Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police consulted warlock over horse plaiting

Still Waters

A police force has consulted a "warlock" in an attempt to unravel a spate of mysterious incidents of horses having their manes plaited.

Owners in west Dorset and the surrounding counties had believed that thieves plaited the manes of the beasts to identify which ones to steal when they returned at night.

But police officers investigating the incidents said there had been no thefts, and instead their enquiries led to the world of pagan ritual.

It is now believed that the practice is a part of white witch "knot magick" that is used when a spell is cast.

It seems those responsible to go extreme lengths at night to carry out their plaiting as horses have had their manes knotted on nights of high wind and rain.

And some of those targeted have been in fields surrounded by electric fences, miles from anywhere.

It is not known exactly how many horses have been targeted but at least a dozen are known to have had the treatment.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen of Annoy

• The Silver Thong

• ~Onyx~

• Still Waters

"warlocks" eh. I'm too tired to even quote implied facepalm here.

What does plaiting mean? And they honestly go to some guy calling himself a warlock?

It's the crossing over of the strands of hair in a horses tail. Some girls also have their hair plaited.

http://www.wikihow.com/Plait-a-Horse%27s-Tail

We call it braiding. I've came across this phenomena will doing research for my book.

From the Occult Review for May, 1906, Franz Hartmann, writing under the title ‘Witchcraft in Germany’ says that his ‘brother-in-law, Count A. v. S.___, was a captain in the Bavarian clavalry (chevaux-legers), and lives at present at S., after having retired from service. Some years ago while on duty he noticed that one of his horses was sickly and the groom reported that he found it every morning bathed in sweat, and with its mane and tail plaited in a most unaccountable way. The Count, being a total unbeliever in things unnatural, made up his mind to investigate the matter, and so he spent the night in the stable watching the horse. Everything seemed all right, but at about 2 am, a sudden tremor shook the horse, and in a moment its mane and tail were plaited in a most intricate manner, and the animal became covered with sweat.’

What does plaiting mean? And they honestly go to some guy calling himself a warlock?

Apparently, some individuals do take Dungeons & Dragons very seriously.

We call it braiding. I've came across this phenomena will doing research for my book.

From the Occult Review for May, 1906, Franz Hartmann, writing under the title ‘Witchcraft in Germany’ says that his ‘brother-in-law, Count A. v. S.___, was a captain in the Bavarian clavalry (chevaux-legers), and lives at present at S., after having retired from service. Some years ago while on duty he noticed that one of his horses was sickly and the groom reported that he found it every morning bathed in sweat, and with its mane and tail plaited in a most unaccountable way. The Count, being a total unbeliever in things unnatural, made up his mind to investigate the matter, and so he spent the night in the stable watching the horse. Everything seemed all right, but at about 2 am, a sudden tremor shook the horse, and in a moment its mane and tail were plaited in a most intricate manner, and the animal became covered with sweat.’

They have Slavic fairies visiting there. Seriously.

Slavic fairies are not small, winged creatures, they are said to be very humanoid. They 'borrow' horses to ride them during night. They make plaids in horse’s mane and tail for fun and as a mark. Then they return horses in the dawn, sometimes sweaty but always unharmed. Quite similar to the story you posted.

I expect little bells to start appearing in manes of those horses and people to start seeing tall, pale girls in long flowing gowns. :yes:

They have Slavic fairies visiting there. Seriously.

Slavic fairies are not small, winged creatures, they are said to be very humanoid. They 'borrow' horses to ride them during night. They make plaids in horse’s mane and tail for fun and as a mark. Then they return horses in the dawn, sometimes sweaty but always unharmed. Quite similar to the story you posted.

I expect little bells to start appearing in manes of those horses and people to start seeing tall, pale girls in long flowing gowns. :yes:

Cool story and hell ya "seeing tall, pale girls in long flowing gowns." can't wait to start seeing that LOL

Cool story and hell ya "seeing tall, pale girls in long flowing gowns." can't wait to start seeing that LOL

According to old stories, you might even get lucky ;) , but you must never betray their trust that includes talking about meeting them. They are very efficient helpers but also horrible avengers. There was a story about young man who was ungrateful after being helped by fairies, so they broke his legs. They were mild, because they liked him, some others were driven insane or simply killed.

Besides that detail, fairies are very lovely and they love to help, asking nothing in return. OK, sometimes they want a child in return, but that's only in specific cases.

Edited by Helen of Annoy

According to old stories, you might even get lucky ;) , but you must never betray their trust – that includes talking about meeting them. They are very efficient helpers but also horrible avengers. There was a story about young man who was ungrateful after being helped by fairies, so they broke his legs. They were mild, because they liked him, some others were driven insane or simply killed.

Besides that detail, fairies are very lovely and they love to help, asking nothing in return. OK, sometimes they want a child in return, but that's only in specific cases.

Ok I want to meet one lol That would be awesome if only it were true. I would be out looking for one everynight LOL

Ok I want to meet one lol That would be awesome if only it were true. I would be out looking for one everynight LOL

Go to the creek or river, preferably somewhere in the forest, tie red ribbons to a tree and wait. You can fall asleep if you wish. Repeat for few nights, or until they show up.

If they are not appearing, just say out loud why do you need them and go home. If they appear, you can say your problems to them and they will help, but before that you'll have to dance with them (that's how crop circles are formed, according to our lore :lol: ).

If a fairy falls in love with you, she’ll ask you to go with them, to their world. You can refuse that offer, but children born to fairy mother always belong only to her, human father has no rights.

Now you really, really want to meet one, ha?

Go to the creek or river, preferably somewhere in the forest, tie red ribbons to a tree and wait. You can fall asleep if you wish. Repeat for few nights, or until they show up.

If they are not appearing, just say out loud why do you need them and go home. If they appear, you can say your problems to them and they will help, but before that you'll have to dance with them (that's how crop circles are formed, according to our lore :lol: ).

If a fairy falls in love with you, she’ll ask you to go with them, to their world. You can refuse that offer, but children born to fairy mother always belong only to her, human father has no rights.

I think that would be damn cool and ya in the sping I'm going to the river with red bows and camp for a week. Dancing by the river in the pale moon light sounds like fun hehe. Now the crop circle thing thats just nuts LOL

• 3 weeks later...

According to old stories, you might even get lucky ;) , but you must never betray their trust – that includes talking about meeting them. They are very efficient helpers but also horrible avengers. There was a story about young man who was ungrateful after being helped by fairies, so they broke his legs. They were mild, because they liked him, some others were driven insane or simply killed.

As long as they are not asking for child support after.. :P

Damn, that's A LOT of work. Can't you just send them an e-mail @fairydancindownbytheriver.com, or something?

As long as they are not asking for child support after.. :P

You’re spoiling my romantic moment here. :lol:

Damn, that's A LOT of work. Can't you just send them an e-mail @fairydancindownbytheriver.com, or something?

A lot of work? To tie a ribbon and sleep under the tree is a lot of work? :blink:

Besides, we are talking about fairies, not technical support. :D

You’re spoiling my romantic moment here. :lol:

A lot of work? To tie a ribbon and sleep under the tree is a lot of work? :blink:

*snort*

Well someone needs to drag these fairies, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century, that's all I'm sayin. :P

Well someone needs to drag these fairies, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century, that's all I'm sayin. :P

You can’t drag me or my neighbours into the 21st century, let alone the mythical beings from our lore. :lol:

Also, we must not forget UFO enthusiasts that think that fairy related legends have roots in visits of highly advanced aliens or even people from the future. That kind of theories place fairies far ahead of our modest 21st century. ^_^

• 1 month later...

the so called expert they consulted was Kevin Carlyon who is hated by any real wiccan, witch and satanist he knows nothing at all. Discrd anything he says - it was just done by pervs or those who like to create a mystery.

people to start seeing tall, pale girls in long flowing gowns. :yes:

Maybe those are the sacrificial virgins? :ph34r:

the so called expert they consulted was Kevin Carlyon who is hated by any real wiccan, witch and satanist he knows nothing at all. Discrd anything he says - it was just done by pervs or those who like to create a mystery.

yes, Kevin Carlyon,the "King of the Wizards" or whatever silly title he calls himself with now**. He wants to be Gerald Gardner, if not Aleister Crowley, but sadly, he isn't.

Anyway, the term "warlock" is actually a term of offence, i think, isn't it.

** The High Priest of British White Witches, if you please.

Edited by 747400

Yes.

Among horsey folk there is divided opinion. Some people believe it is just the wind that blows the mane into sort of plaits.

----------------------

Give me a break !!!

Well, wind is fine excuse... I mean, theory, just like Venus and swamp gas and whatnot. ^_^

Now, about meeting fairies, it’s relatively simple if you live near places which they still visit and if you are of their kin. They don't trust ‘pure’ humans anymore.

You can always ask someone from family known to have bonded with fairies to help you contact them, but they are obliged to play dumb. First, it’s because fairies like to remain undercover in last few centuries and then, there’s the negative image various churches pinned on them.

When my great-grandmother was abducted by fairies (I kid you not) the official excuse for her out-of-body state was lightning strike. I’d never trade myths from my childhood for modern games. ^_^