Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Mars was earthlike for a few hours a day'

bouncer

snip: Mars once had 'earthlike' conditions for at least a few hours a day, according to new research.

The findings make it more plausible that the planet could have supported life, though if the warm temperatures were only temporary that still remains unlikely.

Nonetheless, the pioneering findings were described as 'remarkable' and 'really cool' by one of the study's authors".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2048512/Mars-earthlike-hours-day-Martian-landscape-warmer-thought--supported-life.html

snip: Mars once had 'earthlike' conditions for at least a few hours a day, according to new research.

The findings make it more plausible that the planet could have supported life, though if the warm temperatures were only temporary that still remains unlikely.

Nonetheless, the pioneering findings were described as 'remarkable' and 'really cool' by one of the study's authors".

http://www.dailymail...orted-life.html

Hi Bouncer,

I think many believe that Mars could have supported life at some point and maybe even can now for some extremophiles. Thus the reason to send probes to Mars to have a look.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

I think we are just beginning to scratch the surface (literally and figuratively) of what Mars can teach us about life there and everywhere in the universe.

I think we are just beginning to scratch the surface (literally and figuratively) of what Mars can teach us about life there and everywhere in the universe.

I agree!

Cheers,

Badeskov

Hypothetically...and really...just for fun,

what if we do discover life on Mars ...is or was - the same as is currently, or was historically, on earth.. meaning that all life - everywhere - is virtually the same!?!? That there are no grey little aliens, only some planets that progressed from the basic designs, while other planets almost did....but changed and became dead worlds instead? What if any building blocks of life found extraterrestrialy, were all the same...? What then?

Edited by bouncer

Hypothetically...and really...just for fun,

what if we do discover life on Mars ...is or was - the same as is currently, or was historically, on earth.. meaning that all life - everywhere - is virtually the same!?!? That there are no grey little aliens, only some planets that progressed from the basic designs, while other planets almost did....but changed and became dead worlds instead?

Hi Bouncer,

If I may add my two cents although I was not the one you were adressing.

it is my belief that most scientists working in this field actually think it highly likely that life has been thriving on Mars and maybe still is is in some pockets. That said, I also think that higher order organisms never had a chance to evolve on Mars.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Hi Bouncer,

If I may add my two cents although I was not the one you were adressing.

it is my belief that most scientists working in this field actually think it highly likely that life has been thriving on Mars and maybe still is is in some pockets. That said, I also think that higher order organisms never had a chance to evolve on Mars.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Hey Badeskov

Yeh I like to think exactly what you stated too, and one of my wishes is they'd send a rover near where those suspicious looking 'trees and vegetative spots' are.. to get a closer ground based looks and analysis. So in about 6 months when the rover sets down and starts beaming back data, we all just have to wait.

Id reckon, if ever there was a time to reveal that life is found, even microbial, then its about now, (or once that rover starts its work anyway). Then we can all cheer, say lots of WTF's, and know for sure that microbes exists on mars.. but still be none the wiser or better off for that knowledge....

But then it'd be another mission.. god knows when in the future or by which country... for a scoop and return mission to 'see' first hand what the findings are. As for Clintons statement about the microbe in that meteorite years ago...praps thats the closest to disclosure thus far...a primer...for what WILL be revealed next time? Fingers always crossed

Cheers

I hope one day they do find some sort of life on another planet and I hope its unlike any sort of life discovered so far.

I'm pretty convinced there are some surprises Mars has yet to offer. I don't know what to make of claims that NASA has not been forthcoming about a lot of things in the space program. I hope NASA does release any discoveries that would be considered "shocking" to some.

I'm pretty convinced there are some surprises Mars has yet to offer. I don't know what to make of claims that NASA has not been forthcoming about a lot of things in the space program. I hope NASA does release any discoveries that would be considered "shocking" to some.

Reckon you're right. Some discoveries may 'shock' some folk, but I reckon they're the ones who don't care to inform themselves by attending forums such as these. At least like minded people 'gather' in places like this, so it may not shock 'us lot' - at all !!

We've heard news of water ice, water vapour in the atmosphere, and methane being produced on Mars in the last of couple years!! ....Hello?

Seems about right for 'something' to exist. The evidence of methane is the boost!!

Seems likely to me evidence of life will be discovered and disclosed, the time is right for that isnt it? besides disclosing microbial life would hardly freak anyone would it?

We really need to send people to Mars. There is a limit to what probes can find. We probably gotta dig quite deep to find something. And cover a lot more ground.

if this was true, then perhaps is unlikely that intelligent life ever existed there. But would be interesting to excavate there or at least see some sonar results of whats buried.

