Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An example of law based on religion

Grandpa Greenman

At heart, the question remains "When does life begin?" and there is no single, absolute answer. (Yes, I made a 'no-duh' post but it seems to be one the most complicated questions ever asked.)

Life begins when the Xians stop persecuting the rest of us.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Athans

• Setton

• danielost

I dealt with that easy - I moved out lol

At heart, the question remains "When does life begin?" and there is no single, absolute answer. (Yes, I made a 'no-duh' post but it seems to be one the most complicated questions ever asked.)

This is a great point, and it will be different for everyone.

I go with Science at this point in defining my line and I think Roe V Wade is very well articulated and considers the important factors for me, in such a decision.

Edited by Sherapy

As a Ph.D. (Literary and Cultural Studies, UPenn), I can say that I learn just as much from my students as they learn from me.

I am living proof of what one can accomplish without a degree. I began a journey for my son which lead me to volunteering as a learning coach for a public charter funded by my state, with countless resources, including many friends that are teachers.The school I am with has afforded me the opportunity to gain in experience and knowledge, a skill that I now get payed for.

I have worked hard though and have had to learn a lot on my own and many times I have taken courses and will continue to do so. It is not magic by any means.

Quite frankly a beloved PHD friend of mine once told me some of the sharpest people he knew didn't have college degrees.

Recently a doctor client of mine told me there are 2 skills that can never be overvalued enough ,one is teaching and one is being a life long learner. They are marketable in some way.

But, I am not a teacher and do not market myself as one, the reality is my State has made changes in education that are opening doors for payed tutors. I only make 20.00 dollars an hour, not nearly what a teacher would make, but whose complaining . ...

@Setton, keep on having your debates and you are correct there are intelligent folks who didn't go to college and there always will be.

I said in the post that if you were just trying to be nice, I apologize…

I tried to be respectful as much as I could.

Hopefully that's clarified then :tu:

If I suggested this in any of my classes or papers I would fail if I did not provide sources and I would especially be laughed out of class if it happened to be wrong. If I had a reliable source to at least back up what I said, that is a whole nother story.

The reason I got annoyed is your link did not add to the debate. We were talking about a single verse, not the book of Leviticus. If you simply put a link in there asking others to read for another opinion, fine, but you targeted it towards ME. You made me feel as if I was somehow missing something in the argument. I did not get the impression that you were trying to educate the public reading the board. Maybe next time try addressing the public, because as you stated, this is a public message board. Once again, with all due respect, you are a Moderator. Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t your job to get the topics back on track? It seemed to me that you were just trying to open up a whole new can of worms instead of trying to get the topic back on the original topic.

As I said, we are not in any of your classes or writing any of your papers. I understand that you may not be used to the level of learning required to post here, but this place isn't for the intellectual elite who need Tertiary education before their comments are considered valid.

And yes, my comment was off topic, and I have apologised for it. Threads can often have a life of their own, and a well-placed post or two can shoot it in entirely new directions - "Someone I know hates gays"... "the Bible says nothing about gays".... "What about Leviticus".... And suddenly we're arguing about the merits of the Old Testament in application of the idea of homosexuality.

Also, I find it very unlikely that a random reader would read a post more than 4 or so pages long. Even if it is a topic I am interested in, it is very unlikely that I would read more than 4 or 5 pages.

That is their choice to decide whether they read a post or not, and if a long post

How am I supposed to know if you are a Google scholar or if you have real sources with a statement like “many theologians will agree with me.” Not everyone is a Google scholar, but how do you tell the difference?

I appreciate the sources. It shows some scholarly research…but it also shows your views.

I never claimed to be other than a Christian who identifies strongly with the Conservative Evangelical movement. As to the google scholar, you could always simply ask - "hey Seepgood, where did you get the information from"?

They are followed by the Mormons. I do not have the specific article which talks about this on my computer, but if you are interested I can email Dr. Osburn for it

That would be great :tu:

I have personally asked about the word abomination a number of times. All 3 people I asked cringed before answering and said “it’s complicated.” 2 of these 3 people teach advanced Hebrew at a University. If this is such common knowledge can you explain why they don’t just have an answer?

I can't answer that. I have seen this in many places over the years, and I have not really seen a counter to the idea that the term to-ebah (translated into English as "abomination") is not a reference to idol worship. I'm sure it is more complicated than my single response may indicate. The response I have seen simply seems to be the general consensus that I have come across.

Thanks for reading. As I said, I apologise for dragging this off topic (moderators are human beings too).

Hi Gid,

Mind clarifying what you mean by this?

Hi Gid,

Mind clarifying what you mean by this?

Don't you think 1700 years of pogroms, witch burnings, genocide and the Inquisition are more than enough? I don't think that the same religion that perpetrated all this should dare to try to control our bodies (women in particular).

Don't you think 1700 years of pogroms, witch burnings, genocide and the Inquisition are more than enough? I don't think that the same religion that perpetrated all this should dare to try to control our bodies (women in particular).

And how does this relate to mklsgl's question - "when does life begin". In the context of a baby in the womb - is a baby a "life" at the moment of conception, or at twenty weeks, or when it's finally out of the womb, or some other date we can set between conception and birth. Your answer about life beginning when Christians stop persecution has nothing to do with the question on life in the womb.