Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The shuttles replacement unveiled

septic peg

Nasa unveils Space Launch System vision

Quote: "Nasa's top official, General Charles Bolden, hails the beginning of the post-shuttle era

The design for a huge rocket to take humans to asteroids and Mars has been unveiled by the US space agency Nasa.

The Space Launch System (SLS), as it is currently known, will be the most powerful launcher ever built - more powerful even than the Saturn V rockets that put men on the Moon.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14915725

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WoIverine

• Trog

• Robbie333

• Mr Supertypo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And everyone made it sound like NASA was finished. :P

Can't wait until they get these new missions up and running.

Rockets again I guess. I thought Branson was engineering a space plane or something capable of breaking orbit for his tours? I don't even remember fully reading the article, will have to track that down.

Rockets again I guess. I thought Branson was engineering a space plane or something capable of breaking orbit for his tours? I don't even remember fully reading the article, will have to track that down.

That was not a space plane but more like a tourist version of the US but much higher altitude.

The rocket would be the most powerful since the Saturn V that took Americans to the moon four decades ago. NASA expects that it could lift astronauts on deep-space missions farther than anyone has ever traveled.

“We’re investing in technologies to live and work in space, and it sets the stage for visiting asteroids and Mars,” the NASA administrator, Major General Charles F. Bolden Jr., said at a news conference.

In an effort to speed development and control costs, the design is based on pieces from the just-retired space shuttles. The first stage would essentially be an elongated shuttle fuel tank, and it would use the same rocket engines. For the initial test flights, solid rocket boosters — stretched versions of the shuttle boosters — would be strapped on to provide additional thrust.

NY Times article

Edited by archernyc

Unless it's fully funded by private enterprise ... it's just a colossal waste of public money , money that should be spent on more urgent undertakings at home .

Of course this might just be total speculation or wishful thinking by those who worked within the space program , men and women who aren't looking forward to working in the private sector again ?

Nasa unveils Space Launch System vision

Quote: "Nasa's top official, General Charles Bolden, hails the beginning of the post-shuttle era

The design for a huge rocket to take humans to asteroids and Mars has been unveiled by the US space agency Nasa.

The Space Launch System (SLS), as it is currently known, will be the most powerful launcher ever built - more powerful even than the Saturn V rockets that put men on the Moon.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-14915725

I am glad to hear this news. I heard it today on public radio. I thought all was lost but alas, we do have some sense. We must keep the space program going.

The agency says the first launch of the SLS is expected to take place towards the end The agency says the first launch of the SLS is expected to take place towards the end of 2017.

So we're looking at 2020 or later for the first launch.

It looks like they've strapped the shuttle boosters onto the side of an Saturn rocket.

Well its back to the Old School ! But at least ITs Flying again ! ANd Much safer than the Shuttles I guess? 1 in 200 opposed to 1 in 2,000 for the Rocket ! :innocent:

post-68971-0-82287900-1316053800_thumb.j

Further billions spent on developing a system based on chemical rockets, when some here would have us believe that mankind is already capable of interplanetary travel using alien-derived exotic propulsions - that's one expensive smokescreen...

This looks like Atlas V or Delta IV pumped up this 2011 not 1967 enough with stupid dangeous rockets lets move on to something better and safer how about a vehicles with a force field to replace the heat shield something new please and different.

Further billions spent on developing a system based on chemical rockets, when some here would have us believe that mankind is already capable of interplanetary travel using alien-derived exotic propulsions - that's one expensive smokescreen...

Yeah...just kind of seems like we're going in reverse here. I'm all for NASA and the space program, but can't we dump more of that money into R & D and tackle this antigrav, propulsion thing? I've seen so many theories about it lately on how it's done, lets start building and testing. :P

I like this design far better than "The Stick". Though putting the engines at the bottom of the fuel tanks is going to be interesting to see how they do it.

And as for the "Nay" posts. All I have to say is , " This is Reality , not T.V.!"

I like this design far better than "The Stick". Though putting the engines at the bottom of the fuel tanks is going to be interesting to see how they do it.

And as for the "Nay" posts. All I have to say is , " This is Reality , not T.V.!"

:tu: :tu: :tu:

This looks like Atlas V or Delta IV pumped up this 2011 not 1967 enough with stupid dangeous rockets lets move on to something better and safer how about a vehicles with a force field to replace the heat shield something new please and different.

Yeah...just kind of seems like we're going in reverse here. I'm all for NASA and the space program, but can't we dump more of that money into R & D and tackle this antigrav, propulsion thing? I've seen so many theories about it lately on how it's done, lets start building and testing. :P

I had seen the hype on the "Orion" stuff a while back and thought.......Wonderful! We are doing something new and awesome. Now I'm just disappointed - I agree with you guys/gals -- chemical rockets?, really? We gotta have some more advanced ideas than that to spend billions on. I find myself kinda bummed now, cause that's definitely not how NASA portrayed Orion. And I was hoping they were UNDERstating. Shoulda known.

Edited by Taut

I am glad to see that NASA are using the design of a previous successful rocket, the Saturn was a great rocket, and is still used in many parts of the world. Though all they seem to have done to it is add 2 SRB's to the Side. Despite the fact that the Saturn V has 5 SRB's.

I really hope you know what your doing NASA, it was a really big mistake to retire the Shuttle.

Chemical rockets arent going to open up our solar system. Lets face it once a engine is made to go interplanetary the whole game changes. Chemicals rockets can only do so much. We need trips to the planets that take days not months or years. Nasa should be focused on the next technology and a spaceship. Capsules and Apollo again after 40 years seems stagnate at best.

I know one thing. The results of space exploration are there for all of humanity to see, but the money comes from the pockets of the taxpayers of only one country, and that's not the one I'm in. Not that I pay tax. The idea of working for 3 whole months for free every year is not something I wish to make a part of my own life any time soon. Keep up the good job there in the US.

the shuttle were retired before they had a replacement, that is due to the Clinton, Bush and Obama, administrations. Bush wanted to push forward, but Congress, regardless of the Fact that is was Republican, decided it was not worth the effort, Before 9/11/01, so...

NASA is at least using a tried and true method to keep us in earth orbit, and soon perhaps back on the Moon, which is step one to going further to say Mars or the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. From my understanding these are just to get stuff into Low Earth Orbit, from there the really impressive engines and vehicles can be built, though this is still a couple decades away (I hope).

I'm very happy to see this! I was beginning to wonder is the US was getting ready to quit space altogether.

I understand the desire for more advances propulsion systems. While I think the anti-gravity idea is just silly, there are some systems that Nasa would do well to build, test and deploy (Nuclear propulsion, another craft with ion drive, solar sail, space plane ramjet, etc). Nasa has gotten very conservative with technology, and that is a bit of a shame: as part of the reason the civilian spaceflight agency was concieved was to lead the way in aerospace development. Still, very happy to see this (it looks like the main booster for Orion).

Aw man... I thought that it had said "Space LUNCH Program." Now I'm bummed.

A total waste of money , but it's your money not mine , and if you want to see social programs suffer through lack of funding then that's good too , because ultimately it'll be you who suffers .