Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists think they have found Atlantis

SunDogDayze

Apparently some US scientists have found ruins of a city in the mud flats of Spain that they believe are what's left of Atlantis after a tsunami wiped it out.

Interesting!

MSNBC Science Article

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Taita

• questionmark

• cormac mac airt

Wow...that's really cool. Who knows what they'll find, sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime for archaeologists if it's actually the real deal.

The ruins in the swamps by Cadiz, Spain have been a popular guess for Atlantis since the 1920s.

Before that, Historian Adolf Schulten had stated in the 1920's that Plato had used Tartessos as the basis for his Atlantis myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/8381219/Lost-city-of-Atlantis-buried-in-Spanish-wetlands.html

For every "pro" of a new idea there will always be a gazillion of "cons" by individual who are disturbed by new concepts because history would have to be re-written.

Edited by Paracelse

Well that's like the 12th time in the last years that someone thinks that he found the Atlantis.

Summertime and news are rare... Atlantis is hopping and Niburu not far....

Last night on Nat Geo were showing that very thing, sadly its to expensive to dig as there's water layers between the rocks. From all the shows and stuff I've seen, this was the best maybe evidence of something that might be Atlantis.

This is old news, plus the little figures they found were dated to the roman era if i remember right.

quite so, but hardly adequate for headlines...

Looking at that computer graphic, doesn't seem to fit what Ive heard and seen on some documentarys. I was always under the impression that Atlantis was an Island...I could be wrong tho, was what I thought tho :/

Edited by Jaygatz

Looking at that computer graphic, doesn't seem to fit what Ive heard and seen on some documentarys. I was always under the impression that Atlantis was an Island...I could be wrong tho, was what I thought tho :/

There is no description of what Atlantis was, only interpretations. And it seems that nobody notices the fact that Plato was talking much more about political models than about geographic locations.

For every "pro" of a new idea there will always be a gazillion of "cons" by individual who are disturbed by new concepts because history would have to be re-written.

I second that!!

I have seriously come to believe history is NOT as we have been told, as tho the real situation on just about everything is most certainly not what we are supposed to believe. College should never have forced me to read Herodotus. Reading him opened my eyes and made me assess all motivations behind reporting.

Edited by regeneratia

I second that!!

I have seriously come to believe history is NOT as we have been told, as tho the real situation on just about everything is most certainly not what we are supposed to believe. College should never have forced me to read Herodotus. Reading him opened my eyes and made me assess all motivations behind reporting.

Yes. History is a construct designed to support the current status quo.

The first thing zealots and despots do when they take over is rewrite history.

The article provides no evidence so is simply supposition at this point.

I think it would be great if they did find it.

I think it would be great if they did find it.

We all do. I won't be convinced unless they find a welcome to Atlantis sigh or whatever!

Edit: Sign not sigh! Sigh!

Edited by Spectre1979

We all do. I won't be convinced unless they find a welcome to Atlantis sigh or whatever!

Is it the size of "Libya and Asia" combined?

Nah.

People read Plato's story about Atlantis.

Many of them love to twist what's known and accepted about ancient history because they are bored with this accepted view.

They need tension, stress, a high blood pressure, something to worry about (aside from what the next episode of their favorite sitcom will bring).

They love to read about truelly amazing ancient civilizations because they once watched a SciFi/fantasy movie about it.

And when they watch that movie, they think, "Hmmm, there must be some truth in it, it can't be all a lie?".......

NO, there isn't anything 'in it', it was just created for your ENTERTAINMENT, you morons.

Same with the books written by Sitchin and Von Däniken, and by rectum talkers like a Jane Roberts, Edgar Cayce, Helena Blavatsky, Churchward....

+++++

People nowadays are afraid we will be killed by some rogue asteroid or some rogue planet ("Nibiru", heh).

Don't you worry about all that, we are perfectly able to kill ourselves, believing in this crap. We do not need help from 'outside'.

Religious institutions were capable of killing, wars were capable, politics were capable of it, virusses were....

History is written by the victor, those with the biggest spear or gun ar not generally those with with biggest microscope. Lawyers only argue their clients side, they don;t tell the whole truth, court cases are won by the biggest liar. Popularity is gained by sharing what you have with everyone, but you can't give day after day if you don't have a way of taking it back. Power, greed and politics tell a version of history that suggest the books were written to convince rather than report the truth.

I wrote an article that Atlantis was not destroyed in a single day/night as Plato describes, but by a continuous influx of immigrates that eventually altered the culture to such a degree, Atlantis' true culture was lost.

I wrote an article that Atlantis was not destroyed in a single day/night as Plato describes, but by a continuous influx of immigrates that eventually altered the culture to such a degree, Atlantis' true culture was lost.

Atlantis' culture never existed.

Atlantis' culture never existed.

I agree. But I do however believe it is likely that a culture existed in which the myth of Atlantis was born from. Such as the Philistines, as told by the Ancient Hebrews, or the Sea Peoples, that were described by the Ancient Egyptians.

Too bad that there wasn't GPS in Plato's day. Then we would have known exactly where Atlantis was :lol: