Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cooking / Recipes

archernyc

LOL, I haven't checked in on this thread in a while and glad to see that it's still going. I think the love of good food is universal and it's interesting to see recipes from different cultures.

Thanks to all that have shared their favorites!

For those of you that like fish, here's a super easy one.

Nadia B.'s description about fresh fish above is right on the money and there is nothing worse than fish that has gone "off". Ugh! The reason that a lot of restaurants serve fish with lemon is to disguise the taste of bad fish. Anyway:

Grill/sear some fresh tuna. Serve with horseradish and chopped up tomatoes. That's it!

Edited by archernyc

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archernyc

• my_psychosis

• Persia

• rashore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL, I haven't checked in on this thread in a while and glad to see that it's still going. I think the love of good food is universal and it's interesting to see recipes from different cultures.

Thanks to all that have shared their favorites!

For those of you that like fish, here's a super easy one.

Nadia B.'s description about fresh fish above is right on the money and there is nothing worse than fish that has gone "off". Ugh! The reason that a lot of restaurants serve fish with lemon is to disguise the taste of bad fish. Anyway:

Grill/sear some fresh tuna. Serve with horseradish and chopped up tomatoes. That's it!

This sounds yummy. I have to try this.

I love to take salmon and spread garlic butter (heavy on the garlic because I love garlic) all over it. Sprinkle on some lemon juice, salt, pepper, and dill, Then fry, bake or grill.

I also love to take trout and smother it in butter and some salt. Wrap it in tinfoil then bury it in the hot coals of a fire. I first had this when I was about 8 years old and my Daddy took me fishing. Great memorys.

I love good food but I generally dislike cooking. I hate to make a mess in the kitchen with a lot of dishes. Also I get distracted easily. So if anyone has a recipe with 3 easily found ingredients, plus 3 or fewer steps, I'm interested.

I ate a lot of this when I was younger:

Pizza Toast.

1. Toast Bread

2. Add Spaghetti Sauce and shredded cheese.

3. Melt cheese in microwave.

Sad, but true.;)

Edited by little_dreamer

well.. grilled cheese is easy and a short ingredient list :) Most veggies are good to cook up without a lot of effort.

You might want to try looking under "three ingredient recipes" on the web.

I love good food but I generally dislike cooking. I hate to make a mess in the kitchen with a lot of dishes. Also I get distracted easily. So if anyone has a recipe with 3 easily found ingredients, plus 3 or fewer steps, I'm interested.

Here's a super easy one for you that I used to make back in college:

For each Triscuit, place one slice cheese of your choice and one slice of pepperoni. Back in the day, I used Velveeta (egads!), now I would probably use fresh mozzarella. Place in toaster oven until cheese is melted.

Here's another:

Cut eggplant into thin slices. Top each slice with prosciutto, mozzarella, basil leaf and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and place under the broiler til cheese is melted. Your guests will think you're a superstar. (If you cover your broiler pan with foil, the only "dish" you really have to clean is your knife! If you eat these with your fingers, you just need a napkin. LOL!)

and the easiest and best of all (summer is nearly here): heirloom tomatoes, sliced, with sliced mozzarella and fresh basil. Top with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve with crusty bread of your choice.

I love summer!

(Edited to add: I have never liked eggplant, but I love the dish above!!)

Edited by archernyc

Yes, all good ideas. :yes: I have done the grilled cheese a lot. I also like crostini - which is the marinated chopped tomatoes on toast. I did try eggplant the other day, but I didn't cook it long enough.

I like to mix cooked chopped spinach with shredded Italian cheese and garlic, to eat with crackers. Heat it up to melt the cheese. This is the low budget version of the fancy restaurant appetizer spinach dip.

Edited by little_dreamer

• 2 months later...

This sounds yummy. I have to try this.

I also love to take trout and smother it in butter and some salt. Wrap it in tinfoil then bury it in the hot coals of a fire. I first had this when I was about 8 years old and my Daddy took me fishing. Great memorys.

We used to do something like this when I was a kid. We lived on a lake and would sometimes catch catfish or large-mouthed bass. Similar to above, we would clean the fish then wrap it up in foil with some butter and put it on the hibachi. Nowadays, I would definitely add some herbs or spices.

I make something similar now:

Chilean Sea Bass

Melted butter

Either pure vanilla or vanilla bean

Place fish on large square of foil, drizzle melted butter over it till it's good an buttery. If you're using liquid vanilla, mix the vanilla with the melted butter before pouring on fish. If using the vanilla bean, just place it on top of the buttered fish. Close up the foil and cook for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Very delicate flavor!

