Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Local Legends in your area!

Knowledgetruthfreedom

Near my hometown is a "haunted" cemetery. I first heard about it in my junior english class, some kid's parents told them about a private cemetery in Mendon, OH where Palmer's tombstone supposedly glows. Other legends say if you run around it backwards 3 times you disappear because of quicksand or something lol. I've seen it from the main road but the scariest part is that the road its on is a private drive, and the family is supposedly batshit insane. Kids are more scared of the gun-toting family than the graveyard itself. My friends won't go with me because there are all kinds of rumours of the family chasing kids with guns and jumping on the hoods of their cars. It might be true because years ago it was a popular place for teens to go check out the glowing stone, and the family was not happy. No idea if it actually glows though.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Columbo

• Carrie Anne

• Rory

• TheLikeness

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well here in Philly ( Center City) there are supposed to be ghosts EVERYWHERE :-D (for obvious reasons :-p )

Ah! I live in Center City too! I think we have more ghosts than people!

• 3 weeks later...

The Ogopogo is a Lake Monster that lives in the Okanagan Lake In British Columbia Canada, the lake has underwater caves and tunnels all over, People report seeing a large serpent Like creature that has several humps as it swim's, this legend goes all the way back to the Native's that lived here before white settlement, we Also have a thunderbird Legend here, and I actuall got to see it one time while I was young, it tooked scary, about 20 foot wingspan, big reg crooked neck and head, like a large vulture its wings made whooop whoop whoop noises very loud and it screeched very loud which caused me to run away to my house in fear, because it was big enough to kill the 60 pound me at the time! oh and BigfooT roams the woods here too!

- Ogopogo

- ThunderBird

- Bigfoot

- Haunted places

My current town is extremely boring. The only thing close to a legend here is that if you go down to Fort Morgan there's supposedly a ghost that will follow you home, hitching a ride in your backseat.

My old town, on the other hand was full of awesome stuff.

Blackbeard's treasure, Blackbeard's ghost, swamp people/cannibals, tunnels running under downtown that were used to run alcohol during prohibition (they're actually there, so not really an urban legend), there was an entire town near to it that was supposed to be cursed by the devil, an abandoned meat packing plant that was supposed to be haunted by something evil,ghost ships, devil's tramping grounds, a preaching hermit at a fort, railroad lights, no end of "haunted" houses, haunted lighthouses, abandoned hospitals that were supposed to be haunted, an old giant cemetery full of interesting graves, including Nance, a girl that was buried in a keg of rum.

No wonder I find my current residence boring. :P

Edited by theGhost_and_theDarkness

The Ogopogo is a Lake Monster that lives in the Okanagan Lake In British Columbia Canada, the lake has underwater caves and tunnels all over, People report seeing a large serpent Like creature that has several humps as it swim's, this legend goes all the way back to the Native's that lived here before white settlement, we Also have a thunderbird Legend here, and I actuall got to see it one time while I was young, it tooked scary, about 20 foot wingspan, big reg crooked neck and head, like a large vulture its wings made whooop whoop whoop noises very loud and it screeched very loud which caused me to run away to my house in fear, because it was big enough to kill the 60 pound me at the time! oh and BigfooT roams the woods here too!

- Ogopogo

- ThunderBird

- Bigfoot

- Haunted places

Neat! Thank you for sharing. So the Lake Monster is the North American Loch Ness?

Neat! Thank you for sharing. So the Lake Monster is the North American Loch Ness?

Pretty much yup, they have Searches for it on tv show's aswell, like Destination Truth and other Program's have had episodes Searching for the elusive Ogopogo, Ogopogo is a native word for lake monster or lake demon. the legend gose back away's, the best place to go looking is on rattlesnake Island, and there are about 7 sighting's a year, except when large crowd's wittness the Ogopogo, which isnt that rare of an occurance. heres a link to wiki! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogopogo

Oh and my Grandmother's house is haunted, I guy who owned the house before her Blew himself up by accident, and IO have snaped pictures of unexplaneable things, heard footsteps, seen shadow's weird mist and fog and hear lot's of weird thing's and I swear its built on a native graveyard or something because I saw a native ghost when I was younger.

My current town is extremely boring. The only thing close to a legend here is that if you go down to Fort Morgan there's supposedly a ghost that will follow you home, hitching a ride in your backseat.

