Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Uffington White Horse really a unicorn?

Still Waters

What you're interpreting as fangs could just as easily be seen as lips.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw=987&bih=609&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=horse+neighing&oq=horse+neighing&aq=f&aqi=g1g-S5&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=10247l14404l0l14835l9l9l0l2l2l0l229l1370l0.3.4l7l0

The fact that there are a number of other such carvings throughout England all of which are in-arguably horses would tend to lead to the conclusion that it too is a horse.

Lol, then those things would be really huge lips.Man, the Uffington horse looks nothing like a horse.

Either the socalled 'repairs' throughout the ages destroyed the original horse-image beyond recognition, or it was never meant to depict a horse.

I didn't want to post it in the "Oera Linda" thread, but it could be one of Freya's cats (she drove a carriage pulled by cats). In that thread I tried to explain that one of the alternative names for the 'Heel Stone' (in Stonehenge), 'Freya's He-ol' is nothing but 'Freya's Hall' or Sessrumnir, an alternative name some Nordic gave to Stonehenge.

freya1.gif

Edited by Abramelin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Oppono Astos

• Myles

• Harsh86_Patel

Wow, I've learned some cool stuff about the Uffington, um, animal. Kind of moot, but cool.

No matter what the critter is supposed to be, lame that someone would want to deface that 3,000 year old art to suit their fancy. If the people that made it had meant for it to have a horn, it would have a horn already.

Wow, I've learned some cool stuff about the Uffington, um, animal. Kind of moot, but cool.

No matter what the critter is supposed to be, lame yeah, that someone would want to deface that 3,000 year old art to suit their fancy. If the people that made it had meant for it to have a horn, it would have a horn already.

I doesn't

A 'horn'.

Only a true idot would suggest something like that.

But this site is filled to the brim with people believing any kind of crap that will suit their fancy.

Come on: the image looks nothing like a horse.

Not like a horse where I live, anyway.

Edited by Abramelin

It would be funny if they put an horn on it then found out it was a cat.

it's a religious symbol and its there attempt at catching the spirit of a horse, or a horse in motion, there were no big cats in Britain at this time they had the Lynx and the British wild cat and the Uffington horse doesn't look like either.

post-35766-0-27331600-1325067893_thumb.j

post-35766-0-93369500-1325067916_thumb.j

it's a religious symbol and its there attempt at catching the spirit of a horse, or a horse in motion, there were no big cats in Britain at this time they had the Lynx and the British wild cat and the Uffington horse doesn't look like either.

It doesn't look like a horse either.

Then explain the fangs/whiskers.

It could have been a big cat, and one that doesn't live in Britain.

The image could have been made by Phoenicians of whom is known that they visited the tin mines in southern Britain?

And this is a photo of a British wild cat:

1924695_4eb8f2f3.jpg

280px-Uffington-White-Horse-sat.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

A 'horn'.

Only a true idot would suggest something like that.

But this site is filled to the brim with people believing any kind of crap that will suit their fancy.

Come on: the image looks nothing like a horse.

Not like a horse where I live, anyway.

Ok, so the image does not really look like a horse, it's just called a horse. If it is a horse or not, yes, very idiotic of the folks that wanted to put a horn on the critter to suit their fancy. I sort of doubt any of those people are on this site though, I think we would have seen the argument for putting on a horn if that was the case.

A modern white horse (2004) Folkestone, Kent.

pic1.jpg

Yeah, that's even better:

Day-9-Leopard-Running.jpg

Lol, then those things would be really huge lips.Man, the Uffington horse looks nothing like a horse.

Either the socalled 'repairs' throughout the ages destroyed the original horse-image beyond recognition, or it was never meant to depict a horse.

I didn't want to post it in the "Oera Linda" thread, but it could be one of Freya's cats (she drove a carriage pulled by cats). In that thread I tried to explain that one of the alternative names for the 'Heel Stone' (in Stonehenge), 'Freya's He-ol' is nothing but 'Freya's Hall' or Sessrumnir, an alternative name some Nordic gave to Stonehenge.

freya1.gif

Interesting speculation about it being a depiction of a cat of some kind and what you said about Freya's cats.

There certainly is a cat like look to it.

I always thought it could be a sylized dragon....and having another good look at it now.....the V and the (possible) horns

I am going to chuck horned serpent/snake into the mix as a possibility...

(with the 'legs' being a later addition)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=horned+serpent+snake&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7TSEH_enGB358GB358&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=1UH7TpW7J86R8gOrj7G-AQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=719

I have seen a replica of the Uffington land figure in America, on Google Maps...and I will try and find it again

as it a while back since I saw it.

The current stylized 'horse' form has only been recorded from the early 1800s - typically by Lyson in 1813, who also suggested a saddle. While there may be some doubt as to the accuracy of his work, the Rev Francis Wise depicted a very different figure around in 1738; although correspondence by a Dr Pococke in 1757 also suggests a filled-out body. One written account by Ralf de Deceto from 1180 (although de Deceto would apparently have been 10 when he wrote this) suggested a different figure again of a horse and foal.

Repeated scouring has inadvertently subtly morphed the overall figure, and recent Optical Stimulated Luminescence examination indicates the figure has slowly been moved up the hill since the Bronze Age and onto a shallower slope. The current prominent eye (itself centred on a blind spring) is a relatively recent addition.

Hi,

New here.

I've been up that hill several times. Some interesting notes I can share.

1/ " That's the first horse I've seen with a forked tongue"... came to mind on my first visit many years ago.

2/ The small ( about 150 ft across ) hillock across DRAGONHILL ROAD is DRAGON HILL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Hill,_Uffington

Don't believe what Wikipedia says, its NOT natural. The materials used to constructed it were taken from the adjoining hillside where there is a flat area now.

3/ One person standing on Dragon Hill, will clearly see another person standing on the 'Horse's??' eye. The pathway off Dragon hill points directly at the Horse's ?? eye. Check it out on Google Earth.

Just before sunrise on the Vernal equinox, ( If the hill fort hadn't have been built at a more recent date, spoiling the view ), the two persons in their positions would point to Sirius rising over the hillside, AT AN EARLIER DATE THAN TEXT BOOKS SAY THE HORSE ?? WAS CUT.

What does this mean and what is a dragon? A dragon is a mythical creature that can fly and belches out fire and smoke and sets the trees alight. Dragons also have the reputation of being spiny and having a forked tongue. VTOL aircraft set the trees alight if the are not careful where they hover. Why are the small hillock, the path and the dragons eye lined to point at Sirius????

Hi,

New here.

1/ " That's the first horse I've seen with a forked tongue"... came to mind on my first visit many years ago.

2/ The small ( about 150 ft across ) hillock across DRAGONHILL ROAD is DRAGON HILL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Hill,_Uffington

Don't believe what Wikipedia says, its NOT natural. The materials used to constructed it were taken from the adjoining hillside where there is a flat area now.

3/ One person standing on Dragon Hill, will clearly see another person standing on the 'Horse's??' eye. The pathway off Dragon hill points directly at the Horse's ?? eye. Check it out on Google Earth.

Just before sunrise on the Vernal equinox, ( If the hill fort hadn't have been built at a more recent date, spoiling the view ), the two persons in their positions would point to Sirius rising over the hillside, AT AN EARLIER DATE THAN TEXT BOOKS SAY THE HORSE ?? WAS CUT.

What does this mean and what is a dragon? A dragon is a mythical creature that can fly and belches out fire and smoke and sets the trees alight. Dragons also have the reputation of being spiny and having a forked tongue. VTOL aircraft set the trees alight if the are not careful where they hover. Why are the small hillock, the path and the dragons eye lined to point at Sirius????

Welcome!

I don't think it is a dragon.

Hi,

New here.

nice first post Ct Scarlet....welcome to the forum.

mmmmmmmmmmmm Sirius....

that whole area....extending to Avebury and Silbury Hill etc is choc-a-bloc with mystery.

Have you heard about Silbury maybe being a white pyramid originally?

When I have more time I'm going to get my maps out and have a look at alignments with Dragon Hill and Silbury Hill.

:tu:

Hi,

New here.

Welcome to UM.

Would you care to provide references for your ideas on the construction of Dragon Hill itself, and the date when the Uffington White Horse was constructed?

The notion that the path onto Dragon Hill is an alignment with the modern eye of the Bronze-Age horse is ambiguous at best, and actually inaccurate.

Notwithstanding that the Iron-Age hill-fort is not behind the claimed alignment between Dragon Hill and the Horse's eye; equally inaccurate are the ideas/statements on an alignment to the rising of Sirius over the hill before dawn at the northern vernal equinox. Sirius isn't rising before dawn in the spring (any planetarium program illustrates this), and certainly isn't going to rise almost due south.

As for the inferred connections between mythical dragons and contemporary VTOL aircraft - no further comment.

Dragon Hill and Dragon Road may have been named after what people thought was a huge depiction of a dragon.

Maybe next century they will call it "Cat Hill" and ""Cat Road", lol.

...in this they state that It has been referred to as a 'horse' since the 11th-Century. and then go on to say that they think it would have been removed by over-zealous Christian scholars in the 13th or 14th centuries....

im pretty sure then, they would not of called it horse in 11th, if it still had a horn at this time....

Then explain the fangs/whiskers.

It could have been a big cat, and one that doesn't live in Britain.

The image could have been made by Phoenicians of whom is known that they visited the tin mines in southern Britain?

And this is a photo of a British wild cat:

1924695_4eb8f2f3.jpg

Ok, I'm convinced!

It's some kind of cat, possibly a big cat.

Britain has had some wild and exotic animals in the past, and they may have entered into folklore.

Edited by acute alan

To me the body of the animal does indeed look much like horses in the more "older" style.. I am thinking of some Chinese horses and the like that I have seen here and there. They did seem to have that elongated body style often, or at least that is my interpretation of many of them.

However, I do have to say that the lips/whiskers/tongue...cigar maybe? (lol jk) is rather odd. I am not sure what to make of that. Perhaps a look into the local folklore of the area to see what animals were important to them and such would clear it up more. As ashamed as I am to admit as my family is from that region it is one I know little about when it comes to folklore and the like lol.

I do agree though that making any changes to it would be utter destruction and certainly serve no positive purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

nice first post Ct Scarlet....welcome to the forum.

mmmmmmmmmmmm Sirius....

that whole area....extending to Avebury and Silbury Hill etc is choc-a-bloc with mystery.

Have you heard about Silbury maybe being a white pyramid originally?

When I have more time I'm going to get my maps out and have a look at alignments with Dragon Hill and Silbury Hill.

:tu:

Heh, if this PDF represents that 'theory', I wouldn't be bothered by it much:

Based on independent research following the publication of the book

Silbury Dawning: The Alien Visitor Gene Theory and new findings from

the English Heritage Silbury Hill Conservation Project 2007- 2008.

http://silbury.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/silbury-hill-the-white-pyramid3.pdf

• 8 months later...

IMO, kind of stupid.. They want to take a piece of 3,000 art and make a modern addition to it. May as well start defacing other art to suit our wishes as well, blech. Mona Lisa mustache anyone?

I have to think that if the original carvers took the time to make something that has lasted so long, well if it was meant to have a horn they would have carved that in too, and it would have survived just as well as the rest of the carving has.

If these folks want a unicorn so bad.. Why don't they just take their money and find another hill to carve it into?

To me that would just be ruining it. I agree with rashore, if it was supposed to be a unicorn, it would be. Why can`t we just leave special things alone, and not try to change them <_<

How on earthy can they even try and justify defacing an ancient work of art like that?

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me :|

I think that the original Uffington Horse....may have been a stylized dragon...

There is hill very near it called Dragon Hill.

http://www.berkshire...ragon_hill.html

and it may have been put there to represent the natural electro-magnetic-(plasma?) energy lines that criss cross the

countryside (and the whole earth)

where to begin with you lott ?? FIRST i will start with bee . it is called dragon hill for a reason . and that reason is that it is the said place that st george himself slay the dragon . the legend says the grass and vegetation where he slay the dragon did not grow again .

SECONDLY the shape and figure of the horse has been speculated to have changed over the years for a reason . and that is that natural growth and vegetation can bury it in a matter of decades leaving it unseen to the eye and buried below dirt . THERE HAS TO BE an UPKEEP for the horse to be seen . this is and was done once a year by my people for thousands of years .

THIRD . it is also the place where king alfred who was one of the last true kings of england in the 800,s fought off saxon invaders . after summoning an army with the blowing stone AKA the rock of england (research that it will blow your minds ) ALSO when you talk about the oxford mail u must know that the very university of oxford was put into place by none other THAN KING ALFRED he was the first to establish education for his people . with his learning centers he put into place

this is nothing but a small glimpse . a single sentence from a extensive library that is english history .

you should also know that on may day and summer soltice and other special ceremonial and spiritual days throughout the year that were later adapted by dirty christians and intergrated by our people . were all celebrated at the white horse . these practices continued late into the 1700,s

these people were my ancestors . and i will not have people bending truth for fiction, fantasy,fun .

there was no aliens there was no unicorn there was no bigfoot on my land .

but dragons ? ask me about those another day

have a good day .

these people were my ancestors . and i will not have people bending truth for fiction, fantasy,fun .

Quite authoritative, huh?

Discuss, Debate. Enlighten.

Dont command, instruct or show your stiff upper lip. eh!

where to begin with you lott ?? FIRST i will start with bee . it is called dragon hill for a reason . and that reason is that it is the said place that st george himself slay the dragon . the legend says the grass and vegetation where he slay the dragon did not grow again .

And that was on Dragon Hill, right. Not where the Horse is layed out?

SECONDLY the shape and figure of the horse has been speculated to have changed over the years for a reason . and that is that natural growth and vegetation can bury it in a matter of decades leaving it unseen to the eye and buried below dirt . THERE HAS TO BE an UPKEEP for the horse to be seen . this is and was done once a year by my people for thousands of years .

So, you are saying it is definately a horse? Not a dragon?

there was no aliens there was no unicorn there was no bigfoot on my land .

So, it seems you are agreeing with the people who are saying it is not a unicorn, and that it would be wrong to change it? So why did you quote them and seem like you wanted to correct them? Just curious....