Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is it kids always see the weird stuff

mataroki

Children express a wide range of imaginative behavior. The less imaginative behavior might be something like my kid claiming that the stuffed toy will eat me up. The kids roar for it and run the face of the stuffed toy over me. No one thinks that the stuffed toy will bite. It's a game. If my kid now tells me that the stuffed toy can talk and tells my kid that it's okay to eat candy before dinner we all say something like, "Tell your toy no candy." It's still a game. If the child sits his toys in a circle and talks to them like the teacher then we all think it's a game. If the child responds to questions from the toys we think how cute. If the child offers imaginary food to the toys once more it's "How cute." If the child brings in real food for the toys and then tells us that the toys ate the food it's still "How cute."

Now what if the child talks to an imaginary person? Some people might claim this is evidence of something weird and no longer a game. All I see is a range of imaginative activity that grays from 1 to the next. The items I see adults pointing to are the imagination of children that scare the adult. Maybe make the adult apprehensive is a better way of stating it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not ridiculing anyone or trying to deny or disprove anyone's own claims, only give my own personal opinion of this subject, which I do not believe most people do intentionally, but is more an unconscious tendency that manifests subtly, creating the environment for this to take place.

I think the idea that children are sensitive or can see ghosts and such is imagination or misidentification and confusion on the part of the child (or adult), as well as the adults wanting to ascribe specialness to their child, and to also use their child as a conduit, to allow them to also believe in "magic" again, the paranormal.

They project this perception onto their child, until the child hears this enough and believes it or even starts to behave appropriately in a manner to be rewarded by the parent, by positive reinforcement and nurturing these "abilities", possibly even developing in the child a lifelong "gift" or idea that they can see and feel things, but which are actually not there at all, but is instead the wind, a draft, etc.

At the same time, regardless of their previous beliefs (though most were already inclined toward the mystical), the parents suddenly "rediscover" and "remember" old abilities they themselves "had", and could see and hear and feel spirits, and now can still do it "sometimes". Since the parent's genetics or psychic aura or something is allegedly transferred to offspring, that means not only is the child obviously a very special being, but that means the parent must be too!

In one example, a mother was carrying her 22 month old, which pointed at empty air and said "ghost", which the mom asked for her to repeat what she said, and the 22 month old said there was a ghost (according to the mother - though I'm skeptical on the clear and accurate speech of 22 month olds). We are not born knowing what ghosts are, or what significance they have or that they're unusual or break natural laws and established theories, or are a philosophical and religious hot button, so it is rather unlikely a child (especially ones so young) would "recognize" or understand a ghost if they saw one.

They most definitely couldn't know or use the correct traditional word, unless they have been raised, surrounded and influenced in an environment in which such things are talked about as factual or at least regularly, much the same way more religious Christian children might report "seeing angels", or earlier rural Europeans reported seeing fairies - it is part of the inherent condition and legend of the ambient culture, so it is incorporated into their belief system, expectations and personal symbolism.

• 1 year later...

rumor and wives tale say that kids have a purity that let them see ghosts n monsters and faeries and what not,but are they seriously seeing these things,or is it just therre imagination?

i think it's something do with the fact that they are more open minded, so they can see a lot more stuff...people who don't believe are unlikely to see something because they won't look for it but children don't experience this until they get older, which allows them to see things other people can't...

I agree. I think it's the same reason why animals are "so susceptible to paranormal activity". Animals can hear something strange but because they lack something called a human brain and the ability to use logic, they freak out over it.

I agree. I think the main factor is that both animals and little children lack the ability to properly communicate what they are seeing (or not seeing) and then people jump to conclusions from this. If a dog starts barking at nothing or refusing to go in a certain room, some people immediately think "ghost!" Of course, the dog can't tell them what it is really barking at.

I think the same principle applies to children. They lack the descriptive skills to accurately describe what they saw and this leads the parent to fill in the blanks. For example, a streetlight outside a kid's bedroom window happens to shine on their wall in a vague shape of a man. The kid tells their parents that they "saw a man made of light" in their room. It's easy to see how that could be misconstrued as a ghost.

I honestly think that children have strong imaginations PLUS they are unable, due to their lack of discernment and knowledge, they are unable to identify the normal effects of natural occurrences.

They may see lights reflecting off their bedroom wall at night due to passing cars and may think it is a ghost or they might see a firefly off in the distance blinking on and off and think it is a faery or whatever but to actually see anything super-natural??

I just don't think so. I simply think children get overly involved in their imaginations when they play and they get stuck on one idea and become insistent that what they seen is real or is as they claim it is.

Just my view.

• 1 month later...

i think its also something do with their 'innocence', sorta like it makes em more open to things and then when people have lost it, they close their minds to them.

I agree.

They don't know how the world works, yet. To them, anything and everything is possible. That's why stuff like Harry Potter is so damned popular because they believe that by merely stepping onto a train, entering a wardrobe, or falling down a hole, you'll be taken to a magical world.

As for the imaginary friends thing...Well, I only got into because I thought it was required for a child to have an imaginary friend. It didn't last long though, a year at most before I dropped it. Never did anything like tell my parents to buy two toys (and if I did, it was because I personally wanted those two toys).

They're easily fooled. If you tell them at a young age (like 4 or 5) that humans are living on the other side of the moon, then they'll likely believe it.

