Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the Bent Spoon

ShadowofaDoubt

Bobby Nelson (username the Paranormal Skeptic) and I have created a new, free monthly magazine called the Bent Spoon.

In the landscape of paranormal media, there are traditionally two unique, yet separate, brands. One geared toward the believers, and the other more skeptical in nature. The problem is that the true believers rarely, if ever, embrace a skeptical attitude or ask tough questions of their community; instead preferring to surround themselves with likeminded individuals that reinforce their own belief systems. And the skeptics, likewise, promote science and critical thinking largely to those already open to it, or who are active participants in the skeptical community. This results in an echo chamber effect, wherein the same ideas are bounced back and forth, guru-student relationships are inadvertently created, and neither side ends up learning much about the other.

Enter: The Bent Spoon.

jruvfb.jpg

The Bent Spoon is a skeptical magazine for the true believer. Within its pages you will find Q&A between those with opposing viewpoints, interviews with leading investigators and thinkers, as well as articles which will not only provide in-depth analysis, but also be critical of both believers and skeptics alike. Along with reviews, comic strips, and other lighter fare, The Bent Spoon hopes to foster an attitude of outreach, forming a middle ground where believers and skeptics can come together and have a conversation about the issues and questions we’ve all given thought to.

The Bent Spoon. Where extraordinary claims meet ordinary explanations.

This is the Skeptical magazine for the True Believers!

If you are interested in subscribing to this free online magazine, just send an email to thebentspoon@live.com with the word “subscribe” in the subject line. Thank you.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowofaDoubt

• Soul Kitchen

• vitruvian12

• Enoonmai

My spoon bends away from my mouth when I pick it up with my right hand, I want to pick it up with my left

Bobby Nelson (username the Paranormal Skeptic) and I have created a new, free monthly magazine called the Bent Spoon.

In the landscape of paranormal media, there are traditionally two unique, yet separate, brands. One geared toward the believers, and the other more skeptical in nature. The problem is that the true believers rarely, if ever, embrace a skeptical attitude or ask tough questions of their community; instead preferring to surround themselves with likeminded individuals that reinforce their own belief systems. And the skeptics, likewise, promote science and critical thinking largely to those already open to it, or who are active participants in the skeptical community. This results in an echo chamber effect, wherein the same ideas are bounced back and forth, guru-student relationships are inadvertently created, and neither side ends up learning much about the other.

Enter: The Bent Spoon.

jruvfb.jpg

The Bent Spoon is a skeptical magazine for the true believer. Within its pages you will find Q&A between those with opposing viewpoints, interviews with leading investigators and thinkers, as well as articles which will not only provide in-depth analysis, but also be critical of both believers and skeptics alike. Along with reviews, comic strips, and other lighter fare, The Bent Spoon hopes to foster an attitude of outreach, forming a middle ground where believers and skeptics can come together and have a conversation about the issues and questions we’ve all given thought to.

The Bent Spoon. Where extraordinary claims meet ordinary explanations.

This is the Skeptical magazine for the True Believers!

If you are interested in subscribing to this free online magazine, just send an email to thebentspoon@live.com with the word “subscribe” in the subject line. Thank you.

Are either of you two "True Believers"? From what I recall of the Paranormal Skeptic's post it seems he isnt. If you arent it seems odd you would make a magazine geared towards true believers.

Are either of you two "True Believers"? From what I recall of the Paranormal Skeptic's post it seems he isnt. If you arent it seems odd you would make a magazine geared towards true believers.

It probably seems odd to you because you aren't considering the fact that some subjects may be true, and so the magazine may validate such subjects for the believers.

No, we're not. The magazine is aimed to be a meeting ground, since most websites, radio/podcasts, and magazines on either side of the fence tend to "preach to the choir", we wanted to create a resource for many perspectives to meet and exchange ideas.

It probably seems odd to you because you aren't considering the fact that some subjects may be true, and so the magazine may validate such subjects for the believers.

A true believer wouldnt need validation though, would he? (or she)

A true believer wouldnt need validation though, would he? (or she)

But it's good for a tentative believer. Who says that only 'true' believers are allowed to read the publication?

Besides, it shows a 'true believer' that there are others that acknowledge, and possible believe, that of which said believer believes in. Also, validation is always nice for anyone short of a blind believer. Although a skeptic would likely consider such to be the same as a true believer anyways... But the point remains.

Also, I'd like to say that I like the cover design. It has a sort of sober impression.

Also, I'd like to say that I like the cover design. It has a sort of sober impression.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think it can be done.....I have to see it to believe it.....sorry, I just do not thing the mind can do it....

I do not think it can be done.....I have to see it to believe it.....sorry, I just do not thing the mind can do it....

what do you mean?

what do you mean?

This is what happens when people don't read. This person's reply was their opinion on Spoon Bending with telekinesis.

• 5 months later...

This is what happens when people don't read. This person's reply was their opinion on Spoon Bending with telekinesis.

:lol:

Stumbled on this a week or two ago. I rather liked the article on Emily Rosa. However, the interview with Stanton Friedman is how I happened across the link initially. Quite a chuckle, rather sure of himself Stanton, and as you say, he seemed to miss the point of the interview. I wonder if he will speak yo you guys again. But he did manage to plug his books many times in between complaining about how much he thought you guys were useless. Shame he did not just shut up and get on with the interview so we could see if he actually had something to say.

If I write an article for free, do I get to meet Dr.Karen Stollznow in person?? :w00t: HUBBA HUBBA!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean WOW CRIKEY!!! :blink: beauty and brains, she just has it all! wotta woman!

I like the bent spoon. :tu:

Edited by psyche101