Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Battlefield 3

arglebargle

I hope silencers are an optional extra instead of mandatory for the engineer.

It kind of annoyed my that an explosives spelialst lugging a large anti-tank/air asset weapon was forced to used a silenced gun.

Some more variety in terms of scopes/sights would be nice, as well as magazine sizes/upgrades. Bad Company 2 was great apart from a few things, comparative lack of customiseation being the main one.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arglebargle

• __Kratos__

• DigitalDreamer

• WoIverine

How is fps entertaining on console? I have never been able to see this point of view. Ever. Aiming on console is horrible. Just like sports games of most descriptions are horrible on pc.

You can be on a couch instead of hunched over at your pc chair,Aside from being more comfortable Its just loads easier to get into.Its also not going to break your bank just to afford the right things to make your game work correctly

It kind of annoyed my that an explosives spelialst lugging a large anti-tank/air asset weapon was forced to used a silenced gun.

Some more variety in terms of scopes/sights would be nice, as well as magazine sizes/upgrades. Bad Company 2 was great apart from a few things, comparative lack of customiseation being the main one.

You're gonna find a lot of customization in BF3 from what the devs say. More options in customizing, multiple types of ammunition to choose from, i'm guessing more scopes, i hope most weapons come with an attachable / detachable silencer in the kit, so that if you need to go silent you can press a key to equip the silencer, like the pointman class in Alliance of Valiant Arms.

You can be on a couch instead of hunched over at your pc chair,Aside from being more comfortable Its just loads easier to get into.Its also not going to break your bank just to afford the right things to make your game work correctly

As far as comfort goes, for gaming I feel nothing beats a good chair, myself. My own couch is uncomfortable as hell, and so are my chairs. But thats only because my old office chair broke and i cba replacing it.

Still, most games are best on pc in my opinion, since the mouse is especially well suited for aiming, much more so than a joystick or buttons like you have on console controllers. It's easier to move the cursor faster and more precisely. Which is in large part the major components of fps gaming. Additionally you have more keys which means you can in theory have more functions without starting to go into complex key combos, and you can upgrade your pc as long as you can afford it, which means that the games are not going to have to conform to the limits of the console it's being developed for. You'll have a much harder time driving progress when you're locked to one particular spec setup. Additionally you can use the PC for a whole bunch of other tasks as well - modern consoles can be used for more than just gaming too, often as media centers for example, but PC's have a much wider field of use still. So it's usefulness vastly expands beyond gaming. Some think that this is the problem with PC's vs Consoles as far as gaming is concerned, but to me it's a definite plus.

I do not find sportsgames enjoyable on PC however. There's something about the grip on a controller that makes fighting games, racing games, and other sports related games much easier to handle with a controller as opposed to the keyboard, whereas RTS and FPS has a definite edge on pc over console. All the other genres I consider pretty much equally decent on both platforms.

I only get fps's on console now.

Once you get used to it, you can control a fps games just was well with a controler as you can with a mouse and keyboard, in fact in terms of movement, i find it far more comfortable and easier.

Xbox live has, for the most part, way less lag and generally far more stable online play than msot pc games.

On the otherhand for stratagey, simulation and rpg games I would only ever use a pc, as you cant get the pinpoint control and hot-key's needed on a controller.

Once you get used to it, you can control a fps games just was well with a controler as you can with a mouse and keyboard, in fact in terms of movement, i find it far more comfortable and easier.

Xbox live has, for the most part, way less lag and generally far more stable online play than msot pc games.

On the otherhand for stratagey, simulation and rpg games I would only ever use a pc, as you cant get the pinpoint control and hot-key's needed on a controller.

I agree,Halo Wars did the best it could but i dont think any RTS is going ever be up to par on a console.Aside from that I agree with what you said :geek:

I like the silencer. Helps me move forward with less detection. You only really fire your rockets at campers and trucks/tanks anyways so that extra stealth to get into position is nice.

Silencer is seemly optional though in bf3:

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/25/battleblog-8-build-your-weapon-of-choice.aspx

Explaining the customizations upcoming. ^

According to Sood's sources, Microsoft was working on a project that would have allowed PC and Xbox gamers to compete with each other online. This endeavor was reportedly a secret one, and it was undertaken "many many months ago," possibly with the original Xbox rather than the 360. There was only one problem: even "mediocre" PC gamers had little problem mopping the floor with the very best from the console crowd.