Cut eggplant into thin slices. Top each slice with prosciutto, mozzarella, basil leaf and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and place under the broiler til cheese is melted. Your guests will think you're a superstar. (If you cover your broiler pan with foil, the only "dish" you really have to clean is your knife! If you eat these with your fingers, you just need a napkin. LOL!)

and the easiest and best of all (summer is nearly here): heirloom tomatoes, sliced, with sliced mozzarella and fresh basil. Top with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve with crusty bread of your choice.

I love summer!

(Edited to add: I have never liked eggplant, but I love the dish above!!)

You inspired me to try eggplant again and I tried your recipe...I still don't like it. :P

Sorry! Keep trying! I didn't like avocados until I was in my mid-40s. Your palate changes every 7 years (supposedly), so maybe down the road you'll decide you like eggplant.

So I enjoy cooking meals and have become good at it, but now I'm slowly trying my hand at desserts and baking. I was wondering if anyone had any good bread recipes or recommendations for ingredients to put in it? I've never made it before so I'll start simple, but I'd like to experiment with other ingredients as I get used to it.

I have a recipe for Savory Herbed Cheese Bread. Its really wonderful. Not too light but not heavy eaither.

Ingredients

1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

3 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons white sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons butter, softened

3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (or any cheese)

1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram

1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning

1 pkg active dry yeast (follow instructions on pkg)

Directions

Mix dry ingredients first, then add the prepared yeast. Lightly stir. next add all the liquid ingredients (you may need to add more flour). Next knead on a lightly floured surface (not too much or else it will make for a heavy bread). Put dough back into the lightly floured bowl, cover with a tea towel until dough doubles in size. punch back down and knead again. Put into a greased loaf pan and cover again until dough doubles.

Once dough is ready for the oven, I quickly brush melted butter on top and sprinkle garlic salt and add some grated cheese, this is all optional.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 mins.

post-112314-0-32103300-1311690951_thumb.

Lynn is the best !

Looks delicious Dice.

Maybe one day I'll share the recipe for my specialty, "glass of water". Always a winner when comes Summertime. :P

I've noticed that there are quite a few people talking about food on various threads - whether it's the best barbecue, or breadmaking tips, or whatever.

What's your favorite recipe?

Here's one that's very easy for what's been a very hot summer. I make the asparagus first thing in the morning while it's still cool outside and when dinnertime rolls around, I don't have to turn on the stove.

Salmon Roll-ups

1 pkg - sliced, smoked salmon

asparagus

Cream cheese with scallions & chives

Steam asparagus so that it's still firm then quickly put into ice-cold bath of water. Remove from ice-water and place in container that can be tightly sealed. Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or prepared salad dressing of your choice) and seal container. Let asparagus marinate at least a few hours - best if overnight.

Lay the salmon flat and spread about 2" from end with about a tbl. of cream cheese. Cut the asparagus into 1" sections and place four pieces (or however many you prefer) on the creamcheese at the tip of the salmon. Simply fold over and roll up completely, pop into your mouth and ENJOY! I sometimes add or substitute cucumber for the asparagus.

I like this one... anything with fresh salmon and asparagus is lovely...

I will ltry this...

***Anyone got any nice desert recipes? ***

Edited by Beckys_Mom

You inspired me to try eggplant again and I tried your recipe...I still don't like it. :P

Did you try this one? Simple and easy and sooo yummy. Slice the eggplant as thin as you want in any shape you want. Dredge it in seasoned flour. Flour with garlic powder, or basil, oregano, thyme, season all, cajun, ANY THING you like and fry it up in a little bit of olive oil, or butter, or margarine, or bake it. again what ever you like, it's real cool cause you pick the seasonings etc. Good for zucchini to.

Sorry! Keep trying! I didn't like avocados until I was in my mid-40s. Your palate changes every 7 years (supposedly), so maybe down the road you'll decide you like eggplant.

I agree. I hated peas, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms, growing up. Now I love them.

***Anyone got any nice desert recipes? ***

I do - what do you like? Chocolate? Fruit? Easy? Complicated? Dessert covers a huge range of recipes. In the meantime, I made a pie last Thanksgiving that everyone raved over. NOTE: I used fresh fruit except for the canned cherries: raspberries and included fresh blackberries too. I tried making this a second time using sugar instead of Splenda and it didn't turn out quite as well.

1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts

1 (14.5 ounce) can pitted tart red cherries, undrained

1 (12 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed

1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed

1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated

¼ cup cornstarch

2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Unroll and fit one piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.