We really need to send people to Mars. There is a limit to what probes can find. We probably gotta dig quite deep to find something. And cover a lot more ground.

And in time that is the goal. There are plans being drawn up all the time, theories being worked out, NASA even sponsors 'others' to come up with designs for inflatable habitats to enable astronauts to live on Mars etc...

.....but you cannot run till at least your able to walk properly!! We will get there...only a matter of time and money

I agree, unfortunately I don't think it will happen anytime soon. At least not for a few decades or more. Compared to going to the moon, Mars is a far greater challenge and we are no where close to having a real functioning model of how to get humans there safely. There are many proposed ways of doing it but the devil is in the details. I'm not aware of any plans to go to Mars that are doable with our current technology.

I think that some scientist got tired of looking at all those phoney pictures of the Arizona desert and wanted to see the real thing. So they went to their public library and found evidence of Martian life in such publications as National Geographic Sept. 1955 edition showing Mars with large green areas which they say was vegetation and "icy blue clouds"

So here is the evidence that Martian life exists. So instead of spending billions on research they found a free source in the library. They save the tax payers a lot of money.

I think that some scientist got tired of looking at all those phoney pictures of the Arizona desert and wanted to see the real thing. So they went to their public library and found evidence of Martian life in such publications as National Geographic Sept. 1955 edition showing Mars with large green areas which they say was vegetation and "icy blue clouds"

So here is the evidence that Martian life exists. So instead of spending billions on research they found a free source in the library. They save the tax payers a lot of money.

Huh?! This makes no sense whatsoever...

Huh?! This makes no sense whatsoever...

It doesnt really does it, back to conspiracy theories again.

What I believe Mike was getting at, was that in the 1955, the Nat Geo did an article on a chap who 'believed'...that as he'd seen dark spots appear on Mars, he assumed it was evidence of vegetation. (A bit like when UK astronomer Patrick Moore said he saw a bridge appear overnight in a crater on the moon)

snip: "This event is certainly remarkable, but it is unlikely that scientists will accept the suggestion that the appearance of this spot is evidence of vegetable life on the planet. Professor Znedik Kopal of Manchester University said last night that the claim "must be taken with a pinch of salt." The difficulty is that there are at least two ways of accounting for the appearance of dark spots on the surface of the planet and simple photography of them cannot decide between the two theories"

see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2011/sep/19/archive-evidence-of-plant-life-on-mars

But then Mike needs to really think of earth based photographic abilities in 1955 before leaping to conclusions and making very BOLD statements that the library's have archived PROOF of like in Mars in 1955... :tu:

Edited by bouncer

Morning

So curious was I about Mikes statements of life being observed from Mars pics in 1955, even tho I already partially debunked his theory above, Ive found some news paper clippings from 1955, which would suggest... the dark spots that the above astronomer/scientist took for life, WERE in fact just smudges. read it and weep..

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=C6IiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uqoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2832,1120566&dq=mars+photographs+-1955&hl=en

and 1969

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wD1PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KyQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6822,2903771&dq=mars+photographs+-1955&hl=en

Sorry Mike. (again) but as others have pointed out, some research by you is lacking bud. The above news links took me a whole 60 seconds to find, I considered that a bit of an effort too, as usually I find stuff lots quicker...so...No offence of course....but please provide a link/evidence when making bold claims??.

Edited by bouncer

I would like to send the picture to this site, but I have problems with my computer. However, I will, again, quote the caption under the photograph which shows Mars about 3 inches in diameter. You will not find this picture on the net,:

GREEN PATCHES SPLOTCH THE RED FACE OF MARS

From Bloemfontein, South Africa, the National Geographic Lowell Observatory Mars expedition last summer took 20,000 photographs of the planet ON WHICH LIFE AS WE KNOW IT IS MOST LIKELY TO EXIST. Here Mars...reveals springtime details of the Southern Hemisphere; the planet appears 2,700 times larger then with the unaided eye.

Across 40,000,000 miles of space the south polar cap gleams blue-white in sun light. ICY-BLUE CLOUDS HOVER ABOVE THE NORTH POLAR CAP... Millons of acres show green because, Dr. Slipher believs, a scanty water supply melting from the poles quickens some form of vegetation.

p.426, Sept. 1955

You will not find this picture on the net,:

The piccy must be as rare as chickens teeth then Mike, now when you click to reply to any topic/post, look down for "attach this file"... and follow simple instructions.

