Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

may 21,2011 judgment day?

Hot_Mama

Science is an accurate model of reality, it isn't "real" though...these are 2 different things.

For example, when we say that the model of multi-dimensions fits with our current cosmologic model, id doesn't mean

that the universe is multidimensional, it means that in our current model the introduction of dimensions solves problems and applies to our current evidence and data. Science is a code, not reality.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brasuka

• innerverse

• Mattshark

• MsKatsipoulis

*calls someone to repair all the broken desks*

:P

You're refering to my post?

If we have enough guesses we'll get it right eventually.

Science is an accurate model of reality, it isn't "real" though...these are 2 different things.

For example, when we say that the model of multi-dimensions fits with our current cosmologic model, id doesn't mean

that the universe is multidimensional, it means that in our current model the introduction of dimensions solves problems and applies to our current evidence and data. Science is a code, not reality.

No science is a method of study and it is real and produces real results. Observe - Hypothesise - Experiment. It is not reality ,however, but that is a different matter altogether.

Edited by Mattshark

No science is a method of study and it is real and produces real results. Observe - Hypothesise - Experiment. It is not reality ,however, but that is a different matter altogether.

That's what i'm saying. A model of reality.

Stephen Hawking wrote in "The universe in a nutshell":

...Every valid scientific theory, whether it refers to "time" or any other term, should, in my opinion, be based in the most accurate philosophy of science: Logical Positivism, which was introduced by Karl Popper and others. According to this way of thinking, a scientific theory consists of a mathematical model that describes and decodes the observations that we make. A "good" theory will be able to describe a vast array of of phenomena with the use of a few simple proposals and also verify that it's predictions can be measured. If the predictions are confirmed by the observational data, then the theory passes the stage of hypothesis, although it can never be prooved to be completely accurate. On the other hand, whereas the theory fails to predict the observational data, then the theory should be disqualified or altered. (At least that's what is supposed to happen. In reality, the accuracy of observations is usually debated as well as the credibility of those who propose it.) If someone follows Logical Positivism, as i do, then he cannot say what Time really is. He can only describe that which consists a very good mathematical model of time and pinpoint the predictions of this specific model.

Edited by innerverse

No. Why have you broken desks lately? ;)

None that i can think of. ;)

double post

Edited by innerverse

2011, 2012...wow. What's with all the doomsday predictions lately? People have nothing better to do?

this... this is getting a little out of hand now. shouldn't people NOT be wanting the end of the world.........

Why do people constantly poke at it? if anybody here follows a religion (particularly christians), then you should know your god likes to take the mick out of his followers, keep poking and your god WILL smite you all. This 2012 business and 'doomsday' will never cease to infuriate me.