Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

It became a quote that meant an empty promise, I don't don't doubt that - you do have a history before the Dutch proverb came along you know...think about why it means an empty promise and why it became a proverb that meant that.

It's probably an ancient proverb because as the OLB tells us this is exactly what happened, to Northern Europe, according to the OLB.

No. YOU think about why it became a proverb about an empty promise.

No. YOU think about why it became a proverb about an empty promise.

I told you why, there is no afterlife. What was promised from the cows with golden horns, didn't materialise. It was an empty promise.

Proverbs usually have a reason for becoming a proverb to start with.

Even if it means empty promise by the time the OLB is written and used in the book in that manner, it doesn't mean that the Solar Cow wasn't bought into Nth. Europe by Easterners c. 2000BC. That would be the original meaning of the proverb imo.

They found on Knossos the cow/bull with golden horns. It also has a sun on his head.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=s_KxhuShJSEC&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=cows+with+golden+horns&source=bl&ots=xfGw-vzO03&sig=-KCP71sJnyf0McNVFDJm1s8s6Xg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Sw39TtmAJbCSiAeu-tnXBw&ved=0CFcQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=cows%20with%20golden%20horns&f=false

The Golden Horn at the Bosphorus. http://www.livius.org/bn-bz/bosphorus/bosphorus.html

The concept is way more ancient than the Dutch proverb although I don't doubt the proverb comes from it.

Wish-fulfilling Cow

Cows represent the All-good. The image of fruits of nature emerging from a cow's horn -- a horn of plenty -- is tied to the Cow of Plenty of Indian mythology, whose name is Surabhi. She belonged to the Vedic sage, Vasishtha.

Kamadhenu is the sacred cow as she relates to Hindu ritual. Her 5 gifts are sacred offerings. They are: milk, curds (yoghurt,) butter, urine (considered a pure substance that can serve as medicine,) and manure (which is used for plastering walls and floors, and which, dried, is used as fuel.) She also gives us a further gift, her offspring -- a calf, the source of further cattle.

The Mahabharata (ch. 76, 77, 83) on the sacredness of cows.

In the Himalayan tradition, butter is sculpted to make offerings such as tormas, and it also provides the oil that fuels butterlamps.

Ghee, clarified butter, is the very essence of cow. As such, it is the substance that, in India, is used to bath sacred images.

-------

Indo-europeans carried the notion of a cosmic cow with them to northern Europe, for in the mythology of the Eddas, Audhumla ("Without Impurity") was the creator of humankind. From a stone, she licked Man into being over a period of three days. She was created from ice-melt at the beginning of time, and preserves herself while sustaining the status quo by licking the salt and hoar frost which would otherwise build up on Niflheim, abode of the gods. The titans or Ymir feed on her milk.

http://www.khandro.net/animal_cow_bull.htm

--------

Hathor again:

Goddess Hathor in a red dress wears the headress of a sun disk and cow's horn.

RED dress, cow's horns, sun disk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hathor

So, in the end is just our views on what it is - you see it as a recent proverb inserted only but I see it as a proverb used, but it pertains to a true event from the past - when the origin of the proverb was taking place.

Edited by The Puzzler

And now I will repeat an idea I had months ago:

We all, Puzz, Alewyn, Otharus, Knul, me, and anyone else able to read the OLB (the original text, not the translation made by Sandbach or a Tony Steele) should get together and publish a new and improved transliteration, and translation into English of the OLB.

A good idea. If you and/or Otharus could send me your private e-mail addresses by PM, I could forward you my attempt at revising the previous translations. The file is some 560kB and 67 A4 pages. I cannot post it here and I doubt it whether I could post it on your PM's. Perhaps we could try that.

This could then serve as a starting point and you and Otharus can chop and change as you see fit.

If you want to know more of the proverb 'promise cows with golden horns' you should trace back the story of Pygmalion.

Ovidius

[Metamorphoses X, 243-267] Pygmalion

(270-279) De zeer drukbezochtefeestdagen van Venus braken aan op Cyprus. Jonge koeien met vergulde gekromde horens werden samen gedood door op hun sneeuwwitte nek te slaan, en de wierook rookte. Nadat Pygmalion zijn ambt vervuld had, ging hij bij het altaar staan en schuchter zei hij: "Goden, als jullie alles kunnen geven, wens ik dat er een vrouw is," (hij durfde niet 'een ivoren maagd' zeggen) "die gelijkt op mijn ivoren beeld." Omdat de gouden Venus zelf aanwezig was op haar feest, merkte ze waar die wensen om vroegen, en als voorteken van een bevriende godheid werd de vlam driemaal opnieuw aangestoken en ze leidde hem door de lucht.

Edited by Knul

A good idea. If you and/or Otharus could send me your private e-mail addresses by PM, I could forward you my attempt at revising the previous translations. The file is some 560kB and 67 A4 pages. I cannot post it here and I doubt it whether I could post it on your PM's. Perhaps we could try that.

This could then serve as a starting point and you and Otharus can chop and change as you see fit.

OK Alewyn I will.

A bit late to say this, but I just found out Overwijn really transliterated every underscore and point in the text too.

An example:

(53) jefta kâter.inne alsa hête thju fâm thêr burch.fâm to goda burch was. kât was

stolte änd hâchfârande thêrvmbe ne lêt hju nên rêd ni follistar anda moder ne frêja.

men thâ tha burch.hêra thät fâta. thâ svndon hja selva bodon nêi tex.lând nêi thêre

moder thâ. minna alsa was thêre moder.is nôme. lêt âla tha stjûrar mânja änd âl et

ôthera jongk.folk fon âst. fly.land änd fon tha Dênne.markum. ut thesse tochte is

thju skydnese fon wodin bern sa.r vppa burgum writen is änd hir êskrêven . . . anda

alder.gâmude thêr reste en alde sêkäning. sterik was sin nôme änd tha hrop vr sina

dêda was grât. thisse alde rob hêde thrê nêva. wodin thene aldeste hêmde to

lumka.mâkja by thêre e.mude to âst fly.land by sin eldrum t.ûs. ênes was er hêrman

wêst.

But what he also did (I removed it from the quote) is give a name like "âst. flyy.land" an extra -y- to stress the way it should be pronounced according to him: -yy- is pronounced as (English) -ee- (in Dutch it would be -ie- ).

++++++

EDIT:

Alewyn, did you start with transliterating the original script, and after that make a translation?

Edited by Abramelin

I told you why, there is no afterlife. What was promised from the cows with golden horns, didn't materialise. It was an empty promise.

Proverbs usually have a reason for becoming a proverb to start with.

Even if it means empty promise by the time the OLB is written and used in the book in that manner, it doesn't mean that the Solar Cow wasn't bought into Nth. Europe by Easterners c. 2000BC. That would be the original meaning of the proverb imo.

But there is no hint at an 'afterlife' or a 'hereafter' in the text at all. You only bring it in, and that will add to the already existing confusion:

The principal men and their cleverest sons made up to the wanton daughters of the Finns; and their own daughters, led astray by this bad example, allowed themselves to be beguiled by the handsome young Finns in derision of their depraved fathers. When the Magy found this out, he took the handsomest of his Finns and Magyars, and promised them cows with golden horns to let themselves be taken prisoners by our people in order to spread his doctrines.

1) iemand koeien met gouden horens beloven (=iets moois beloven maar niet nakomen)

2) koeien met gouden horens beloven (=het onmogelijke beloven)

http://www.woorden.org/spreekwoord.php?woord=koeien%20met%20gouden%20horens%20beloven

Translation:

1) to promise someone cows with golden horns (= promise something beautifull but not live up to it)

2) to promise cows woth golden horns (= to promise the impossible)

-

koeien met gouden horens beloven (v.)

gouden bergen beloven, valse hoop wekken

http://dictionary.sensagent.com/koeien+met+gouden+horens+beloven/nl-nl/

Translation:

to promise mountains of gold, to rouse false hope

Edited by Abramelin

surely the horns represent the crescent moon.

