Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I have a question about the end of the world

DrawingPics

I heard that one day, most likely many many years later, all the energy will be converted into useless energy and there won't be any left to sustain life, is that true?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrawingPics

• behaviour???

• sepulchrave

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We will face an energy crisis If we continue depleting it at the alarming rate we now use...But I dont think it will turn ito useless energy

Thanks

B???

I heard that one day, most likely many many years later, all the energy will be converted into useless energy and there won't be any left to sustain life, is that true?

Possibly. What you describe is the `Heat Death' scenario for the end of the Universe. As the Universe evolves, more and more energy (from nuclear, chemical, etc. sources) gets converted into long wavelength `thermal' energy (infrared to radio wave) and dispersed throughout the Universe. You can only do something useful with thermal energy if you have a gradient - i.e. one region that is full of it and one region that is empty. Since this radiation is getting dispersed everywhere, there will eventually be no gradients - and therefore no way of using the energy.

The `Heat Death' scenario is inevitable IF the Universe doesn't re-collapse into a singularity (think the reverse of the Big Bang - called the `Big Crunch'), or the expansion of the Universe doesn't cause the very building blocks of matter to rip apart (called the `Big Rip').

Based on current evidence, people think that the `Big Rip' is the most likely outcome.