My old town, on the other hand was full of awesome stuff.

Blackbeard's treasure, Blackbeard's ghost, swamp people/cannibals, tunnels running under downtown that were used to run alcohol during prohibition (they're actually there, so not really an urban legend), there was an entire town near to it that was supposed to be cursed by the devil, an abandoned meat packing plant that was supposed to be haunted by something evil,ghost ships, devil's tramping grounds, a preaching hermit at a fort, railroad lights, no end of "haunted" houses, haunted lighthouses, abandoned hospitals that were supposed to be haunted, an old giant cemetery full of interesting graves, including Nance, a girl that was buried in a keg of rum.

No wonder I find my current residence boring. :P

where did you used to live?

South America?

That's very interesting! My area has a rich history. I believe the most haunted is the Troy cemetery, an old abandoned TB hospital in Saratoga and of course, Fort Ticonderoga.

where did you used to live?

South America?

Nope, actually coastal North Carolina. :D

Edit: Thought instead of talking about it I should put up some links of these awesome things.

The Curse of Bath

Devil's Tramping Ground

Jacob's Run

Meat Packing Plant I couldn't find anything more detailed about the urban legends around it. They're very intricate. It's a shame I couldn't find a comprehensive source online, but some of the comments should tell you at least a little.

A lil about Blackbeard Blackbeard was a very big part of growing up in this area. The Queen Anne's Revenge is one of the ghost ships supposedly sighted along the coast.

More about pirates

The Fort Fisher Hermit

Haunted Battleship

Ghost ship

Oakdale Cemetery Nancy Martin (the rum keg girl) is next to last on the list. The last guy on the list is actually a relative. :yes:

It was a really interesting place. You couldn't grow up there without, at some point in your life, being immersed in the folk tales. There are so many more, I wish I could list them all. =) Here's a few more for good measure. I forgot to add the Roanoke legends, cause that mostly involves Virginia, but it's on that list. It's also got a good version of the curse of Bath.

Edited by theGhost_and_theDarkness

Well, I was acually a journalist for a site called LongPier:

http://www.longpier.com

And I wrote a few columns about local legends in my town of Southend-on-Sea. It's always interested me, I got into the whole urban mythology thing after reading the Weird US series of books and being truly inspired by the wide range of folklore in America. So I wanted to see what my own home town had to offer. Here's what we have, I may made a few threads based on these weird stories, if anyone is interested:

- Ratman, he's the ghost of some dead tramp. I first heard this story in school, it's been spread through the internet mostly, but also because of signs left on lamp-posts and on car windshields. It's pretty outlandish though and I don't believe in it. Good story, but fake.

- Southend Cat Killer. Apparently, we had a serial cat killer in our area. He would steal peoples pets, take them to a secluded place (Which is still there, by the way.) and torture them to death. Someone said he was raping them too, but how can we possibly know that? Apparently he took a swan dive off the local suicide spot when he got found out.

- Victoria Plaza. The big suicide spot of Southend-on-Sea. About a dozen deaths there and quite a few copycats. They've had to put in ralings to stop people jumping off.

- Bog Roll. Crazy tramp who lives under Priory Park. Stories about him vary a little. But there IS someone under the bridge in the Park. Not only have I investigated this, but I managed to quickly take his picture. He's real and pretty loopy, when he spotted me, he began barking like a dog. He was covered in toilet paper, or at least it looked that way, it was pretty dark. But this is the one story I can 100% confirm as true.

- Toy graveyard. I saw a video on DailyMotion of a tree in Fossett's Farm covered with decapitated toys hung from their feet. It looked pretty real. It may still be there, I took some pictures of it. Someone also hung up a rotting fox carcass from that thing.

There's probably more, but as I said, in time I may make a few threads sharing my experiences with you. I hope to eventually write a book about this crazy stuff.

• 4 months later...

We have a few (three of which are in the same graveyard), one of which is true but is isn't exactly paranormal.

We have "Lived Once Buried Twice"

A woman called Marjorie McCall was buried in graveyard when she died. A homeless man heard that they could not remove her wedding ring from her finger so they kept it on her. Later that night, he went to the graveyard, dug up her coffin and tried to cut her finger off. When he drew blood, Marjorie opened her eyes. He went away. She got out of her coffin and walked home. Her husband fainted at the site of her.