Microsoft equipped the console folks with a standard controller and let PC users play with a keyboard and mouse. Combine that with shooters like Gears of War and Unreal, the two games named by Sood's post, and the outcome of this cross-platform experiment is hardly surprising. As PC gamers have known for years, the precision and responsiveness offered by console controllers pales in comparison to the tried and true keyboard and mouse. All the skill in the world is going to have a hard time overcoming a sub-par input device.

Source

------------------

You can just aim straighter, faster and tap fire better with a mouse then some controller. If you look at the aim assists in the consoles for bad company 2 it's hilarious. The only reason console noobs think for a second they're better is because gaming companies give them that aim assist to make them think they're good so they'll keep playing.

Man, I wish in a real game the hitbox on a helio was the size of a barn or someone's head was really the size of a car door. :P

Edited by __Kratos__

I did not say that I was better using a controller than a person was using a mouse and keyboard, I said that with a bit of practice using a controller provides a smooth and accessible gaming experiance, and seeing as all the other console playrs are using a controller, an even playing field.

I sued to Play AVP on pc, I took part in EU tournies, I was good, dam good, one of the best Alien players, period. So i am well aware of how precise you can be with a mouse and board. Its just that many fps games need huge grunt in regards to hardware, I would rater buy an xbox game that guarantees 100% that I can play it, and have a smooth, non-lag-ridden online expoeriance.

I like the silencer. Helps me move forward with less detection. You only really fire your rockets at campers and trucks/tanks anyways so that extra stealth to get into position is nice.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/08/25/battleblog-8-build-your-weapon-of-choice.aspx

According to Sood's sources, Microsoft was working on a project that would have allowed PC and Xbox gamers to compete with each other online. This endeavor was reportedly a secret one, and it was undertaken "many many months ago," possibly with the original Xbox rather than the 360. There was only one problem: even "mediocre" PC gamers had little problem mopping the floor with the very best from the console crowd.

Microsoft equipped the console folks with a standard controller and let PC users play with a keyboard and mouse. Combine that with shooters like Gears of War and Unreal, the two games named by Sood's post, and the outcome of this cross-platform experiment is hardly surprising. As PC gamers have known for years, the precision and responsiveness offered by console controllers pales in comparison to the tried and true keyboard and mouse. All the skill in the world is going to have a hard time overcoming a sub-par input device.

Source

------------------

You can just aim straighter, faster and tap fire better with a mouse then some controller. If you look at the aim assists in the consoles for bad company 2 it's hilarious. The only reason console noobs think for a second they're better is because gaming companies give them that aim assist to make them think they're good so they'll keep playing.

Man, I wish in a real game the hitbox on a helio was the size of a barn or someone's head was really the size of a car door. :P

I did not say that I was better using a controller than a person was using a mouse and keyboard, I said that with a bit of practice using a controller provides a smooth and accessible gaming experiance, and seeing as all the other console playrs are using a controller, an even playing field.

I sued to Play AVP on pc, I took part in EU tournies, I was good, dam good, one of the best Alien players, period. So i am well aware of how precise you can be with a mouse and board. Its just that many fps games need huge grunt in regards to hardware, I would rater buy an xbox game that guarantees 100% that I can play it, and have a smooth, non-lag-ridden online expoeriance.

Edited by Wyrdlight

So what you're saying is that using a controller is okay as long as everyone else uses one too. Isn't that a bit like the paralympics? It's okay to be wheelchair bound as long as the other people competing also are wheelchairbound?

I mean, if you haven't got a chance in hell against a computer player with equal skill, then theres something wrong with playing that game using the systme you're using, which has been my point all along. Sure you CAN play it on consoles, but it feels a lot slower and it's such a handicap to my performance. I cannot aim as fast as I know I could with a keyboard or a mouse, nor as accurately. Nor do I feel movement is as effortless as with keyboard and mouse, and this article just supports it - despite everyone having the same disadvantage, that doesn't change the fact that it's a disadvantage that in my eyes (and the eyes of most other computer players I know) would really stifle the whole experience.

Source

------------------

That article was suprisingly biased in favor of the pc :geek:

Could we please keep the PC vs Console debate to a minimum? It's not like the internet has enough of those already, you know.

I'll just post my stance on the subject:

*Warning: This Web Comic Contains Strong Language*

My link

Back on topic of BF3... I hope the weapon customization doesn't get out of hand like it did in Bad Company 2.(I mean, the PP2000 is just a stupid gun to put a X4 scope on.)

