Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Göbekli Tepe-10 000 BC

Big Bad Voodoo

I have a question regarding this dig site, is it possible to date the sediments on that where on top of the structures? to find out when the megalith was covered up?

I know this is probably going to sound a bit conspirical but would it be possible that later religions covered this 'temple' up to hide some truth?

Paco~

The base of that statue looks like a hand grip. What are its dimensions? :unsure2:

sorry to say,, i really don't know Jules. The only info i had is that it was found at Gobekli Tepe..

The V neck is telling too... of what i'm not sure... it's Priestly tho.

(good stuff Ove)

Seems We've got everything wrong ! Göbekli Tepe explains it all !

callanish-circle-cc-colinjcampbell.jpg

Callanish Stone Circle

boscawen_un_F75_053_1.jpg

Boscawen Stone Circle

torhouse_stone_circle.gif

Torhouse Stone Circle

stonehenge.jpg

Stonehenge Stone Circle

vifng9.jpg

Göbekli Tepe Stone Circle

Edited by Ove

seems there are a lot of other artifacts found at the site and other similar sites near gobekli like

Çatal Höyük is now considered to be one of the earliest known 'cities' in the world.

links provided here

Ove, The overhead images of Gobekli Tepe you showed ... made me immediately think "that reminds me of Stonehenge" .. and Search Images of .. [ Stonehenge from above ] .

Dig this y'all ..... post-86645-0-97167400-1297808286_thumb.j ... see the hands? Priestly?

Ove, The overhead images of Gobekli Tepe you showed ... made me immediately think "that reminds me of Stonehenge" .. and Search Images of .. [ Stonehenge from above ] .

Dig this y'all ..... post-86645-0-97167400-1297808286_thumb.j ... see the hands? Priestly?

Pure spec I guess but they look like some sort of meeting place for the leaders. Perhaps the carvings show in which direction the best hunting of this species is found. Once again are the openings (Doors) aligned to catch the most light for the interior or is it known these places were not roofed over?

Im busy but I cant ignore some posts. Im happy for your contribution guys. I will respond later just drop to say few words.

First of all what really surprise me is fact that more time spent between Gobekli Tepe and Giza pyramids then from Giza pyramid till today. That fact is really impresive. Second thing is that Gobekli Tepe already changed our history. Im mean history teach us that humans first settled and have done some farming. Then have had more times then start to build temples. It looks like that human first build temples. So in the begging there were temples. Before Gobekli Tepe for what I know there is no megalithic structures. Only "houses" I can remember is Ukraines Mamooths village.(???) Gobekli Tepe is like implant. Schmidt is awesome guy. How he re-found Gobekli Tepe. Gobekli Tepe on Turkish mean like "belly hill".

I agree SlimJim. Those H are interesing. At second I thought on Puma Punku. At post 43 you can see like letter U and on left and right side of it you can see like IHH. I wonder what does represent?

Ove nice pics man. God sent you. Those "hands" are great. Belt buckle is interesting theory. I like theory about two high priests. About Stone cicles in general-there are many cicles around the world. From Amazonia, Europe, Australia and so on. We have two in my homeland Croatia.

Jules nice catch there. Venus.

El paco I thought same. Ancient cover up. But it is possible that someone want to preserve temple.

Third eye. Awesome link. Thanks man. Artifacts are great. My english is not so well, so when they said Life-sized Human Figurine do they mean size like circa modern man ? If so that is awesome.

Lightly nice find. That is so interesing.

Paygan. No on some sites they say BC. What is differnece we understand eachother. Christ Common BP... Also I found many articles where it said or 12 000 or 11 000 or 10 000 BC. I dont know. Still confused.

Edited by the L

Why would statues of priests have lizards and scorpions and birds (Oh my!) carved randomly all over them?

How do you know it was randomly carved?

Edited by the L

How do you know it was randomly carved?

I meant haphazardly, as in a disorganized fashion.

There are actual human statues at the site:

http://mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/the-worlds-oldest-stone-temple-gobekli-tepe/

So if these are supposed to be priests, why don't they look like priests instead of a bunch of flat slabs covered with assorted animal carvings?

The base of that statue looks like a hand grip. What are its dimensions? :unsure2:

third_eye's post #54 link says it is 2M .... Oniomancer's link (above) says it is Lifesize.

hi Flashbangwollap , far as i know, i don't think anyone believe's either site had a roof.

third_eye's post #54 link says it is 2M .... Oniomancer's link (above) says it is Lifesize.

hi Flashbangwollap , far as i know, i don't think anyone believe's either site had a roof.

Hi Lightly long time no talk.

Shame that but perhaps the contact for them with nature was more important than privacy. Prohaps council meeting places then?

Do you know of anyone doing the alignment thing yet, any links net wise with this idea? Not lazy just running low on allowance again.:devil:

Thanks Lightly;

Re the moa with the priestly hands, Ive found similar in Sulawesi;

http://www.unspecial.org/UNS630/UNS_630_T25.html

Mebbe its just a blokey thing, very priestly though :devil: .