That's how the locals tell it but I have some pages here for you to see with a photo off her grave.

http://www.mccroryart.com/newspaper/pages/Marjorie%20McCall%20.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/armagh/mccall_grave.shtml

http://www.myspace.com/alfredomagic/blog/356582939

http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?id=962

Other stories we have are:

Cuppage:

Alexander Cuppage was said to have had a wife who was cheating on him and eventually left him. When this happened, he got himself very drunk and went to the railway lines where he lay his head on the track and let a train run over it. Now he's said to walk the railway lines every night.

Now I live right beside the railway lines, can't say I've ever heard anything or heard of anyone saying they actually seen him, just that he exists.

Oh and he's buried in the same graveyard as Marjorie.

His grave is very old but it is there for all to see.

http://www.craigavonhistoricalsociety.org.uk/rev/malcomsonalexander.html

The final in the trilogy of that graveyard is the mausoleum at the Brownlow vault. Not to sure but I think this is where Lord Brownlow and his family are buried. It is said if you go up to a certain hole in this vault and peer through. Say Holy Mary three times, someone spits in your eye. Not true, I tried it to prove someone wrong.

Here is more information on that graveyard.

http://www.craigavonhistoricalsociety.org.uk/rev/mccorryshankillgraveyard.html

Now away from the graveyard in another busy area of the town is Bells Row.

There used to be a tree in this place called The Devil Tree. Rumour has it that if you went up to this tree you could hear people screaming. Another legend states that at one point the tree was cut down. When the workers went back the next day to finish work on the area, the tree was back up again as if nothing had happened.

The tree is now cut down and since then has not grown back. They have built houses over the area now.

AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT I FOUND A FACEBOOK PAGE WITH A PHOTO OF THE TREE!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/bellsy-bells-row-the-whitey-bellsie/121681614517233?sk=wall

Actually, most of the area. I remember the area so well. That place was one of the most creepiest places ever. No matter who you talked to, it was always said to be spooky.

Another small rumour was that there used to be a banshee in Bells Row.

My uncle also claimed to have seen a UFO in that area once.

Other

I just discovered this as well.

Yellow Man

Type: Unknown Ghost Type

Date / Time: 2000s, 05:00h

Further Comments: A witness ran home after encountering the large yellow outline of a man while travelling down King Street.

Anywyas, I know there is quite a bit but if I find anything else I will let you know. If I get a camera I wil happily take photos of these area for you now. Except for Bells Row, it is all houses now sadly but enough photos of the old Bells Row on that Facebook page.

Edited by Rory

I live (I think I live, never checked to see if I were dead) in the Number 8 most haunted place in California.. according to Shannon McCabe, "President of H.P.I.". Placerville, a town where even the ghosts are scared of tourists. LINK to the top 10 in CA.

I had the pleasure of staying at the "Historic Carey House Hotel", the #2 top spot in my town. Nothing happened. Took a log of pictures, nothing but one orb from when I tried to explain them to the new wife (I rubbed my arm vigorously to 'shed' some skin for it).

We also have the Jackalope, and in the local legends, the town was build by druids.

(We do have a Druid monument in town)

We have a lot of legends about hangings. We were called several names: Dry diggins, Hangtown, Placerville.

I have yet to experience anything ghostly in town, tough I bet it's my "negative energy" keeping the ghosties away... :rolleyes:

If you ever get a chance to swing by the Midmost town between Sacramento and Tahoe, hit me up, I'll show you to the local points of interest (In public, during day. I am not a creeper, but I am odd).

there's a ghost legend at a old abandon high school in the city i live in the legand goes like this the old grounds keeper of the high school killed himself in one of the class rooms but he's so obseesed with keeping the school safe that on march 29th the night he killed himself he protects the school and nothing can come into the grounds or leave untill morning

There are a bunch all throughout the city and county (Whaley House, Kate Morgan, etc) but I'll just talk about the two in my direct region of it.

The first one is just a few miles from my house. It is pretty much a big wide open area of desert at the base of a mountain. Not much out there except for a lot of dead bush. For years there have been rumors of a Bigfoot-like creature that lurks around out there. A small little museum even has a huge footprint that was found out there. Supposedly years back there was a cattle ranch out there and some of the cattle would occasionally be found dragged miles away and mutilated beyond recognition as if a large creature had gotten to it. There are also lots of ghostly legends about it but they're pretty much the same that every town has. "Woman in white dress", etc. Though it does feel spooky out there.

But in the last five years or so they've really been expanding some of those expensive suburbs and it isn't as dark and desolate as it used to be.

Another one is from a town/suburb nearby that makes me feel like I'm somewhere in the deep south. There used to be an abandoned house, barn, and bakery on the lot but the whole property was just referred to as Haven Bakery. I've heard so many variations of what supposedly happened there. From a lonely girl hanging herself in the basement to a full-on massacre on customers. Who really knows if anything happened there at all. But all three buildings sat abandoned for years. There was a huge wooden gate blocking the entrance but kids always found a way through the trees. Apparently the place was horrifying.

Now away from the graveyard in another busy area of the town is Bells Row.

There used to be a tree in this place called The Devil Tree. Rumour has it that if you went up to this tree you could hear people screaming. Another legend states that at one point the tree was cut down. When the workers went back the next day to finish work on the area, the tree was back up again as if nothing had happened.

The tree is now cut down and since then has not grown back. They have built houses over the area now.

OMG Bells Row lol Or as we called it - Bellsie

There was this old house that was half knocked down.. it was white.. and said to be haunted... We used to dare each other to go up to it... I ran like the clappers from it...I was a kid and too stupid ..back then I believed in every story told...Big sponge lol

Now I am skeptical of all the stories I heard back then... To me they are just stories...As for the Devils tree.. it was nothing more than a tale to scare folk

For most people who have read the Da Vinci Code, Holy Blood Holy Grail or Templar Revelation, Rennes le Chateau, the castle of Blanchefort, or even Rennes les Bains would be the site to visit. Yet, the entire story of the Merovingian kings (les Rois Fait Neants) ended right in the small town of Stenay, about 25 kms (16 miles) from the town where I live. I often go there to visit the place where the last known Merovingian king Dagobert the second was killed, near a small spring brings out still fresh and pure water even after 1200 plus years. No ghosts there, just a wonderful feeling of peace and strange sense time travel is all in the mind.

http://www.stenay.org/stenay/stenay-fontaine.php

The third photo on the right is the spring

OMG Bells Row lol Or as we called it - Bellsie

There was this old house that was half knocked down.. it was white.. and said to be haunted... We used to dare each other to go up to it... I ran like the clappers from it...I was a kid and too stupid ..back then I believed in every story told...Big sponge lol

Now I am skeptical of all the stories I heard back then... To me they are just stories...As for the Devils tree.. it was nothing more than a tale to scare folk

I suspect that those stories were passed on by our brothers and sisters to us to keep us out of there so they could perform illegal activities. lol

I suspect that those stories were passed on by our brothers and sisters to us to keep us out of there so they could perform illegal activities. lol

Nah.... They were just stories.. People in nearly every town land will have some made up tales to scare folk... I do not take them seriously.. . I did as a kids but that was a long time ago

I went to school with a girl who was killed on those railway tracks near Bells Row... I wouldn't be surprised if some people made up stories to say she walks the tracks and can be seen at night... even though she was killed during the afternoon... But people will not stop with the stories to scare others

Edited by Beckys_Mom

We have a few down here in Torbay Devon, mainly ghosts.

Black House in Brixham

The Black House located in Brixham was originally built in the 14th Century. It was used by the monks as the St. Mary’s Church was being built. It may surprise you to learn that the building is in fact white, not black as the name suggests. Perhaps the name links to some deeper meaning!

There is apparently the ghost of a man from the 16th Century called Squire Hilliard that frequents the building. He looks for his son who tragically took his own life when he couldn’t marry the woman he loved. The Squire didn’t think the girl was suitable for his son and forced her to marry another man.

There are said to be very strange things that happen in the Black House on regular occurrences. Strange noises lurk in every corner, doors lock themselves when no one else is around and ghostly footsteps make the floorboards.

Is the Squire looking for eternal forgiveness and will his son give it to him?