I believe a child could possibly see more than adults at times. When you are a child your imagination is more.. open and you can believe things easier. Say a child saw a spirit compared to an adult, depending on the adult's personality they would maybe be in denial, or try to ignore it or think they are just seeing things when maybe there really is something there. It's complicated. A child could also be making themselves believe it's there.. The mind works in so many different ways :)

• 2 weeks later...

rumor and wives tale say that kids have a purity that let them see ghosts n monsters and faeries and what not,but are they seriously seeing these things,or is it just therre imagination?

IMO it could be a combination of both. Who knows.

I think it is because children are open-minded and innocent. Edit: Spelling

Edited by AliveInDeath

My 3 yr old has been "the Flash" for over a year now and my 5 yr old is currently "Thor". I dont believe they are seeing or experiencing anything more than I am. I do believe they have an imagination that is so far, unchecked by real world experience and knowing what is possible and what is not. That is what makes childhood such a fun and memorable time for most kids, they are unencumbered by the constraints of reality. That doesnt mean that reality is different for them or that they have any special ability to see more of it.

I guess that you could say that the children are more likely to see things,I've also been told that animals can see things too. I don't know for sure if it's a myth or to be true. If it is true,then as some would say,it could be pure heart. But then again,can all animals and children pick up on things or just the ones that are chosen with that kind of ability which stays with them into adulthood?

Time to pitch my two cents in (I can hear all of you groaning, but bare with me)

Children are impressionable, they don't yet know that the idea of seeing ghosts and things is frowned upon by society, and they have no problems with telling their parents what they've seen, while an older person may fear being considered weird or crazy. I've heard the theory that spirits are drawn to children, also. But honestly? What I believe?

It's under the same principle as the greek/roman mythology. They didn't understand natural phenomenon, and so they thought of dieties to explain it. Little children don't yet understand things like shadows and lightening and houses creaking as they settle at night, and so they come up with paranormal explanations, and their parents want to believe that they are pure or in tune with the spirit world, while it's only their young minds grasping new situations they don't yet understand, ehich would explain why the "gift" goes away when we get older. It also helps that young children have huge imaginations and may actually believe they're seeing things when it's all in their own mind.

On the other hand, I'm not denying that maybe they do have a link, and maybe they do see things others don't. Sometimes strange and unexplainable things do happen...!

Edited by Agent D. Scully

Gullible is the word. adj. Easily deceived or duped.

Fill a child's head with nonsense and they'll believe it.... hook, line and sinker.

Edited by Eldorado

Gullible is the word. adj. Easily deceived or duped.

Fill a child's head with nonsense and they'll believe it.... hook, line and sinker.

Are you implying my kid isnt really Thor?

merely a case of people wanting to beleive there little hell spawn is seeing something and not just imagining.

kids have a wild imagination, they dont know the constraints of it.

I have a pretty strong feeling that people wouldnt get so excited if they themselves didnt ascrible meaning to the drivel of there children.

Are you implying my kid isnt really Thor?

Certainly not. I was Thor myself for a few weeks back in the 60's, just before I became Davy Crockett.

Am real glad my parents never made a fuss about it.

Certainly not. I was Thor myself for a few weeks back in the 60's, just before I became Davy Crockett.

Am real glad my parents never made a fuss about it.

I'm implying that he can't be Thor because I am and there can only be one of us! Ya dig that? ONLY ONE THOR! D:<

Edited by Agent D. Scully

I think that a lot of times, kids are just pretending. They know that they didn't really see a ghost, etc., but they say they did for fun. However, I do think that sometimes kids really do think that they saw something weird. Like small children who experience sleep paralysis but don't know what it is, or something like that.

Ah, the wonders of childhood; the only time in ones life where hallucinating on a regular basis is considered normal.

Could it also be that as adults, we are more distracted with our work, bills, mobile phones, and such while children are not as distracted by such things and have more time to do what they are suppposed to do: explore.

Could it also be that as adults, we are more distracted with our work, bills, mobile phones, and such while children are not as distracted by such things and have more time to do what they are suppposed to do: explore.

No. I really do not think so. As we develop we learn to use discernment and not let our imaginations rule our perceptions. At least that is how it should be.

We adults explore too but we have the advantage, hopefully, of understanding the basics of how our brains function and how our beliefs influence the interpretations of our perceptions.

Children are innocent!Have You ever had an immaginary friend?You used to talk to him(her) and no one else could see him?? Or hear him?So thats what adulds blank out! the other dimention.As a child You see things and as an addult you dont wanna see no longer cause you got other things to deal with!!

Well...I believe in the theory that your third eye ( the pinel (spelling?) gland ) has liquid in it. ( do believe david wilcock said this ) and when you eat crap and drink crap ( coke things like that ) it solidifieds the liquid which stops the process children have not yet had all that crap in their system.

Children are innocent!

Umm..not really. They are not any more "innocent" than anyone else. Ever listen to their weird excuses?

Have You ever had an imaginary friend?!

Nope.

So thats what adulds blank out! the other dimention.As a child You see things and as an addult you dont wanna see no longer cause you got other things to deal with!

....No. Children do not "see" anything more or less than what adults do. Children simply lack the understanding of what they see and simply reference it to the limited array of knowledge they have when trying to identify and understand it.

Children simply have imaginations and sometimes they get so deep into it that they forget that none of it is real. That is just how childhood is...we all went through it and we all grew out of it. That is how the course of life is.