at school (based on reports from her teacher). This is the main reason my dad wants to take her to counselling because a sudden change in her behaviour like this we feel is not normal. She was such a bubbly and loud little girl and now she sits alone in her room, not even playing with her toys. And the sudden change occurred over a period of about a week at maximum. Dad just feels it's related to this 'end of the world' stuff because it started happening around the same time. There may be no connection what so ever, but we're hoping a counsellor or psychologist will be able to tell us that.

:)

It does sound like she's worried and dwelling on it too much. The counselor should help.

You and your dad's job is to make sure she feels loved no matter what. If you and your dad don't seem afraid then that will help her a bunch.

Let us know how she's doing.

Kids hit rough spots but with healthy and loving care they can be fine.

Nibs

"If it was me, I would tell her not to worry, and that someday, each and every one of us will die,(most likely) however sooner or later all depends on fate, and that no matter what, we'll all make it through somehow. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe just take note of it, and then get on with life, and see what happens next."

I just wanted to add that a reassuring hug would probably be a big help to go along with this.

I don't know what it's like in Australia, but as far as the US goes, psychology in current practice = psychiatry. Just be careful who you're sending your sister to with "psychological" concerns. These would be more spiritual in nature? Do you think something is wrong with her? Does she seem to need help dealing with what she's "seen"? Is it affecting her functioning or emotional state?

That's not true.

Psychiatrists are doctors; they have to go to medical school while psychologists do not.

Psychologists cannot prescribe medication.

Anyway Amariel, it may be a good idea to send her, she may be stressing about something and creating some ridiculous fantasy because of it.

Does anyone have any advice or any explanation as to what's going on with her?

Maybe she has a Sister who spends all her time on the Internet looking up stuff like "Unexplained Mysteries" and then proceeds to talk a whole lot about it.

she came into my room and told me she was really scared to tell my dad that the book says that he dies. I asked her what she was talking about and she told me that almost all of the adults will die, and even some of the kids, and that all the people who are left are going to go to America

To me this sounds like a simplified version of the Biblical end of times story, The sinners (adults) being culled, and the innocent being saved.

Feel free to correct me, but don't the Mormons believe that the Garden of Eden lies in Jackson County, Missouri? This might explain the "all the people who are left are going to go to America" bit

I might be very wrong, but it sounds a little to much like an Archetypal religious story for her to have just made it up out of thin air.

Well, I'm not sure if this will help. . .but I have a four year old, and I can say that kids pick up on things even when you don't think they're paying attention. My son comes out with some really strange things sometimes and it'll take me months to figure out that he got it from one of the fifty televisions that was playing in the department store or from a conversation the people in the restaurant were having three booths away. And, for some reason, instead of telling me WHERE he heard things, he'll make up some really elaborate story that I never believed a four year old could come up with. . .but somehow he does it. He'll hear a snippet of a conversation and bring up some version of it that he's added on to months later and then say that his brother from another mom came from down the street and came through his window and told him about it while we were sleeping. And he'll stick to his little stories. . .even when I know who or what the true culprit is.

Children have a way, like I've said, of picking up on little things that people around them are saying or things on TV. Then they'll take it, and, with the help of their huge imaginations, make the story their own. If you're really worried about it, ask her for more details. . but, since she's so little, I wouldn't push it too hard. Children get bored, worn out, and sometimes frightened by too many questions; whether what they're talking about is true or made up. It'll probably take a while for you to figure it out, though. . .I'm still trying to figure out who is responsible for my son coming up to me a while back and asking me if I have sex. NO CLUE where that came from, and he's sticking to his story that bigfoot came and told him all about it while we were staying out in a cabin in the woods. *sigh*

Maybe she has a Sister who spends all her time on the Internet looking up stuff like "Unexplained Mysteries" and then proceeds to talk a whole lot about it.

Excuse me? I'm actually looking for an answer or advice that would help to explain why my sister has started coming out with end of the world stories - I don't actually believe that the world is going to end in 2012 or any time soon. I'm also fairly skeptical of people being psychic and all that - I need hard evidence before I'll believe something. And I'm actually quite insulted that you would assume, without any evidence might I add, that I would talk about 'Unexplained Mysteries' to my 6 year old sister and therefore it is my fault that she is talking about the world ending. She's 6 years old - how stupid and irresponsible would I be to talk to her about these things when they are sure to freak her out? I understand that you are entitled to your own opinion, but seriously, sometimes you should keep your very uninformed and frankly idiotic opinions to yourself.

I'd like to add some thing after reading this thread

I'm worried that going to a counselor at her age will be very hard on her. But after hearing you clarify that she is a lot different now, that she doesn't play with her toys the same way maybe she does need to see someone. Are you and your dad totally sure that nothing else happened in your lives that would change her like this? I mean, the counselor can probably figure out what triggered the behavior, but I'm wondering if maybe a friend of hers had a birthday and it made her feel less special because it wasn't her birthday, or maybe she lost a pet goldfish, or something else besides this doomsday talk that could have thrown her into a slump?

I haven't heard you mention your mom. I don't want to open up another can of worms, but it would make sense that if she lacks a mother figure she would be much more scared to lose you and her dad, since your all the family she has?

I wish I could offer ideas to help get her back to "normal", or at least playing with her toys like she used to. I hope things work out for you! =)

Thats a bit below the belt Walt :no:

The OP is only worried and trying to make sense of whats going on with her kid sister,

I'm sure we aren't the only resource shes using to help the Kid.

so lets try to keep it constructive for her eh! :tu: