Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you currently reading?

kmt_sesh

I don't see myself ever seriously undertaking cuneiform, questionmark. I dabbled in it once (Akkadian) but didn't last long. Damn difficult stuff. I'll stick with Egyptian hieroglyphs, but I'm also just starting to look at Attic Greek. LOL I've been saying that for a while now, actually. I need more time for these pursuits, dammit!

Once you understand the transition from the primitive figurative symbol (we could call it a glyph) to the abstract form it is not so difficult anymore. After a while you start to see symbols in every line combination :w00t:

I order a few of Martin Gardner's puzzle books from Amazon, currently working my way through two of them.

A lot of fun, sometime syou need a brain teaser at work.

I am currently studying The Stoic and Epicurean Philosophers, The Complete Extant Writings of Epicurus, Epictetus, Lucretius, and Marcus Aurelius. Beautiful book. It gives the writings of both sides of the philosophical perspective and at the end, gives the personal; diary of Marcus Aurelius. Marcus was a man of character and his diary was not meant for public eyes, so it is very personal. His character allows him to be at a balance and harmony between the points of Stoicism and Epicureanism.

I recommend the book for anyone who has the inquisitive mind to study the history and origins of the human nature and how it relates to the divine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Currently, I have read The Shining by Stephen King. Reading is mine hobby and i like to read horror types of Book. I had read lots of Horror Books.

Shining is a favourite of mine.

And the movie was damn good....Here's Johnny.... :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Fernand Braudel "A history of civilizations" Wonderful hitory book.

Robin Lane Fox "The classical world"- From Homer to Hadrian. Epic-literaly.

Awesome books.

Fernand Braudel "A history of civilizations" Wonderful hitory book.

Robin Lane Fox "The classical world"- From Homer to Hadrian. Epic-literaly.

Awesome books.

The Cygnus Mystery-Andrew Collins.

Very interesting book,but very difficult for me,because English is not my first language and i dont know a lot of astronomy.

But the book is really interesting and learnt many new things for myself!

Recommended it!

I'm currently reading:

Interstellar Communication: Scientific PerspectivesBy Cyril Ponnamperuma & A.G.W. Cameron

&

Geology Made Simple

by William H. Matthews, III

I've been dabbling in about 7 other books. I'm working on a few articles for a blog.

The Cygnus Mystery-Andrew Collins.

Very interesting book,but very difficult for me,because English is not my first language and i don't know a lot of astronomy.

But the book is really interesting and learnt many new things for myself!

Recommended it!

Great Book. SlimJim22 and I have quoted from it. While very speculative, it shines a little light on a very interesting subject. There's a lot of out-there assertions, but I only grabbed it for the cosmic muons on sentient beings.

Edited by Mentalcase

Do you all really read 1/4 of a book then start reading another one? Then stop and start reading another one??? Everyone seems to be 'reading' 10 books at a time :)

I am reading Saigon Express atm. Last book was classic Wilbur Smith, River God. Love Taita!

Well, I listen to books on tape on my ipod and in my car. I read a book in my room, a book during office hours if I am not busy researching or writing proposals, and a book in the bathroom (lol). So, I am usually working on four books, though the books I listen to on tape I have usually already read. Like right now I am listening to Les Misérables, and I just finished crime and punishment. The books I read at my office are usually biology related like the demon in the freezer or Protein Misfolding, Aggregation and Conformational Diseases or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Then at home I read a variety of things, right now I am reading The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and A Separate Piece by John Knowles.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Woman's Inhumanity To Woman- Phyllis Chesler (almost 600 pages)

"Everyday Life of The Incas" by Ann Kendall.

A second time after 23 something years.

Oh, and I am also reading "The Conquest of the Incas" by John Hemming.

And "Lost City of the Incas" by Hiram Bingham, plus "The Discovery and Conquest of Peru" by Augustin de Zárate.

I am trying to find something, and comparing texts.

I hope the books will all survive the onslaught, lol

Edited by Abramelin

"Everyday Life of The Incas" by Ann Kendall.

A second time after 23 something years.

Oh, and I am also reading "The Conquest of the Incas" by John Hemming.

And "Lost City of the Incas" by Hiram Bingham, plus "The Discovery and Conquest of Peru" by Augustin de Zárate.

I am trying to find something, and comparing texts.

I hope the books will all survive the onslaught, lol

And I should add two to the pile of books I am reading:

"Brazilian Adventure" by Peter Fleming (about finding out about the fate of Percy Fawcett's expedition; a good read for those who love adventure), and Brian/Percy Fawcett's "Exploration Fawcett" (even better), the Dutch edition ("In de greep van onbekend Amerika").

I wish I was there again......

A few books as of now

1st

The rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby A.H. Wilkinson

2nd

Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898 by Mike L. Wallace

3rd

The Indo-Aryan Controversy: Evidence and Inference in Indian History

each book, pagemarked, at diiferent lengths.

Still to go., :)

Edited by The_Spartan

Anyone read any Graham Hancock? And what do you think of his credibility?

I've read a lot of his articles and speeches but none of his books. He's actually more credible

than his detractors sometimes. At least he sticks with logic. I think he's a very good writer but

I'm less impressed by his contentions and the support for them.

He won't be forgotten anytime soon.

I'm still reading the Pyramid Texts. :geek:

• Like 1

I've read a lot of his articles and speeches but none of his books. He's actually more credible

than his detractors sometimes. At least he sticks with logic. I think he's a very good writer but

I'm less impressed by his contentions and the support for them.

He won't be forgotten anytime soon.

I'm still reading the Pyramid Texts. :geek:

Hancock & Logic???? Joke of the year!!!!

Edited by The_Spartan
  • Like 2

I'm fascinated with a book called A Voyage to Arcturus, [David Lindsay]

I've read it quite a few times, although I still struggle to fully understand it...I re read it every few years..I've just picked it up a few days ago to give it another bash.

Short post on my recent reads.

If you are interesting in modern history, thriller and perhaps horror read this AMAZING author F.William Engdahl. Great reads.

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Money-Street-American-Century/dp/1615778055/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364511245&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Spectrum-Dominance-Totalitarian-Democracy/dp/1615776540/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364511245&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Century-War-Anglo-American-Politics-World/dp/074532309X/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364511245&sr=1-8

Century of war I and II.

Plus if you are interested in growth population and GMO then read his "Seed of destruction",

You can take UMer from UM but you cant take UM from Umer. :devil:

Just now got the pdf version of "Maps of Ancient Sea Kings" by Charles Hapgood.

I know its all baloney. but i am reading it for the maps.

Its got lots of them, rare ones too.

looking up the maps on google, and reading the actual material about the maps rather than the mish mash pseudo trash that hapgood writes about.

I am reading The Bible and a book called The Enchantress by Michael Scott that is part of a book series.

I guess I'm a fantasy guy too, can get enough of it :yes:

Currently, I'm on the third book in the series " A Song of Ice and Fire, A storm of swords" by George R,R Martin

I find it to be brilliant, the storyline, the characters, everything

And the way he turned the chapters into characters is amazing.

I know it's kinda "mainstream" but i really enjoy reading it :whistle:

Just now got the pdf version of "Maps of Ancient Sea Kings" by Charles Hapgood.

I know its all baloney. but i am reading it for the maps.

Its got lots of them, rare ones too.

looking up the maps on google, and reading the actual material about the maps rather than the mish mash pseudo trash that hapgood writes about.

Hapgood book is great book. Its pseudo trash to you because you never heard of term revisionist/historian.

You probably even think that Bering discover Bering strait.