Also, I hope the weapons have a unique feel to each of them. It was annoying how in BC2 every weapon felt very similar to each other, even between the classes... Hopefully, though, DICE will make all the right changes and make an epic multiplayer FPS for the ages!

Back on topic of BF3... I hope the weapon customization doesn't get out of hand like it did in Bad Company 2.(I mean, the PP2000 is just a stupid gun to put a X4 scope on.)

Also, I hope the weapons have a unique feel to each of them. It was annoying how in BC2 every weapon felt very similar to each other, even between the classes... Hopefully, though, DICE will make all the right changes and make an epic multiplayer FPS for the ages!

the 4x scope on the pp2000 wasnt too bad actually, not if you coupled it with the -25% bullet spread upgrade, which means it's really quick, silent and long range, allowing you to place chest / head shots quickly and be relatively certain your hits are gonna land. That said, it wouldn't be my primary choice. When going Engineer I prefer the UZI, WWII M1911 .45 sidearm, M136 AT4, additional explosives pouch, improved explosives upgrade, and vehicle smoke loadout, that way I can focus on vehicle gameplay, but still hold my own fairly well against infantry as well. I try not to rely on tracer darts + rpg7 for the reason that tracers can be dropped by smoke counters, and you need to land a dart first, which at any rate reduces your survival odds against other infantry. I find the sidearm to be very accurate and powerful even at long ranges, whereas the smg is best suited for ambushes of small groups in medium to close range, though they eat ammunition, so a powerful sidearm is a good bonus there.

Most likely however, you'll be more interested in using some of the other unlocks rather than scopes this time. You will be able to modify weapon barrels, add or remove silencers, change ammunition type, grip and so on to balance out your weapon.

Also, I'd love to see a sawn off double barrel shotgun, or flareguns or smoke launchers and so on as viable sidearms. Also I want the tracer gun to carry on into BF3 - and allow airplanes and helis to lock onto it as in BFBC2 (in case you did not know, attack choppers with vehicle alternative fire unlocks could lock onto tracer darts and launch a powerful missile against it - I imagine something similar with jets will be available.

I'd definetely love to see a better damage system in BF3, losing movement speed when shot in the leg for example, losing accuracy when shot in arm, definetely liked the vision blurring and cluttering with blood in bfbc2 when shot, because it helped you feel like your character was actually hurt, which added a little something to the whole game experience.

Can't wait for BF3 :>

I am interested as to how players will be able to counter jets and helocopters.

Tracer darts are all well and good, but vs a skilled pilot, almost impossble to hit with.

Some auto-locking fire and forget type shoulder-mounted weapons are needed, that dont need a tracer lock.

I am interested as to how players will be able to counter jets and helocopters.

Tracer darts are all well and good, but vs a skilled pilot, almost impossble to hit with.

Some auto-locking fire and forget type shoulder-mounted weapons are needed, that dont need a tracer lock.

I think there is a SAM (surface to air missile) launching vehicle or some type of AA gun. I have seen the list of vehicles and weapons but I forgot what it was. I'll try to find it to add it to this thread.

I think there is a SAM (surface to air missile) launching vehicle or some type of AA gun. I have seen the list of vehicles and weapons but I forgot what it was. I'll try to find it to add it to this thread.

Yes, there is an anti aircraft vehicle for each team, which traditionally in battlefield has had coaxial view which allows you to aim just about anywhere except straight down under the tank, so it's very easy to operate and usually locks on to the planes heat source. Not sure how they will do things for BF3, but I imagine it'll be the same.

Sorry about the doublepost, can't edit the previous one due to the fact that it was posted too long ago. Anyhow:

"Caspian Border" trailer analyzed and with commentary.

seal-of-approval-5605.jpg

Here is links to the vehicles, weapons and classes:

Vehicles

Weapons

Classes

This is the anti Air vehicles:

tunguska.jpg

9K22 Tunguska

battlefield-3-lav25-ad.jpg

LAV 25 AD (Air Defense) The normal LAV 25 is in there as well, which is the stryker.

That is very true,The only games a pc should be used for is minecraft:innocent:

I like the feeling of not attending the paralympics when playing games. I find controllers inhibit my ability to perform, so it's comparable to being wheelchairbound and in the paralympics - everyone has the same handicap, but it's still a pretty massive handicap.

:innocent:

I kind of agree,RTS games are super entertaining but minecraft?...really?