Drain cherries, raspberries, and blueberries (if frozen), reserving 1 cup of the juices. Set berries and juice aside.

Combine SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in reserved juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and reserved fruit. Cool slightly and spoon mixture into pie shell.

Unroll remaining piecrust; roll to ⅛-inch thickness: place over filling. Fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with a scoop of frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt, if desired.

I do - what do you like? Chocolate? Fruit? Easy? Complicated? Dessert covers a huge range of recipes. In the meantime, I made a pie last Thanksgiving that everyone raved over. NOTE: I used fresh fruit except for the canned cherries: raspberries and included fresh blackberries too. I tried making this a second time using sugar instead of Splenda and it didn't turn out quite as well.

1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts

1 (14.5 ounce) can pitted tart red cherries, undrained

1 (12 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed

1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed

1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated

¼ cup cornstarch

2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Unroll and fit one piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.

Drain cherries, raspberries, and blueberries (if frozen), reserving 1 cup of the juices. Set berries and juice aside.

Combine SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in reserved juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and reserved fruit. Cool slightly and spoon mixture into pie shell.

Unroll remaining piecrust; roll to ⅛-inch thickness: place over filling. Fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with a scoop of frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt, if desired.

Sounds good.. I like fruit in deserts.. I have a blackberry bush in my back garden... I was thinking of making home-made blackberry jam ( jelly) ..... I have this copied and pasted in to a folder.. Thank you again

Another easy dessert, I posted in the Canadians thread. My friends and I made Southern Comfort poached peaches which you serve warm over vanilla ice cream. Soooo good!

Spoon these plump, juicy peaches and some syrup over vanilla ice cream, sweetened sour cream, waffles, or pancakes. I think it would also be good with mascarpone cheese.

INGREDIENTS:

4 pounds peaches (about 12)

2 1/2 cups sugar

2 vanilla beans, split and scraped, pods reserved

1 cup Southern Comfort (or bourbon of your choice)

STEPS:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. Cut a small X into the bottom of each peach. Boil peaches for 1 minute.

2. Transfer to ice-water bath. Let cool slightly. Peel and pit peaches, and cut into 3/4" thick wedges. If you aren't able to peel the peaches easily, drop them back into the boiling water for about 10 sec.

3. Bring 4 cups water, the sugar, and vanilla seeds and pods to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add peaches and bourbon. Simmer until peaches are tender but still hold their shape, 5 to 7 minutes.

4. Transfer peaches to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. (We poured through a mesh strainer) Cook remaining syrup over medium heat until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Pour over peaches and let cool completely. Note: if you want a syrupy liquid, do NOT reduce the sugar. We reduced the sugar by half and the liquid was very watery.

5. Divide peaches among five 12-ou. sterilized jars using a slotted spoon. (Jars can be sterilized by boiling in water, submerged, for 10 minutes.) Pour syrup over tops, leaving 1/2" of headspace at the top of the jar. Add vanilla pods to jars if desired. Seal jars and process. (If you don't want to keep the peaches for a long time, just put in the fridge and they'll last 30 days)

• 1 month later...

Here's another great recipe for Deconstructed Eggplant Parmesan. Yummy and easy (and I don't even like eggplant). I added a roasted red pepper to the tomato sauce.

1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling

5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled

4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved

4 sprigs fresh oregano

3 sprigs fresh basil

5 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated

1/4 cup panko

1/3 cup ricotta cheese

2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese

5 large basil leaves, for garnish

Directions:

To prepare the eggplant, sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand, in a colander, about 20 minutes; drain, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.

Heat some of the oil in a large skillet, over medium high heat, and cook eggplant, undisturbed, until golden, about 4 minutes; flip and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes (you'll need to do this in a single layer and in batches).

Drain eggplant on paper toweling; repeat until all the eggplant is cooked.

Turn heat down to medium, add 3 tablespoons of oil and add 4 garlic cloves; cook until golden, about 2 minutes.

Add tomatoes and oregano; cook, breaking up the tomatoes, until they start form a sauce, about 15 minutes.

Add basil and 4 tablespoons Parmesan; simmer 5 minutes more.

Meanwhile, heat a small skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, mince the remaining garlic and add to the skillet, along with the bread crumbs; toast, stirring, until bread crumbs just start to brown, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon Parmesan; season with a pinch of salt.

To serve, arrange eggplant on a large oven-proof platter and spoon dollops of ricotta over, then top with sauce; scatter bread crumb mixture over sauce, top with mozzarella and Parmesan, garnish with basil leaves. Heat up in the oven until the cheeses are melted.