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Au%C3%B0umbla

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Gavaevodata

the primordial ox is a hermaphrodite, having both milk (Ibd 43.15) and semen (Ibd 94.4).

There you go: is it a Lunar Bull/Cow or Solar Bull/Cow?

And does it clear up anything from the OLB text? No.

The worship of the Sacred Bull throughout the ancient world is most familiar to the Western world in the biblical episode of the idol of the Golden Calf. The Golden Calf after being made by the Hebrew people in the wilderness of Sinai, were rejected and destroyed by Moses and his tribe after his time upon the mountain peak (Book of Exodus). Marduk is the "bull of Utu". Shiva's steed is Nandi, the Bull. The sacred bull survives in the constellation Taurus. The bull, whether lunar as in Mesopotamia and Egypt or solar as in India, is the subject of various other cultural and religious incarnations, as well as modern mentions in new age cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_(mythology)

Edited by Abramelin

I just found out Overwijn really transliterated every underscore and point in the text too.

But what he also did (I removed it from the quote) is give a name like "âst. flyy.land" an extra -y- to stress the way it should be pronounced according to him: -yy- is pronounced as (English) -ee- (in Dutch it would be -ie- ).

Jensma (2006) and De Heer (2008) both made new transliterations (I have found minor mistakes in both).

Sample of full two pages Jensma:

jensmatranslitsample2pages.jpg

1. photocopy of original manuscript

2. transliteration

3. three columns for different types of footnotes

4. Dutch 'translation' (not one I am happy with)

Sample of transliteration Jensma:

jensmatranslitsample.jpg

Sample of transliteration/ translation De Heer:

deheertranslitsample.jpg

With footnotes on the bottom of every page.

I have asked Alewyn for his translation and am thinking about how I would like to present a combination of:

1. photocopy of original

2. transliteration (normal capitals)

3. English translation

4. footnotes

Online and/or in print.

I think I prefer Jensma's transliteration because - judging from what you posted - he kept the lines at the original length including breaks, tildes and all. Also I think his use of the capital 'eth', or Ð is really handy.

Thinking about it a bit more, I am now sure I prefer Jensma's work (some screenshots from his online book):

JENSMA_2.jpg

JENSMA_3.jpg

He has added comments about letters that have been changed for another, mistakes, and unclear letters.

Edited by Abramelin

I think I prefer Jensma's transliteration because - judging from what you posted - he kept the lines at the original length including breaks, tildes and all. Also I think his use of the capital 'eth', or Ð is really handy.

Yes a consequent line-numbering is handy, but for my personal study I also like to separate sentences.

That letter is OK for print-version, but a normal keyboard doesn't have it; for an online version it would not be good (how to do a word search?).

Here's an experiment (this time not aimed at providing smooth translation, but for study of the language):

okketranslitexp.jpg

Yes a consequent line-numbering is handy, but for my personal study I also like to separate sentences.

That letter is OK for print-version, but a normal keyboard doesn't have it; for an online version it would not be good (how to do a word search?).

Here's an experiment (this time not aimed at providing smooth translation, but for study of the language):

okketranslitexp.jpg

I don't have a special keyboard at all: Ð.

I got it with [CAPS LOCK] and then [rightside - ALT] [D].

==

Your experiment looks ok, but I think maybe you could leave out the part bottom-left; it looks redundant.

(funny I never saw it, lol: "ethlum", shouldn't that be translated as "nobility" (Dutch: edelen) ?? )

++++

EDIT:

Word search is no problem withe the eth: check this screenshot of a Wiki page; I highlighted all the upper- and lowercase eths:

post-18246-0-07084400-1325257134_thumb.j

Edited by Abramelin

I don't have a special keyboard at all: Ð.

I got it with [CAPS LOCK] and then [rightside - ALT] [D].

On the keyboard I'm working with now, that doesn't work, but there must be a way.

Psychologically, for people who are new to this, it might make the threshold higher when uncommon letters are used. Either way, I'm fine with it.

Your experiment looks ok, but I think maybe you could leave out the part bottom-left; it looks redundant.

Yeah, I just thought it might be easier for beginners (and dyslectics). I work with a file myself with the original text only, and I let every new sentence start on a new line, makes it easier to read and concentrate. For now it's a little effort. In a print-version I would probably not include both.

(funny I never saw it, lol: "ethlum", shouldn't that be translated as "nobility" (Dutch: edelen) ?? )

According to Hettema, "ethla" can both mean "edelen" (nobility) as ancestors.

But in OLB, the context seems to indicate that it (originally?) just means ancestors.

Nobility might be a later meaning.

I guess the word is related to "ath".

Whilst you are on the subject of the OLB's translation:

I have been wanting to share this little thought for some time now (Ever since Otharus pointed out that "Pompa Bleder" did not mean "Pumpkin Leafs" but rather "Water Lily Leafs")

The OLB describes the civil war that broke out between Minervas and Syrheds followers in ca. 1630 BC. One of the main reasons was the fact that Minervas followers started making paper from pompa bledar or water lily leafs (Nuphar lutea) instead of from flax, thereby destroying one of the main sources of income of Syrheds followers.

The results of the war were that the Fryan Federation broke up, the Celts came into being and the foundations of the later Greek Civilization were laid.

This little leaf, which appears on the Frisian flag today, radically changed world history.

I shall think about this every time I see the Frisian flag.

Edited by Alewyn

Whilst you are on the subject of the OLB's translation:

I have been wanting to share this little thought for some time now (Ever since Otharus pointed out that "Pompa Bleder" did not mean "Pumpkin Leafs" but rather "Water Lily Leafs")

The OLB describes the civil war that broke out between Minerva’s and Syrhed’s followers in ca. 1630 BC. One of the main reasons was the fact that Minerva’s followers started making paper from “pompa bledar” or water lily leafs (Nuphar lutea) instead of from flax, thereby destroying one of the main sources of income of Syrhed’s followers.

The results of the war were that the Fryan Federation broke up, the Celts came into being and the foundations of the later Greek Civilization were laid.

This little leaf, which appears on the Frisian flag today, radically changed world history.

I shall think about this every time I see the Frisian flag.

Yes, I think it sounds very reasonable that the leafs in the Frisian flag had some kind of special meaning.

Pumpkin leaves? Nah, rather water lily leaves, or "pompa bleder". That was a good find by Otharus.

I hope you also read what I posted, about someone asking online how to make paper from the pulp of water lilies for some school project.

But Puzz's idea that these leaves (red colored in the Frisian flag) may also symbolize hearts is not not crazy either.

Why would someone depict leaves in red? Maybe because these leaves do indeed resemble a heart? Leaves that had some kind of important meaning to the Frisians?

But now for something completely different...

I want to stress this: any transliteration into Latin script (=our script) should stick to the original length of the lines in the manuscript, with commas, periods, tildes, line-breaks and all.

It might make it somewhat harder to read (and Otharus already added more readable versions of some pages, the ones I said were redundant), but we cannot be sure - skeptics and believers alike - where some lines (and/or words) end or start.

===

The "something completely different" thing is this: if you consider this manuscript to be a fabrication for some purpose, there might be some sort of code hidden in it.

===

Even more "completely different" (and probably quite crazy, lol), I thought by myself, "What sort of code would someone interested in astrology/astronomy/navigating the seas want to hide within the text?"

I had to think of coordinates...

And the first numbers that show up in the OLB are these: 3449 and 1256:

Written at Liuwert, in the three thousand four hundred and forty-ninth year after Atland was submerged—that is, according to the Christian reckoning, the year 1256.

Hiddo, surnamed Over de Linda.—Watch.