Thanks Lightly;

http://www.unspecial...NS_630_T25.html

:lol::lol: If You could only read my mind right now. There again maybe you can.

Also see The Puzzlers old post for uses of the Gobekli Tepe's large stone's sculptures. Can't seem to drag then over here?

Edited by Flashbangwollap

Thanks Lightly;

http://www.unspecial.org/UNS630/UNS_630_T25.html

yw .. those are Great ! .. the Priestly one is going in my collection :lol:

Hi Flashbangwollap, Ya ... meeting places for sure .

yw .. those are Great ! .. the Priestly one is going in my collection :lol:

Hi Flashbangwollap, Ya ... meeting places for sure .

I was mulling this thought over but let it go but will put it to words anyway. What are the odds of the same pose being found in Göbekli Tepe, Easter Island and Sulawesi. Ive not really searched that hard so there might be heaps more.

Its probably just the simplest way of carving that led to the commonality, what do you think?

I was mulling this thought over but let it go but will put it to words anyway. What are the odds of the same pose being found in Göbekli Tepe, Easter Island and Sulawesi. Ive not really searched that hard so there might be heaps more.

Its probably just the simplest way of carving that led to the commonality, what do you think?

I don't know Jules... why not hands at the sides then? Why so often at the navel, or thereabouts ? I've been looking for them since while searching for Mother Goddess figures i started finding masculine images with the same hands position. I think there is a common and very enduring belief behind the position of the hands. It always makes me think soul or life force for some reason. ( just a feeling i get )

As you say.. what are the odds? I think it is a shared idea.. and very very old.

The V neck thing too... that is really the part i think of as priestly. I've seen that crop up here and there too.

Wish i'd have saved the V neck images i've encountered . Another poster showed quite a few examples of that... i've forgotten which thread it was.

Edited by lightly

couldn't attach this afterthought to my other post .... OLMECpost-86645-0-97492700-1297948940_thumb.j

the hands on the sides probably is the most economical way in terms of effort to form and use of material it seems

most probably brought over from the earlier forms of wood sculpture which also share the characteristic

Third eye. Awesome link. Thanks man. Artifacts are great...

Most welcome

Why would statues of priests have lizards and scorpions and birds (Oh my!) carved randomly all over them?

The priests are the creators of animals, of new life. The purpose of the gatherings inside the stone circles, is the creation of new life, together with the great creators, the stone age priests.

Edited by Ove

The priests are the creators of animals, of new life. The purpose of the gatherings inside the stone circles, is the creation of new life, together with the great creators, the stone age priests.

or maybe a designation of a particular tribe, name, place or status ?

or maybe a designation of a particular tribe, name, place or status ?

In some ancient religions a particular animal will be like family to a person, and accordingly against all laws to be slaughtered or eaten by that individual, Within a group separate families may each have a kindred creature. This totem animal unites the particular family or group and marriage or hanky panky within each particular totem animal group is forbidden. To protect against incest presumably and in this instance punishable by death;

http://books.google.com/books?id=7P9KJuAXGHUC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=emu+totem+person&source=bl&ots=ub2JU9w6p5&sig=p2CihAZhuqXkHVsradNpGEyXbkg&hl=en&ei=pRNeTdGqBJPsvQO_mtCeDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=emu%20totem%20person&f=false

This is from Australian native law...It may or maynot be applicable here buts its an interesting possibility.

I don't know Jules... why not hands at the sides then? Why so often at the navel, or thereabouts ? I've been looking for them since while searching for Mother Goddess figures i started finding masculine images with the same hands position. I think there is a common and very enduring belief behind the position of the hands. It always makes me think soul or life force for some reason. ( just a feeling i get )

As you say.. what are the odds? I think it is a shared idea.. and very very old.

The V neck thing too... that is really the part i think of as priestly. I've seen that crop up here and there too.

Wish i'd have saved the V neck images i've encountered . Another poster showed quite a few examples of that... i've forgotten which thread it was.

I think its gotta be a universal thing, like marking territory, or announcing "tough blokes here look out" or similar. Warding off strangers and protecting the women, with a universal masculine gesture, thats probably been known from an early age to intimidate other males.

Its the only way I could justify the stance appearing so widespread, there are probably many other reasons, this one just came to me.

Edited by jules99

I think its gotta be a universal thing, like marking territory, or announcing "tough blokes here look out" or similar. Warding off strangers and protecting the women, with a universal masculine gesture, thats probably been known from an early age to intimidate other males.

Its the only way I could justify the stance appearing so widespread, there are probably many other reasons, this one just came to me.

Yes I think this is perhaps the most logical reason for the hand positions. The English Bobby used to be seen walking on his beat with his hands behind his back but holding his truncheon ready for any mischief. One supposes this is the reverse of a priest who isn't hiding anything with having his hands in full view but ready to defend (the faith) metaphorically speaking.

This seems counter to answers so far but fits more with religious ideas to me. To learn more on early religion you need only read Kmt's posts which are very good imo and usually found on Egyptian subjects.

Edited by Flashbangwollap