Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My biggest concern over Dec 21 2012

Mace Windu

To make things even more confused there are two different dates being evangelized for this particular "Doomsday" - 12/12/2012 AND 12/21/2012.

Drat! I'm going to have to spend NINE entire days under my bed!

It was definately meant to be just the 21st of December 2012 (The Winter Solstice), the 12th is just something that was spread by the crazies during their scaremongering attempts, the 21st was at least based on something.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emma_Acid

• Harakuro

• TheSearcher

• HerNibs

The one thing that concerns me is going to be all the suicide cults killing themselves. It'll give alot of occultists and smaller religions/practices an even more misconscribed image than there already is. And another problem is where to loot first :w00t: .

I cannot disagree completely with Mace, because it is possible with a Galactic alignment to influence psychology the behavior of some human beings. Added to that the thought of a possible end of the world.

It is possible that the Galactic alignment will have some effect, just as how some people act differently in respect to lunar activities.

But these are just assumption, no one really know what can happen.

I cannot disagree completely with Mace, because it is possible with a Galactic alignment to influence psychology the behavior of some human beings. Added to that the thought of a possible end of the world.

It is possible that the Galactic alignment will have some effect, just as how some people act differently in respect to lunar activities.

But these are just assumption, no one really know what can happen.

there will be no planetary alignment, and probably not any Galactic one. but, if there was some galactic one, how again would this have an influence on human psychology?

there will be no planetary alignment, and probably not any Galactic one. but, if there was some galactic one, how again would this have an influence on human psychology?

Galactic alignment is not planetary, it is solar alignment with the equator of our Milky Way Galaxy.

I had read that the energy of the super-massive black hole in the center of the galaxy travels more strongly in the equator.

I cannot answer how it could influence humans in behavior, however, it is proven that our moon can have effect on human behavior.

All in all it is theory that the same phenomena could happen with an alignment.

But I do not have proof of this, so it's just a 'What if'

Galactic alignment is not planetary, it is solar alignment with the equator of our Milky Way Galaxy.

i know. i said a planetary wont happen, and i dont believe a galactic one will either.

I had read that the energy of the super-massive black hole in the center of the galaxy travels more strongly in the equator.

I cannot answer how it could influence humans in behavior, however, it is proven that our moon can have effect on human behavior.

got a link? im just curious and want to read it.

But I do not have proof of this, so it's just a 'What if'

i just dont think theres anything backing this hypothesis.

Edited by Agent. Mulder

got a link? im just curious and want to read it.

I would have to redo my whole research. I don't have a link with me, as i googled nearly the first 3 pages of google regarding Galactic Alignment.

i just dont think theres anything backing this hypothesis.

There isn't. Like I said, it's a what if situation. I would need to actually need to research this. Although with lack of time due to college and work, i wont be able to before next week.

If you want to look into it, let me know what you find out.

First off, what is this "energy" is this coming off a black hole, and second, the "equator" of what?

No it isn't and no it doesn't, unless you want to point out exactly how the moon's phases affect behaviour....?

Its not a theory. A theory is backed up with evidence.

just noticed the moon thing after emma touched on it.

how and when was it Proven, as in its now a Fact, that the moon effects our behaviour?

i must have missed when this was proven. all we know as fact is the earth moon relation with gravity, thus causing tides on earth (and the moon, but theres no water to see it happen).

just noticed the moon thing after emma touched on it.

how and when was it Proven, as in its now a Fact, that the moon effects our behaviour?

i must have missed when this was proven. all we know as fact is the earth moon relation with gravity, thus causing tides on earth (and the moon, but theres no water to see it happen).

In Respect with the above matter regarding Lunar effects, it was a theory that was proven not applicable by science. Meaning you are correct on that one and I was Wrong. However, notwithstanding what I just said, many occult culture, mostly those who practice Magick, use the moon as energy to preform their spells and ritual. It may not be supported by Science, however, it is shared by many culture that the moon has significance. Now Science and Witchcraft don't agree with each other, thus creates a conflict. Even if science cannot prove it, it may not mean that it doesn't exist.

Science cannot prove the existence of god, yet millions and billions of people believe in a higher being.

As for the Galactic alignment, The Super Massive Black Hole, energy, is basically it's gravitational pull. Which is what keep the whole galaxy in place and makes it in a form of spiral. The Galaxy is orbiting around it. That is a large amount of Energy. It is theory that some astronomer believe that where both points of the galaxy (which is the equator) might hold as a road to deliver the energy of this black hole to the far end of the Galaxy. It is not yet proven no, but it is something being looked at.

I cannot provide you with Evidence, because it is something I have been told, and looked into a few years back online. Unfortunately, I do not remember how I found the link, however, I'm sure if you google enough, you might find it.

Now my opinion and question is, Would it be possible for this energy, to have some sort of effect on us?

If it doesn't, then it doesn't. If it does, then it does. I don't have evidence, I don't have proof, i'm actually just wondering if it is possible? Given the information i have just written.