You know what, I too happen to 'like' to think, as did Arthur C Clarke... that Mars MAY have vegetation, and maybe soon we will know for sure, even if its just algae type stuff.

But COLOUR pics of Mars in 1955? Taken from earth's limited scopes back then? While its not impossible, I do think its improbable..

Mike you really do need to quote/link to sources buddy to avoid the flak..

The piccy must be as rare as chickens teeth then Mike, now when you click to reply to any topic/post, look down for "attach this file"... and follow simple instructions.

You know what, I too happen to 'like' to think, as did Arthur C Clarke... that Mars MAY have vegetation, and maybe soon we will know for sure, even if its just algae type stuff.

But COLOUR pics of Mars in 1955? Taken from earth's limited scopes back then? While its not impossible, I do think its improbable..

Mike you really do need to quote/link to sources buddy to avoid the flak..

Slipher shows some color photos near the end of the above clip from Disney's Mars & Beyond. I wonder if those are the same photos that appeared in National Geographic.

U:nfortunately, Dr. Slipher is lying in this Video about almost everything. His photo he shows does not resemble the 1955 photo because the green areas are so dark they look brown while on the original photo the green areas are both light and dark and there is not mistake they are green in color

His biggest lie is that there are no clear photos of the Martian canal system.

Clear photos have been taken for 60 years of this system starting with Percival Lowell at the turn of the century. Slipher is the head of the Lowell Observatory and I do not understand why he denies Lowell took those pictures. When I visted the observatory none of Lowell's canal pictures were on display. Yet they appar n sevral of his famous books on the subject of Martian life. When I looked up Martain canals on google, I see that none of the articles mention the canal photos. All they say is that astronmers thought they saw canals.

Four years before Slipher made this video an article entitled PHOTOGRAPHY OF THE CANALS OF MARS appeared in the Nov. 1953 edition of SKY AND TELESCOPE, one of the best journals of that period. It was written by Edison Pettit of the Mount Wilson and Palomar Observatories. Not only does he state that the canals can be photographed, the he is incouraging others to do the same:

"To be photographed, the canals of course must be present, and this depends on the Martian season"

He then describes the type of telescope needed, the type of film and the exposure settings.

So why is Slipher lying and why do present articles on Mars and Lowell deny that photos of the canal system exist? Let us look at the implications. With our technology today we are lucky to build a canal maybe one hundred miles long. Yet the Martian canals are thosands of miles long. Lowell said that any civilization that can build such a system would be far in advance of our own. So what do the canals stand for? Not only life but the existence of an advanced civilization.

U:nfortunately, Dr. Slipher is lying in this Video about almost everything. His photo he shows does not resemble the 1955 photo because the green areas are so dark they look brown while on the original photo the green areas are both light and dark and there is not mistake they are green in color

His biggest lie is that there are no clear photos of the Martian canal system.

Clear photos have been taken for 60 years of this system starting with Percival Lowell at the turn of the century. Slipher is the head of the Lowell Observatory and I do not understand why he denies Lowell took those pictures. When I visted the observatory none of Lowell's canal pictures were on display. Yet they appar n sevral of his famous books on the subject of Martian life. When I looked up Martain canals on google, I see that none of the articles mention the canal photos. All they say is that astronmers thought they saw canals.

Four years before Slipher made this video an article entitled PHOTOGRAPHY OF THE CANALS OF MARS appeared in the Nov. 1953 edition of SKY AND TELESCOPE, one of the best journals of that period. It was written by Edison Pettit of the Mount Wilson and Palomar Observatories. Not only does he state that the canals can be photographed, the he is incouraging others to do the same:

"To be photographed, the canals of course must be present, and this depends on the Martian season"

He then describes the type of telescope needed, the type of film and the exposure settings.

So why is Slipher lying and why do present articles on Mars and Lowell deny that photos of the canal system exist? Let us look at the implications. With our technology today we are lucky to build a canal maybe one hundred miles long. Yet the Martian canals are thosands of miles long. Lowell said that any civilization that can build such a system would be far in advance of our own. So what do the canals stand for? Not only life but the existence of an advanced civilization.

The key here Mike is now we have satellites taking photos of Mars and much better telescopes too. So if the modern stuff doesn't get the canals, maybe there were none to start with? Anyways heres a bit on Lowell youve prolly already found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_Lowell Now scroll down that link to his "astronomy career" and you will see it says his views on canals left him ostracized by other astronomers.

And If you googled 'Martian canals' then chose google images...you get about 117,000 results...maybe you can find the pic you cant find so far that way? A lot easier than pouring thru websites, just google the images!