Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New photo of Face on Mars proves Red Planet's

Still Waters

It was the startling photograph that spawned a thousand conspiracy theories.

A photograph taken by the American Viking 1 Orbiter in July 1976 appeared to show a hill in the shape of a human face on the dusty surface of Mars.

But a new photograph released today, which was taken with Nasa’s high-definition HiRISE camera, finally shows the Face on Mars for what it really is: just a large, rocky hill in the middle of the Martian desert.

This is the closest ever image of the famous outcrop which should, once and for all, scotch the conspiracy theorists who believe that the 'face' is conclusive evidence of intelligent life on Mars.

Within days of its discovery in 1976, space enthusiasts were speculating that the structure was man-made and had been built by Martians in the distant past.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• badeskov

• mcrom901

• Space Commander Travis

• xris

I'm glad NASA took care of that myth, although I'm sure there will be consipracy theories that live on.

oh, don't puncture our illusions. Anyway, what about the pyramids, eh? What about the pyramids?

It's hard to understand why anyone would build a "face" on a planet anyway...thanks for posting still waters, now hopefully some of the conspiracy theorists will give up.

post-104506-003612300 1280509327_thumb.j

I think the most fun I have had in months on the internet was playing with the Mars GPS map. I did not even remember to check for that face until much later. I did not really even bother much even looking. I was to into the planet itself. There is a massive gouge like something ripped into it. I did find a few happy faces inside craters. One I even did a print screen on* above pic, If you go check out the map try the shaded relief, it makes all sorts of things look like they are there, but as soon as you change the view, what you saw is gone. :D

http://jmars.mars.asu.edu/maps/

You can see the Mars vegetables clearly in these new shots.

Edited by Sweetpumper

You can see the Mars vegetables clearly in these new shots.

Ah, I miss him.

Ah, I miss him.

Yea! Me too We Will just have to Find the Underground City`s on Mars someday When We get to

actally Go there ! "Klatu Brando Nickto" :rolleyes:

post-68971-002163300 1280514612_thumb.jp

Ah, I miss him.

Yeah...

Cheers,

Badeskov

It's hard to understand why anyone would build a "face" on a planet anyway...thanks for posting still waters, now hopefully some of the conspiracy theorists will give up.

Sadly, not those with PS CS3 and other "enhancement" weaponry :unsure:

Im afraid you guys are too cynical and comical to keep any true believers here for long. You never encourage them , I might try on occassions to play both sides but I see your reactions. You act like circling vultures ready to plunge on your prey. You need to feed it appears.

I think I distinctly remember Tim Robbins and Don Cheadle proving that the limestone-esque face is just covered with a thick layer of dirt

Im afraid you guys are too cynical and comical to keep any true believers here for long. You never encourage them , I might try on occassions to play both sides but I see your reactions. You act like circling vultures ready to plunge on your prey. You need to feed it appears.

Richard Hoagland has made a career and a lot of money on seeing a "face" where there is only a "pile of rocks" on Mars. Damn straight that those who base their thinking on rationality are going to attack junk like this.

...and you just gotta love the first comment on the linked page. Paraphrasing..."How do we know that this is real evidence"?

Some are incapable of learning.

Edited by the_UNKNOWN_DEAD

Don't encourage them? Holy cow, they don't need much encouragement. Most of the true, true believers are completely impervious to anything anyone says to them anyway.

Calling people cynical and comical because they disagree openly with your opinions is actually quite humourous. I mean, really, are you suggesting we should just let people spout off whatever idiocy and foolishness they feel like without defending from a real understanding of reality?

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant. Stupidity, willful ignorance, is something completely different, however.

Don't encourage them? Holy cow, they don't need much encouragement. Most of the true, true believers are completely impervious to anything anyone says to them anyway.

Exactly. I find the same thing. "True believers" are very stubborn, even when they have no reason to be, and no real facts at all. The are quite resistant to any form of logical attack, preferring their squalid ignorance and faith in unproven ideas to reality and true knowledge.

Exactly. I find the same thing. "True believers" are very stubborn, even when they have no reason to be, and no real facts at all. The are quite resistant to any form of logical attack, preferring their squalid ignorance and faith in unproven ideas to reality and true knowledge.

Sorta Like Believing in Gravity ? If you dont believe in it Try Jumping outta the Airplane!

And when you get right up to Reality tell me it dosnt exisist!

SPLATTT!!!

MAybe these guys Will figure it Out?

post-68971-047487500 1280590754_thumb.jp

Sorta Like Believing in Gravity ? If you dont believe in it Try Jumping outta the Airplane!

And when you get right up to Reality tell me it dosnt exisist!

SPLATTT!!!

MAybe these guys Will figure it Out?

It's not whether it exists or not, but what, exactly, it is. Sure it exists, there is SOME sort of effect. But we do have more to learn about it. That's the beauty of it.

So that is what your avatar is doing...vibrating to defy gravity. :)

that is irrelevant without knowing what it is.... :P

I said there's some sort of effect, not force. ;) Clever, though. :P

another constituent of one of matter's properties defy those very laws of 'effect'... but they "force" their force to be ufos... :wub:

976dc1ff6f3f.jpg