I cannot provide you with Evidence, because it is something I have been told, and looked into a few years back online. Unfortunately, I do not remember how I found the link, however, I'm sure if you google enough, you might find it.

Isn't that convenient.

In Respect with the above matter regarding Lunar effects, it was a theory that was proven not applicable by science. Meaning you are correct on that one and I was Wrong. However, notwithstanding what I just said, many occult culture, mostly those who practice Magick, use the moon as energy to preform their spells and ritual. It may not be supported by Science, however, it is shared by many culture that the moon has significance. Now Science and Witchcraft don't agree with each other, thus creates a conflict. Even if science cannot prove it, it may not mean that it doesn't exist.

Right, well sentences like "use the moon as energy" don't mean anything, as we don't get "energy" from the moon.

The whole moon's phases "affecting people through gravity" thing is tosh anyway, so I'm glad you didn't fall back on it. The thing people forget is that the moon is the same mass no matter how obscured by the sun it is.

Oh, and you're right, just because science doesn't prove something doesn't make it untrue - but witchcraft and the moon's significance on behaviour have been thoroughly, scientifically, disproven many times over.

Science cannot prove the existence of god, yet millions and billions of people believe in a higher being.

That doesn't mean he exists.

As for the Galactic alignment, The Super Massive Black Hole, energy, is basically it's gravitational pull. Which is what keep the whole galaxy in place and makes it in a form of spiral. The Galaxy is orbiting around it. That is a large amount of Energy. It is theory that some astronomer believe that where both points of the galaxy (which is the equator) might hold as a road to deliver the energy of this black hole to the far end of the Galaxy. It is not yet proven no, but it is something being looked at..

The black holes at the centre of galaxies don't keep the galaxies in place, so this is all pretty meaningless.

Now my opinion and question is, Would it be possible for this energy, to have some sort of effect on us?

No, because it isn't "energy". Energy is the name given to a system's ability to perform work, not some mystical power beam that zaps the earth every now and again.

As for the Galactic alignment, The Super Massive Black Hole, energy, is basically it's gravitational pull. Which is what keep the whole galaxy in place and makes it in a form of spiral. The Galaxy is orbiting around it. That is a large amount of Energy. It is theory that some astronomer believe that where both points of the galaxy (which is the equator) might hold as a road to deliver the energy of this black hole to the far end of the Galaxy. It is not yet proven no, but it is something being looked at.

Well due to the super massive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way the dynamics of the galaxy are often approximated using the Kerr metric which has some dependence on angular inclination (in particular the shape of the ergosphere). However these dependences are either minute or irrelevant (i.e. the ergosphere only places boundaries on possible orbits).

Finally, the Sun is currently somewhere between 16 and 98 light years above the galactic equator, and is not going to align with the equator in the next 3 years (that would require traveling at least 5 times the speed of light directly in the galactic `downward' direction).

science doesnt have to prove it. its the problem that No One has proven it.

and the fact that cultures believe in something lends NO credence to the claim.

i know, its sad. blind faith. but also irrelavent since science doesnt have to prove god, as it doesnt claim it exists in the first place. so that doesnt matter. widely held beliefs arent right.

If it doesn't, then it doesn't. If it does, then it does. I don't have evidence, I don't have proof, i'm actually just wondering if it is possible? Given the information i have just written.

links would help your cause here.

and emman already touched on the black holes part (which also has not been proven, i dont believe. but its almost certain its there, according to the evidence).

About black holes, it bends light, bends space time, absorbs all matter it encounters, I fail to see how a black hole emits anything else than Hawking radiation? Things go into it, not the other way around.

About black holes, it bends light, bends space time, absorbs all matter it encounters, I fail to see how a black hole emits anything else than Hawking radiation? Things go into it, not the other way around.

Well, black holes emit x-rays due to the intense pressure the matter that falls in is subjected to.

Hawking Radiation is still very theoretical, I don't pretend to understand it. Its something to do with preserving an amount of energy once matter falls into the event horizon, for every particle that falls in, one quantum tunnels through the event horizon and escapes as radiation.

The LHC should show this if its true - any tiny black holes made will evaporate immediately, confirming the predictions.

and emman already touched on the black holes part (which also has not been proven, i dont believe. but its almost certain its there, according to the evidence).

This is true, it is still highly theoretical, but there is definitely something very very very heavy and very very small at the centre of our galaxy and many others. Black holes are all that fit the bill.

Well, black holes emit x-rays due to the intense pressure the matter that falls in is subjected to.

Hawking Radiation is still very theoretical, I don't pretend to understand it. Its something to do with preserving an amount of energy once matter falls into the event horizon, for every particle that falls in, one quantum tunnels through the event horizon and escapes as radiation.

Dammit, you're right, I forgot the x-rays emissions. Still does not account for anything like the predicted "energy flow" from the center of the galaxy.

Dammit, you're right, I forgot the x-rays emissions. Still does not account for anything like the predicted "energy flow" from the center of the galaxy.