Also, have heard that theres a cove here (i dont know what its called but from im told its fairly near Beacon Cove) theres a cave (very hard to get to, unless by sea). But i have been told (mainly by older local ex fishermen) The the cave is said to be haunted by the ghosts of pirates and at certin nights of the year, you can see fire light coming from the cave, some have told me theve even heard singing coming from the cave. When ive asked further about the coves name, i get various names as over the years the name changes!

I dunno its just some old fisherman stories, i think!

Nah.... They were just stories.. People in nearly every town land will have some made up tales to scare folk... I do not take them seriously.. . I did as a kids but that was a long time ago

I went to school with a girl who was killed on those railway tracks near Bells Row... I wouldn't be surprised if some people made up stories to say she walks the tracks and can be seen at night... even though she was killed during the afternoon... But people will not stop with the stories to scare others

Was that girl's surname Knox?

Was that girl's surname Knox?

Elizabeth Knox yes..I knew her well

Elizabeth Knox yes..I knew her well

It's just her sister left in their old house. Alot of bad luck took place in her family. Her sister was down in my house a few weeks ago getting drunk with me.

It's just her sister left in their old house. Alot of bad luck took place in her family. Her sister was down in my house a few weeks ago getting drunk with me.

I don't know her sister.. I only knew Elizabeth ......I remember when she was a child, so timid and shy.... What happened to her was an accident..

I don't know her sister.. I only knew Elizabeth ......I remember when she was a child, so timid and shy.... What happened to her was an accident..

Yeah I am aware of that. Not a believer in anything supernatural.

What are local legends in your country, state, town, or area that you know, or have heard of? I am curious to see if any are similar in diffrent parts of the world to others.

Ill start, I live in colorado springs, Colorado. Theres a place called Helen Hunt falls and its said that if you go up there late at night and look, ull be able to ghost lights popping up and zooming around! Ive tried looking for them first hand, but i havent had any luck, bet yet the legend persists.

So if anyone has any legend that they know of, id be glad to hear it!

-Mateo

hello, in my state have a legend like that of Bloody Mary. long time ago in a town called "Porto Alegre" was a woman named "Maria Francelina Trenes." summarizing the story: he was unjustly killed by her jealous husband, who with a dagger blow, decapitated it. Until this part, the story is real. Now the legend: they say that in a school near where she was killed, if you repeat three times "maria slain" in front of the mirror at midnight, she'll come and pull your head into the mirror. leaving only your decapitated body in the bathroom.

Not sure if this counts as an "urban legend".

I spent most of my childhood in County Clare in Western Ireland in a place called Kilfenora.

I lived near the top of a place called Doon, which was called so as it was in fact a dún, (ring fort) although it had long since been covered in soil and now looked little more then a hill.

Although some remnants of the fort wall remained on the eastern side near the top.

Now as legend has it there is an entrance that leads you deep into the bowels of the fort itself,

hidden away from prying eyes is said to be a hoard of treasure buried deep within. It is said if one finds the entrance to the tunnels and ventures into the fort, they are never heard of again.

Now that is just what they say, although when I still lived there, I spoke to numerous family friends and farmers who have some sort of personal experience in this..usually being a "friend of a friend" or someone long since dead. But there was one person in particular an old irish farmer who told me that he has actually found the entrance into the fort purely by accident and he was stuck down in these tunnels for hours, before eventually finding his way out where he came about no harm. He said that while he was down there he felt the presence of something else with him whether it be otherwordly or not, who knows. He said after his experience he covered the hole he had filled in and to this day no one else has found there way down into the fort.

To give you a backdrop on the history surrounding Doon, It is thought that Fergus mac Róigh resided at the Doon hill fort (after which was named the Doon reel), above Kilfenora around the beginning of the Christian era.

Its hard to say how true this is as I have no personal experience in these tunnels although living extremely close to Doon I have had a few unusual occurences, one such instances was myself aand my brother seeing on the old road by Doon a dog very similar to an irish greyhound although when we shone our light at the dog it was completely see through, shortly afterwards it vanished into thin air. I have also heard talking which was barely understandable in the area, but found no one around at the time, in the same place as the talking I heard what could only been described as sanding wood or rasping wood.

Another prolific occurrence in the area is the Banshee and has been heard and apparently seen by many people very close to Doon.