Well, have fun with this: http://www.mapquest.nl/mq/maps/mapInput.do?resultId=latlong

34N49

12E56

east of Tunesia in the Med

12N56

34E49

SUDAN

12S56

34E49

east coast Lake Nyasa/northern Mozambique

decimal degrees:

34,49N

12,56E

And so on.

(Btw: do not forget about 'right ascension' and 'declination' of stars/planets.)

Edited by Abramelin

surely the horns represent the crescent moon.

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Au%C3%B0umbla

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Gavaevodata

the primordial ox is a hermaphrodite, having both milk (Ibd 43.15) and semen (Ibd 94.4).

I thought so at first but I believe the Solar Bull is mentioned - because of what might be ra/red and the golden horns. Even if it's not the golden horns seem more relative to the Sun cow in Egypt (as the Magyar were like Egyptian priests) and the continuation of the Apis bull, Serapis and the whole connection to the Sun and Christianity, rather than the Lunar Bull.

220px-Hathor.svg.png

The cult of Osiris promised eternal life to those deemed morally worthy. Originally the justified dead, male or female, became an Osiris but by early Roman times females became identified with Hathor and men with Osiris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hathor

Anyway as Abe said, I guess it's not that important, but in the context of history, I'd say the Solar Cow came into Northern Europe from the East.

-----------------

Hathor, along with the goddess Nut, was associated with the Milky Way during the third millennium B.C. when, during the fall and spring equinoxes, it aligned over and touched the earth where the sun rose and fell.[12] The four legs of the celestial cow represented Nut or Hathor could, in one account, be seen as the pillars on which the sky was supported with the stars on their bellies constituting the milky way on which the solar barque of Ra, representing the sun, sailed.[13] An alternate name for Hathor, which persisted for 3,000 years, was Mehturt (also spelt Mehurt, Mehet-Weret, and Mehet-uret), meaning 'great flood, a direct reference to her being the milky way.

The Pythagoreans say the fall of Phaethon created the Milky Way, as above explained, in the 3rd millenium - the Milky Way touched the Earth as the Sun fell. Hathor as Mehturt, meant 'great flood'.

Edited by The Puzzler

But now for something completely different...

I want to stress this: any transliteration into Latin script (=our script) should stick to the original length of the lines in the manuscript, with commas, periods, tildes, line-breaks and all.

It might make it somewhat harder to read (and Otharus already added more readable versions of some pages, the ones I said were redundant), but we cannot be sure - skeptics and believers alike - where some lines (and/or words) end or start.

===

The "something completely different" thing is this: if you consider this manuscript to be a fabrication for some purpose, there might be some sort of code hidden in it.

===

Even more "completely different" (and probably quite crazy, lol), I thought by myself, "What sort of code would someone interested in astrology/astronomy/navigating the seas want to hide within the text?"

I had to think of coordinates...

And the first numbers that show up in the OLB are these: 3449 and 1256:

Written at Liuwert, in the three thousand four hundred and forty-ninth year after Atland was submerged—that is, according to the Christian reckoning, the year 1256.

Hiddo, surnamed Over de Linda.—Watch.

Well, have fun with this: http://www.mapquest....esultId=latlong

34N49

12E56

east of Tunesia in the Med

12N56

34E49

SUDAN

12S56

34E49

east coast Lake Nyasa/northern Mozambique

decimal degrees:

34,49N

12,56E

And so on.

(Btw: do not forget about 'right ascension' and 'declination' of stars/planets.)

Let us hope, that you do not take yourself seriously with this.

you realize that the 'sun' in that picture is actually a snake dont you?

snake = lightening = light = sun

The uraeus was the image of the Egyptian cobra (Naja haje), worn in the front of the king's headdress. Here the snake represents the snake goddess Wadjet, associated with the Lower Egyptian sanctuary of Buto. Her counterpart was the vulture goddess Nekhbet of Hierakonpolis in Upper Egypt. Wadjet acted as a mythical mother and midwife of the king. At Tuna el-Gebel, mummified cobras have been found amongst the millions of other animals in the great animal catacombs.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/snakesofegypt.htm