Well no, because the idea of an "energy flow" is new age nonsense. There is no "energy" that comes out of black holes and zaps planets.

I had a friend who took astronomy and he has explained to me that a black hole also considered to be a "Black Star" with immense gravity. Which the gravity is so powerful that it can suck in light and bend time and space.

Just as a question, since you guys know a lot about black holes. Wouldn't the strong gravity be considered as energy?

Of course it is possible that my friend had missed a part in class and might have passed me that wrong info.

I had a friend who took astronomy and he has explained to me that a black hole also considered to be a "Black Star" with immense gravity. Which the gravity is so powerful that it can suck in light and bend time and space.

Partly true. A black hole is a collapsed star, where the mass of a star gets compressed into a space a couple of miles wide. The resulting gravity pulls a hole into the fabric of space and time. It consists of an Event Horizon, beyond which no matter can return, and a singularity, which is a 1 dimensional point in space of no size but infinite mass and therefore gravity.

Since the space that falls toward the singularity does so faster than the speed of light, no light can escape.

Just as a question, since you guys know a lot about black holes. Wouldn't the strong gravity be considered as energy?

No, or at least not in the way you mean. Gravity is simply the warping of space by mass. A good way to think about it is considering the gravity of the earth. What is happening is that the mass of the earth is distorting the space around it, including you, giving you the impression you are being pushed you down toward its centre.

The word "energy" is massively misused, thanks to sci fi films (featuring energy beams and weapons) and New Age nonsense, when people talk about getting "energy" from crystals etc.

"Energy" is simply the ability of a system or force to perform mechanical work.

Edited by Emma_Acid

Partly true. A black hole is a collapsed star, where the mass of a star gets compressed into a space a couple of miles wide. The resulting gravity pulls a hole into the fabric of space and time. It consists of an Event Horizon, beyond which no matter can return, and a singularity, which is a 1 dimensional point in space of no size but infinite mass and therefore gravity.

Since the space that falls toward the singularity does so faster than the speed of light, no light can escape.

No, or at least not in the way you mean. Gravity is simply the warping of space by mass. A good way to think about it is considering the gravity of the earth. What is happening is that the mass of the earth is distorting the space around it, including you, giving you the impression you are being pushed you down toward its centre.

The word "energy" is massively misused, thanks to sci fi films (featuring energy beams and weapons) and New Age nonsense, when people talk about getting "energy" from crystals etc.

In other words, don't believe everything you hear or see on the internet. Thanks for these facts. :)

And my apologies for giving out wrong information. I should have check for more sources.

Emma_Acid, I'm a bit disappointed in you.

A black hole is a collapsed star ... It consists of an Event Horizon, beyond which no matter can return, and a singularity, which is a 1 dimensional point in space of no size but infinite mass and therefore gravity.

Just a technicality here:

The singularity has infinite density, not mass. Big difference. Infinite mass suggests infinite gravity (as you point out), infinite density only suggests an infinite gravity gradient. If a black hole truly had infinite gravity due to mass then we'd all be in trouble, and we'd all be sucked towards the nearest black hole.

Because gravity at long ranges is a ~r-2 law, if this still holds true on the scale of the singularity then a black hole may well have infinite gravity at the core, but that is because r -> 0, not mass -> infinity.

Basically force of gravity is F ~ m r-2. If m -> infinity, then F -> infinity everywhere. If m is finite, then F -> infinity only for r -> 0.

Well this is another technicality, but...

Space doesn't fall towards the singularity - if it did the singularity would expand above a 1D point. Space curves towards the singularity, with the curvature increasing the closer to the singularity you get. Between the event horizon and the singularity is a region where every non-superluminal trajectory will get bent back to the singularity.

This is the biggie.

You have a good definition of energy. But of course gravitational potential has the ability to do work. The Moon doesn't `do work' on the Earth? How do tides get driven against frictional and local gravitational forces?

1 J (energy) == the amount of work done by a 1 N force to move an object 1 m. So dropping a 1 kg object from 1 m off the floor does 9.81 J of work.

In other words, don't believe everything you hear or see on the internet.

...including from strange women on forums!! ^_^

And my apologies for giving out wrong information. I should have check for more sources.

Don't worry, the problem is the huge amount of Utter Rubbish on the internet versus what is actually scientifically useful. And because the valid stuff doesn't always sounds as accessible or exciting as the Utter Rubbish, people tend not to buy into it.

But that's their loss frankly! Don't give up your interest - just dig a little deeper... :D

Emma_Acid, I'm a bit disappointed in you

You're not the only one. I'm having a bad day. I guess I was massively over-simplifying, because when someone says "energy coming out of a black hole", they don't mean gravitational energy, they literally mean a beam of energy.

Sorry, really haven't got my thinking cap on today. Consider myself truly told.

My biggest concern is that by Dec 21, 2012 there will be so many topics on the whole 2012 thing that it will use up all the server space in the world and crash the interwebs. :P